Watching 2016 Playoff Game VS GB

aria

Reaction score
The Romo love is ridiculous, he had his chances and blew it. Was it JG’s fault that caused him to throw the INT that sealed their fate against the Giants in the playoffs?

Was it JG’s fault that caused him to do something as simple as catching a snap and holding the ball for FG against Seattle that would have given us the win? Even Parcells saw the writing on the wall after that play and knew he would never be able to win with that loser so he retired. Ya get that? Romo forced Parcells into retirement!

Was it JG that caused Romo to throw an INT and LOSE not one, but two, fumbles against the Vikings in the playoffs?

Off the top of my head that’s THREE playoff games that Romo is largely or directly responsible for losing. Some of you need a wake up call. If that was Dak he would be crucified, as Romo was, but some of you like to ignore facts and history.

jnday

Reaction score
I am not going to praise this team including Dak for this game because we played poorly and didn't deserve to win. Bottom line we didn't get the job done coaching wise or execution wise on the field. It had no business being that close but like always this team wasn't as good as their record would indicate and all the issues that plagued us all season we got away with except versus new York bit us in the behind.

Why can't we accept this fact and stop praising our players for not winning playoff games. Why does it matter if Dak threw touchdowns to Dez and Witten? They ended up losing just like with Tony.

Both like the rest of this team under deliver in the postseason including Zeke for all you who need to get your paanties in a bunch about mentioning dak and not him.

Everyone on this team caught an L.
Cowboys’ fans severely overrates the players and constantly makes excuses for their failures. Very little improvement comes when coaches and especially the owner does the same.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Off the top of my head that’s THREE playoff games that Romo is largely or directly responsible for losing. Some of you need a wake up call. If that was Dak he would be crucified, as Romo was, but some of you like to ignore facts and history.
The assumption is we win the GB 2016 game with Romo as QB instead of Dak. What Romo lovers are essentially claiming is that better QB play would have made the difference in that game, some even suggesting we march on through to the SB title. With that thought process in mind and using the same logic that better QB play would have won games, off the top of my head Romo is now responsible for every single loss in games in which he played.

aria

Reaction score
Romo had a 36.1 QBR against the Vikings in the playoffs. He only completed 50% of his passes against the Giants in the playoffs after his Cabo debacle.

Outside of his homer fan base Romo will always be remembered for being an above average QB for most games but choking when it mattered most.

Some of you need to let go of your Romo delusions, get off his strap and get in touch with reality.

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Romo had a 36.1 QBR against the Vikings in the playoffs. He only completed 50% of his passes against the Giants in the playoffs after his Cabo debacle.

Outside of his homer fan base Romo will always be remedied for being an above average QB for most games but choking when it mattered most.

Some of you need to let go of your Romo delusions, get off his strap and get in touch with reality.
He couldn't even do anything in garbage time against Minnesota or the year before against Philly in week 17. I rewatched that Philly game a few weeks ago. Talk about inaccurate passing. That dude was throwing up ducks left and right. I was thinking about grabbing the shot gun and taking one down.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The 1981 Niners Cowboys - The Catch " will always rank as the No.1 heart-breaking playoff loss of all time
on my time.(and i was just a young kid too)
One game away from the Super Bowl in an NFC title. i was so sure we would have won vs Cincy in that SB.

That's why the 90's dynasty cowboys that won 3 SBs was a very special, rare era.
and made the difference in knocking the Niners outta the NFC title game en route to SB wins.
:cool:

Yup. I was a teenager in high school for that game, and all my friends were for the Cowboys and the most obnoxious kid in school was a 9er fan. God, that sucked! Then it drove me nuts to see their team rise while ours fell after that. That '81 title game also suffered from some bad officiating that handed the game to the 9ers. I was so mad.

glimmerman

Reaction score

Outside of his homer fan base Romo will always be remembered for being an above average QB for most games but choking when it mattered most.

I sure did root for him. He was tough. That don’t help your playing but that 49ers game was awesome. He had some great games. If we had a better Defense I think he had enough talent around him to get us a ring. But he sure had some stinkers. Now we got Dak. Trying to surround him and get a Defense. Is Dak going to be better than Romo. He has a great start.

