Washington shows Rush's limitations

leeblair

Reaction score
You mean the #1 offense in the NFL last year led by Dak? We’ve Hadenough
The #1 offense against sub .500 teams and loose defenses.
When it mattered against good teams, Dak was no where to be found.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
One looked like it might've been. The other just looked like a really bad throw. Of course, the stream I had to use kept buffering and jumping around, so I didn't get to see the replays. I could be mistaken.

The throw to Pollard was a poor decision into double coverage. He wasn't the player interfered with. Gallup was grabbed, which negated the penalty.

The other might have been good if Rush had been able to step into it. I don't know if he saw that a penalty was called or if he just saw that Brown was open and threw it anyway. If it's the latter, he shouldn't have done it because he doesn't have the arm strength to make that kind of throw flat-footed.

gimmesix

Reaction score
No, I comprehend just fine. I read what you were wishing for.
It was sad.

No. You are inferring what I wish for, and getting it completely wrong. I have absolutely nothing against Rush. I've enjoyed this run and I've said in multiple threads that Dak shouldn't be put back in as the starter until we lose.

I'm not sold on Dak's health (either mental or physical) right now. He hasn't looked the same since his calf injury in the middle of last season. That doesn't mean we can't point out what Washington that played to Rush's limitation and possibly showed what we can expect from other defenses with him in the game.

leeblair

Reaction score
No. You are inferring what I wish for, and getting it completely wrong. I have absolutely nothing against Rush. I've enjoyed this run and I've said in multiple threads that Dak shouldn't be put back in as the starter until we lose.

I'm not sold on Dak's health (either mental or physical) right now. He hasn't looked the same since his calf injury in the middle of last season. That doesn't mean we can't point out what Washington that played to Rush's limitation and possibly showed what we can expect from other defenses with him in the game.
Then at least give Rush credit for forcing the defenses to commit pass interference in order to stop him.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Then at least give Rush credit for forcing the defenses to commit pass interference in order to stop him.

On the first interception, it was illegal contact by the defender, who didn't have to commit it to make the interception on a throw that came up way short. In fact, the commentator, Olsen, pointed out what the defender did wrong, not keeping his feet moving. Rush was wrong for throwing deep flat-footed because he doesn't have the arm for that.

On the second interception, it was that same corner who held Gallup, but the throw was to Pollard in double coverage, so it was not a good decision.

Had absolutely no problem with the deep throw over the middle to Gallup that drew pass interference. A better corner might have been able to knock it away without interfering, but I like that throw and don't think Dak does enough of those where he gives his receiver a chance to go up and make a play or get an interference call.

The deep throw to Brown was on the money. I can't remember what the other DPI on Gallup was for, but I don't think it was a deep pass (I could be wrong).

All I'm saying is that we're going to have to hit on those throws because that's how we can expect defenses to play us as long as Rush is in there. He's got to prove he can hit them. He didn't but we drew some flags, so I have no problem with that. It shouldn't deter defenses from that blueprint, though: Force Rush to show he can throw deep successfully. The only way to keep them from that really is to run successfully. Then, they can't flood the zone because they have to commit extra defenders to stopping the run. If Rush can hit the deep throws with consistency (or draw penalties) then the blueprint doesn't work, either. But I do question his ability to do that.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Teams use eight man fronts against Dallas and play the underneath routes. The reason for that is because the play calling has historically been loaded with short passes. Sticks, curls, ins, outs, digs, slants... all of that crap is short. Dallas doesn't stretch the field vertically or horizontally too often. Most pass plays are intermediate and over the middle. And that's why you saw so many defenders around Dak's passes against the Bucs. They knew what was coming. So what Washington done is what all teams try to do against us. Because our play calling style hasn't changed in 13 years.

leeblair

Reaction score
On the first interception, it was illegal contact by the defender, who didn't have to commit it to make the interception on a throw that came up way short. In fact, the commentator, Olsen, pointed out what the defender did wrong, not keeping his feet moving. Rush was wrong for throwing deep flat-footed because he doesn't have the arm for that.

On the second interception, it was that same corner who held Gallup, but the throw was to Pollard in double coverage, so it was not a good decision.

Had absolutely no problem with the deep throw over the middle to Gallup that drew pass interference. A better corner might have been able to knock it away without interfering, but I like that throw and don't think Dak does enough of those where he gives his receiver a chance to go up and make a play or get an interference call.

The deep throw to Brown was on the money. I can't remember what the other DPI on Gallup was for, but I don't think it was a deep pass (I could be wrong).

All I'm saying is that we're going to have to hit on those throws because that's how we can expect defenses to play us as long as Rush is in there. He's got to prove he can hit them. He didn't but we drew some flags, so I have no problem with that. It shouldn't deter defenses from that blueprint, though: Force Rush to show he can throw deep successfully. The only way to keep them from that really is to run successfully. Then, they can't flood the zone because they have to commit extra defenders to stopping the run. If Rush can hit the deep throws with consistency (or draw penalties) then the blueprint doesn't work, either. But I do question his ability to do that.
I have no doubt he has limits, but he's playing well overall. Sometimes the choice to throw to a receiver is dictated by another receiver not being open- because of interference, or other reason.
And sometimes you catch a break. As often as the Cowboys get burned by bad calls, that's a relief.
But overall, Rush is playing well. Fortune favors the bold. Sometimes.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
His arm strength is my own big concern about him. He doesn't have the arm strength to throw off his back foot, and with some push up the middle that is what he had to do on those two INTs that weren't INTs.
I'm shocked teams haven't caught on to that. But one thing is for certain....Donald will for sure get some push up the middle.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I have no doubt he has limits, but he's playing well overall. Sometimes the choice to throw to a receiver is dictated by another receiver not being open- because of interference, or other reason.
And sometimes you catch a break. As often as the Cowboys get burned by bad calls, that's a relief.
But overall, Rush is playing well. Fortune favors the bold. Sometimes.

I don't disagree with any of this.

cowboyec

Reaction score
they have arguably the best dline in the league.
that has alot to do...in my opinion...with what we saw yesterday.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why not imagine. Imagine if Prescott was as good as Brady. Excuse me for dreaming. I would love to have a Brady as a quarterback. if deck turned into Mahomes, I would never watch the Cowboys again. I hate that backstabbing clown
So you like to be disappointed.....