Washington shows Rush's limitations

Iago33

Reaction score
That's true for Dak as he only has lead the Cowboys to 6 wins in his career without 100 yards of rushing support.

Cooper Rush, in his 4 starts, has done it twice already.
I wonder what the fewest rushing yards in a win is over the last five years. Was it yesterday?

Brooksey

Reaction score
I think we all know by now that Cooper Rush is a high-IQ quarterback who makes quick decisions but doesn't have great arm strength. The Commanders essentially challenged him to go deep and if they weren't so handsy with our receivers, it would have worked.

He completed one of the deep play-action passes (to Brown, two were interceptions erased by penalty and at least one other turned into pass interference. Those were all go routes.

Even though we scored 25 points with help from those penalties, I would think this would be considered the blueprint for beating Rush. Play the run and the short stuff and force Rush to try to go over the top. With better corner play, there's a good chance you'll be able to catch up before the ball gets to the receiver unless it's a throw like he made to Brown, which happened only once on those routes.

The Pass interference held the receiver back from making the catch and led to the INT. Without pass interference it's a big play for the offense

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
We now have a real legit backup QB Which he was drafted to be. They made the right choice

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
The Pass interference held the receiver back from making the catch and led to the INT. Without pass interference it's a big play for the offense
Yep on both plays one play had holding hands to the face and pass interference from the same defender

Hadenough

Reaction score
You mean the #1 offense in the NFL last year led by Dak? We’ve Hadenough
#1 offense against bad teams passing thier stats.
#32nd offense against equal opponents like Denver , 49ers and Cardinals

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I don't agree. I think Gallup did a good job of getting up to high point the ball, which resulted in interference and is why you attempt those throws, However, there are better corners who could have punched that away without interfering. We'll face one of them next week.

It wasn't a bad throw, though, so I don't have a problem with the throw. It was thrown into double coverage, which I do have a little bit of a problem with.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think his eyes lit up on the first one because he saw that Brown was going to be wide open for a big play. But you've got to realize when pressure isn't going to let you make that throw, especially when you're a quarterback that can't just muscle the ball downfield flat-footed.

The second one was into double coverage. I don't know if he thought he had a window or just thought the safety was going elsewhere.

I think you pretty much nailed it on both. I cringed on both passes. Rush throws a lot of floaters. Accurate floaters, but floaters none the less. Sometimes I laugh when the floater hits the target perfectly. But that TD pass to Lamb this game was a thing of beauty.

sbark

Reaction score
What would Sean Peyton do?.....what can KM do to combat 2021 Denver scheme that Washinton tried

He get a TE with speed iSo on a LB....Hendershot
Run a wheel route with Pollard
Rub routes to help Rush, motion,
Peyton always looked to scheme mismatches, a lot by pre snap motion
If KM hasn't come up with answers yet....

Brooksey

Reaction score
I don't agree. I think Gallup did a good job of getting up to high point the ball, which resulted in interference and is why you attempt those throws, However, there are better corners who could have punched that away without interfering. We'll face one of them next week.

It wasn't a bad throw, though, so I don't have a problem with the throw. It was thrown into double coverage, which I do have a little bit of a problem with.

You can disagree, but you're wrong and it's really easy to see...if you want to.

Flamma

Reaction score
Throwing off his back foot may happen more often if we can’t run the football and we’re facing a stout defensive front. Aaron Donald can certainly make a QB throw off their back foot. We better hope we have some resemblance of a running game against the Rams or the magic carpet ride Cooper Rush is on will come to a crashing end.

I agree with you 100%. Exactly what I was thinking. But they also need to worry about that statue Stafford. We might be getting a few picks. What we do with them is another matter.

leeblair

Reaction score
I think we all know by now that Cooper Rush is a high-IQ quarterback who makes quick decisions but doesn't have great arm strength. The Commanders essentially challenged him to go deep and if they weren't so handsy with our receivers, it would have worked.

He completed one of the deep play-action passes (to Brown, two were interceptions erased by penalty and at least one other turned into pass interference. Those were all go routes.

Even though we scored 25 points with help from those penalties, I would think this would be considered the blueprint for beating Rush. Play the run and the short stuff and force Rush to try to go over the top. With better corner play, there's a good chance you'll be able to catch up before the ball gets to the receiver unless it's a throw like he made to Brown, which happened only once on those routes.
Sounds like you wanted Washington to win.
You'd rather see the Cowboys lose if it means Rush looks good.
Guess what? Washington lost. They couldn't stop Rush without tackling the receivers. Wonder why?
The Cowboys are 3-0 with Rush as quarterback.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I’m guessing that the Cowboys are aware of this too. My question is two fold: 1)Can Wonder Boy scheme us? 2)Can our players adapt and execute?

What’s the best way to scheme around Rush’s limitations? I’d continue to pound the rock. I’d plug in Peters at LG, run uptempo, more Pollard and Turpin, etc. Keep them on their heels with speed and power. Balance…25-30 run, 25-30 pass.

I think establishing the run is probably the only way. I was a little disappointed yesterday that we were so insistent on running inside and didn't try to hit the edges against a defense with two first-rounders in the middle. Our key with Rush has really been running and play-action, but not necessarily for downfield shots like against Washington, but to get some favorable matchups in the passing game and open some things up.

How I think teams are going to counter is by bringing the safeties up closer to the line of scrimmage (not necessarily in the box, though). That gives them extra run defenders and players in the short zones. It essentially dares you to go deep against the one-on-ones and show that you can burn it. I don't think we showed that we could burn it yesterday without defenders committing penalties. So we'll have to run successfully, making them load the box even more tightly, or hit those big plays to make them back off the run and short passing game.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Sounds like you wanted Washington to win.
You'd rather see the Cowboys lose if it means Rush looks good.
Guess what? Washington lost. They couldn't stop Rush without tackling the receivers. Wonder why?
The Cowboys are 3-0 with Rush as quarterback.

Your reading comprehension skills suck.