The 2016 game was Dak right. The whole battling back and Marinelli deciding to bring 3 men on that play, I still believe Irving was held. But Jones killed us on that play. So much hope for that year. O well. Another year coming up.

Swagger

Reaction score
The assumption is we win the GB 2016 game with Romo as QB instead of Dak. What Romo lovers are essentially claiming is that better QB play would have made the difference in that game, some even suggesting we march on through to the SB title. With that thought process in mind and using the same logic that better QB play would have won games, off the top of my head Romo is now responsible for every single loss in games in which he played.

No it's the reality in that every game of football is different. Sometimes the D will effectively get it done and at other times the QB might have to win a shoot out. Nick Foles a classic example during the post season in 2017. The Eagles D effectively won the game vs the Falcons and Foles effectively won a shoot out in the SB vs the Patriots. Do I consider him better than Brady (who himself threw over 500 yards none being Prescott time garbage) of course not. The Eagles D was better on the day than the Patriots D but Foles still had to perform to a very high standard to win a shootout.

The 2016 play off game was effectively a shoot out. Green Bay had a dog**** secondary and our D weren't prepared in the first half against one of the all time greats. We needed to win a shoot out in order to progress and failed to do so. I genuinely think the defense would have played a lot better vs the Falcons had they been given the chance to redeem themselves.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
No it's the reality in that every game of football is different. Sometimes the D will effectively get it done and at other times the QB might have to win a shoot out. Nick Foles a classic example during the post season in 2017. The Eagles D effectively won the game vs the Falcons and Foles effectively won a shoot out in the SB vs the Patriots. Do I consider him better than Brady (who himself threw over 500 yards none being Prescott time garbage) of course not. The Eagles D was better on the day than the Patriots D but Foles still had to perform to a very high standard to win a shootout.

The 2016 play off game was effectively a shoot out. Green Bay had a dog**** secondary and our D weren't prepared in the first half against one of the all time greats. We needed to win a shoot out in order to progress and failed to do so. I genuinely think the defense would have played a lot better vs the Falcons had they been given the chance to redeem themselves.
How many shootouts did we win with Tony? Or let me rephrase, what was our record in shootouts with Tony Romo as QB?

Big_D

Reaction score
If the blame falls mostly on coaching, Isn’t Jerry the one responsible for keeping Jason Garrett for a decade? Despite only making the playoffs 3 times as a head coach.

I agree with you that the coaching wasted a lot of the talent we’ve had. And Jerry has improved the scouting and personnel acquisition with McClay. But Jerry is the one who somehow believed Jason Garrett was “the answer” for more years than a vast majority of NFL GMs or owners would have allowed. It didn’t take most of us a decade to see what Garrett was- an average at best NFL HC.

Who is more responsible for the last ten years- Garrett or Jerry? In my book it’s always the guy with ultimate authority who has to take responsibility.

Jerry's decisions after Parcells left were absolutely ridiculous. He screwed this team up good. The Garrett Phillips hires, then the Williams trade, the drafts.. on and on it goes. Can't really compare todays team to that drivel. It was the usual mess between 2007 and 2012. Someone smartened up and I doubt it was Jerry. But at the same token Garrett sucked. Game day coaching was a joke.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry's decisions after Parcells left were absolutely ridiculous. He screwed this team up good. The Garrett Phillips hires, then the Williams trade, the drafts.. on and on it goes. Can't really compare todays team to that drivel. It was the usual mess between 2007 and 2012. Someone smartened up and I doubt it was Jerry. But at the same token Garrett sucked. Game day coaching was a joke.
I think Jerry’s weird obsession with “credit” after he felt Jimmy got too much in the glory days screwed this franchise for a long time. For some strange reason, Jerry has never seemed to understand that if he hires a great coach (which he did with Jimmy) and lets that coach fully run the locker room and discipline (which Jimmy did), if the team wins a championship, Jerry is going to get a ton of credit for hiring the right guy and letting him do his job.

In a million years, I’ll never understand why a brilliant businessman like Jerry cannot seem to let that credit thing go. It’s like a weird insecurity that only a billionaire with a giant ego could have.

Big_D

Reaction score
I think Jerry’s weird obsession with “credit” after he felt Jimmy got too much in the glory days screwed this franchise for a long time. For some strange reason, Jerry has never seemed to understand that if he hires a great coach (which he did with Jimmy) and lets that coach fully run the locker room and discipline (which Jimmy did), if the team wins a championship, Jerry is going to get a ton of credit for hiring the right guy and letting him do his job.

In a million years, I’ll never understand why a brilliant businessman like Jerry cannot seem to let that credit thing go. It’s like a weird insecurity that only a billionaire with a giant ego could have.

Then to let it go on for as long as he did. Just pathetic and a huge disservice to his players.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then to let it go on for as long as he did. Just pathetic and a huge disservice to his players.
It’s also why I hold Jerry way more responsible for the Garrett era than Garrett.

Someone started an interesting post today about Gil Brandt’s last few years and how he had lost his edge and success of the prior years. From the early 60s-mid 70s, Brandt was a genius at finding talent. But his magic touch eluded him by the 80s.

The lesson in the Brandt story is this: Even great football geniuses like Gil Brandt have an expiration date. Even great coaches like Tom Landry reach a point in time where they were no longer effective.

After nearly a quarter century of Jerry trying to be the face of this franchise in every possible way, surely he has to understand that his day is over. Jerry never was great at personnel or football organizational genius. He’s great at making money. But his time is over. Just like it has been for all the football big shots who either retired, were fired, or died. The problem is, of those three options, death is the only way Jerry accepts that he has an “effectiveness expiration date”. And that stubborn arrogance continues to bog this team down.

MikeB80

Reaction score
The Romo love is ridiculous, he had his chances and blew it. Was it JG’s fault that caused him to throw the INT that sealed their fate against the Giants in the playoffs?

Was it JG’s fault that caused him to do something as simple as catching a snap and holding the ball for FG against Seattle that would have given us the win? Even Parcells saw the writing on the wall after that play and knew he would never be able to win with that loser so he retired. Ya get that? Romo forced Parcells into retirement!

Was it JG that caused Romo to throw an INT and LOSE not one, but two, fumbles against the Vikings in the playoffs?

This is the most ignorant thing I have seen here in a while.

Blaming the giants playoff game on a fourth down with no time left interception. No one was remotely open he threw it up. This kind of post tells me the person knows nothing about football nor the game he is talking about.

Especially when Romo made what should have been the game winning TD throw on third down and Crayton missed the adjustment. If Crayton comes out of the route on time and runs the post it's an all time play, essentially the same as staubach to hill and in the same end zone.

Crayton talked about it the next day on michael irvin's radio show and said he just didn't see it quick enough.

This idea that Romo forced parcells into retirement is literally the dumbest thing I ever read on here. People are so ignorant they actually think that is true.

anyway, enjoy your hating. I see Romo is a major topic again here this week. Must suck to have someone in your head 24x7.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If Romo started the GB playoff game, he probably gets injured in the first quarter. People forget how fragile he was the last two years he played. His back was terrible.
SMH...

How little people understand about physiology (and I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert)...

At that time, Romo's back (and core) was probably the strongest it had been since 2013.

Big_D

Reaction score
It’s also why I hold Jerry way more responsible for the Garrett era than Garrett.

Someone started an interesting post today about Gil Brandt’s last few years and how he had lost his edge and success of the prior years. From the early 60s-mid 70s, Brandt was a genius at finding talent. But his magic touch eluded him by the 80s.

The lesson in the Brandt story is this: Even great football geniuses like Gil Brandt have an expiration date. Even great coaches like Tom Landry reach a point in time where they were no longer effective.

After nearly a quarter century of Jerry trying to be the face of this franchise in every possible way, surely he has to understand that his day is over. Jerry never was great at personnel or football organizational genius. He’s great at making money. But his time is over. Just like it has been for all the football big shots who either retired, were fired, or died. The problem is, of those three options, death is the only way Jerry accepts that he has an “effectiveness expiration date”. And that stubborn arrogance continues to bog this team down.

That same arrogance that existed with a coach who had no experience and no business here, isn't the same with a super bowl winner. He can co exist with a better football coach. We've seen it with Johnson. It's the only option at the moment. It's been the only option and it took this long to see it. Even the 4 with Parcells was all about the stadium which was quite clear after he left. This situation with McCarthy just might be his last opportunity to get any credit at all. I don't see him going back to his moronic ways any time soon. Like the Campo years, the bad trades, the special teams draft. Everything he touched for a long period of time basically turned to crap.

MikeB80

Reaction score
SMH...

How little people understand about physiology (and I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert)...

At that time, Romo's back (and core) was probably the strongest it had been since 2013.

It was and he talked about it a lot. The injury in the preseason was a fluke thing that could have happened to anybody because of the really odd angle it happened on.

Throwing the ball against philadelphia for that one drive he looked like he had more strength in his arm and back then he had in years. That team was built for him to run on the field. It's truly a shame what Garrett/Jones did to him and how he went out.

aria

Reaction score
This is the most ignorant thing I have seen here in a while.

Blaming the giants playoff game on a fourth down with no time left interception. No one was remotely open he threw it up. This kind of post tells me the person knows nothing about football nor the game he is talking about.

Especially when Romo made what should have been the game winning TD throw on third down and Crayton missed the adjustment. If Crayton comes out of the route on time and runs the post it's an all time play, essentially the same as staubach to hill and in the same end zone.

Crayton talked about it the next day on michael irvin's radio show and said he just didn't see it quick enough.

This idea that Romo forced parcells into retirement is literally the dumbest thing I ever read on here. People are so ignorant they actually think that is true.

anyway, enjoy your hating. I see Romo is a major topic again here this week. Must suck to have someone in your head 24x7.
Alright, take away the INT Mr. Football. What are you excuses for his 50% completion rate in that game, I know you have some.

What about the other games I mentioned? What about his 36.1 QBR against the Vikings in the playoffs?

Keep the excuses coming, I love listening to Romoholics come up with excuse after excuse after excuse.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Alright, take away the INT Mr. Football. What are you excuses for his 50% completion rate in that game, I know you have some.

What about the other games I mentioned? What about his 36.1 QBR against the Vikings in the playoffs?

Keep the excuses coming, I love listening to Romoholics come up with excuse after excuse after excuse.

I'm not making excuses. I am telling you what happened because you clearly do not know.

His completion % that game? Really? Anthony Fasano had a TD go through his hands in the third quarter and they had to kick a field goal Romo also had a ball come out funny and he missed an open owens for a TD in that third quarter. Romo was great as was the offense in the first half. In the second half the giants went man to man and pressed owens and he struggled with it due to the bad ankle.

Dallas also had two separate drives killed in that fourth quarter by penalties, one was warranted and one was not. Leonard Davis jumped on Strahan when he was on the ground for no reason causing dallas into 2nd and 20. The next drive romo was called for intentional grounding at the Dallas 40 on first down and it was not IG. That killed the drive. On the tuesday after the game the league said the call was incorrect. That was huge first and 10 at their 40 became 2nd and 20 and Owens was struggling to get open.

one more play in that game early in the fourth quarter, the giants sent an all out blitz and Miles Austin was in the slot on the right and was open for a 70 yard touchdown and Columbo blew his block and then barber was forced to try and block a guy to wide who had beat columbo which resulted in a sack. If columbo holds up for a second more its a go ahead score.

anyway that giants game is not and never was on Romo and only the most ignorant put it on him and the really special people put it on Romo for a 4th down interception with no time left and no one open. That is truly bizarre.

the vikings game in 09 they were simply outmatched. They could not protect in that environment. Dallas actually had a handle on the game in the first quarter until Gerald Sensebaugh committed one of the worst plays I have ever seen where he just jogged behind his wr thinking the ball wouldn't come to him. That swung the momentum. I think a drive or two after this Martellus Bennett dropped a wide open pass on a third down and minnesota scored again. Once the vikings were up there was no way to beat them. They had won ten games in a row at home and I think they were the best team in the league that year. Favre threw the game away in new orleans and I think they would have killed the colts.

btw Romo made his first playoff start at Seattle the defending NFC Champs in front of the best home crowd in the league. He ended up leading a fantastic TD drive right before the half via a great play by Patrick Crayton and then led what should have been the Game Winning Drive inside of two minutes. His first playoff start in the toughest environment in the NFL against the defending NFC Champs. They overturned Witten's first down and the fluke play happened to Romo on the FG.

This exact thing happened to the Giants in 02 and the Commanders in 99. FG hold was dropped resulting in losing a playoff game.

If you need me to explain football to you anymore I will be back later until then I hope all that hate is making your life fulfilling.

aria

Reaction score
I'm not making excuses. I am telling you what happened because you clearly do not know.

His completion % that game? Really? Anthony Fasano had a TD go through his hands in the third quarter and they had to kick a field goal Romo also had a ball come out funny and he missed an open owens for a TD in that third quarter. Romo was great as was the offense in the first half. In the second half the giants went man to man and pressed owens and he struggled with it due to the bad ankle.

Dallas also had two separate drives killed in that fourth quarter by penalties, one was warranted and one was not. Leonard Davis jumped on Strahan when he was on the ground for no reason causing dallas into 2nd and 20. The next drive romo was called for intentional grounding at the Dallas 40 on first down and it was not IG. That killed the drive. On the tuesday after the game the league said the call was incorrect. That was huge first and 10 at their 40 became 2nd and 20 and Owens was struggling to get open.

one more play in that game early in the fourth quarter, the giants sent an all out blitz and Miles Austin was in the slot on the right and was open for a 70 yard touchdown and Columbo blew his block and then barber was forced to try and block a guy to wide who had beat columbo which resulted in a sack. If columbo holds up for a second more its a go ahead score.

anyway that giants game is not and never was on Romo and only the most ignorant put it on him and the really special people put it on Romo for a 4th down interception with no time left and no one open. That is truly bizarre.

the vikings game in 09 they were simply outmatched. They could not protect in that environment. Dallas actually had a handle on the game in the first quarter until Gerald Sensebaugh committed one of the worst plays I have ever seen where he just jogged behind his wr thinking the ball wouldn't come to him. That swung the momentum. I think a drive or two after this Martellus Bennett dropped a wide open pass on a third down and minnesota scored again. Once the vikings were up there was no way to beat them. They had won ten games in a row at home and I think they were the best team in the league that year. Favre threw the game away in new orleans and I think they would have killed the colts.

btw Romo made his first playoff start at Seattle the defending NFC Champs in front of the best home crowd in the league. He ended up leading a fantastic TD drive right before the half via a great play by Patrick Crayton and then led what should have been the Game Winning Drive inside of two minutes. His first playoff start in the toughest environment in the NFL against the defending NFC Champs. They overturned Witten's first down and the fluke play happened to Romo on the FG.

This exact thing happened to the Giants in 02 and the Commanders in 99. FG hold was dropped resulting in losing a playoff game.

If you need me to explain football to you anymore I will be back later until then I hope all that hate is making your life fulfilling.
Very nice recap but it still doesn’t explain a 50% completion rate for someone who is supposed to be as great as some of you make Tony out to be.

A 36% QBR? Yeah, you could say the Vikings brought it and not only was Tony exposed but he was also sacked 6 times in that game. I don’t care how bad the O line was, he was too arrogant and cocky (or dumb) to get rid of the ball quick enough not once, not twice but SIX times!

So about Romo’s first playoff start, nice to know he had a great game but unfortunately he also set the standard for what he would do the rest of his career, choke when it mattered most. Little did we know at the time that that play was giving us a glimpse of the future. Good to know the same thing happened to the Giants and Commanders, I wonder if they still constantly talk about the guy who dropped the snap like he’s some kind of god.

You say you’re not making excuses for him but you go on to talk about all the players who dropped critical passes. Do you think that doesn’t happen to other great QB’s, why don’t you bring up the passes he missed or wide open receivers he didn’t see? Because those were far more often than the few plays that a receiver dropped the ball, that’s why.

Actually, the hate is what I call reality. I’m glad you like to live in a fantasy world where your hero did no wrong and you can’t move on but maybe it’s time for you to face reality. Tony failed several times when it mattered most.