CFZ Way too premature 53 man roster

Sydla

Reaction score
So where are we at halfway through the preseason schedule. I need something to occupy my mind still dealing with the Overshown injury. That just blows. Seemed like an ideal fit for Quinn and his desire to move people around to create confusion/mismatches.

QB (2) - Prescott, Rush
TB (3) - Pollard, Vaughn, Dowdle
WR (6) - Lamb, Gallup, Cooks, Tolbert, Turpin, Brooks
TE (4) - Ferguson, Schoonmaker, Hendershot, McKeon
OL (9) - Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin, Steele, Richards, Ball, Farniok, Waltezko

DE (4) - Lawrence, Williams, Armstrong, Fowler,
DT (5) - Hankins, Smith, Gallimore, Odi, Golston
LB (6) - Parsons, LVE, Clark, Cox, Harper, Jefferson
S (5) - Wilson, Hooker, Kearse, Mukuamu, Bell
CB (6) - Diggs, Gilmore, Bland, Joseph, Lewis, Goodwin

That's 50. Add three special teams dudes and that's your 53.

- I guess you could make Davis or Dowdle interchangeable but Dowdle has looked a little better. I suspect they could also be searching the cuts too for RB help. I might also be light there at TB as they may want 4 given Pollard is coming off injury. Maybe they drop a LB and add a 4th TB.

- If Riachards and Ball really are handling their business, OL depth isn't awful. Farniok is what he is and Waletzko seems to always be talked about positively but he seems to just get nicked up.

- Four DEs look light, I get it, but Parsons is basically a DE and Golston is a swing guy. Fehoko? Ehhh, try to practice squad him.

- I know people think Gallimore is getting cut but I think given there isn't much behind the Smith, Hankins, Odi trio, I think he sticks. Total disappointment for me. I thought he would develop into a real nice DT.

- I might be heavy at LB but again, Parsons is a DE too.

- Crazy as it sounds, Joseph seems to have at least held his own at CB although he's had some pretty noticeable gaffes at times. But if someone wants to swap out him for Wright, I guess I can't really complain.

Last edited:

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Appreciate the write-up. You have to consider too any veteran cuts that may take place on league cut-down day as that could have an impact on the future of some of the younger Dallas 'bubble/barely made the roster' players. There could also be trades that impact things if Dallas cuts alerted to a player being released that they don't want exposed to other teams.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So where are we at halfway through the preseason schedule. I need something to occupy my mind still dealing with the Overshown injury. That just blows. Seemed like an ideal fit for Quinn and his desire to move people around to create confusion/mismatches.

QB (2) - Prescott, Rush
OL (9) - Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin, Steele, Richards, Ball, Farniok, Waltezko

- I guess you could make Davis or Dowdle interchangeable but Dowdle has looked a little better. I suspect they could also be searching the cuts too for RB help. I might also be light there at TB as they may want 4 given Pollard is coming off injury. Maybe they drop a LB and add a 4th TB.

- If Riachards and Ball really are handling their business, OL depth isn't awful. Farniok is what he is and Waletzko seems to always be talked about positively but he seems to just get nicked up.

- Four DEs look light, I get it, but Parsons is basically a DE and Golston is a swing guy. Fehoko? Ehhh, try to practice squad him.

- I know people think Gallimore is getting cut but I think given there isn't much behind the Smith, Hankins, Odi trio, I think he sticks. Total disappointment for me. I thought he would develop into a real nice DT.

- Crazy as it sounds, Joseph seems to have at least held his own at CB although he's had some pretty noticeable gaffes at times. But if someone wants to swap out him for Wright, I guess I can't really complain.
I don't disagree except I don't think they take 4 tight ends I think they like both Wright and Joseph right now. They really should cut Goodwin for Joseph but I'm not sure how they bring that many corners.....

Also confused about Fehoko. He and Eric Scott should be practice squad but do they risk it?

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Reasonable shot at it OP. I think you've got WR and RB right.

I predict only 3 TE on the initial roster. Also, Lewis will be on IR.

DE Fehoko will not be exposed on the PS. He was a 4th round pick, and would get poached 100%.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

QB (2) - Prescott, Rush

I have to think they consider adding someone at offensive guard.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Don't like four tight ends on the 53, or a sixth receiver who will never be active or Goodwin who does only one thing(special teams), time to move on from him...

starfan1

Reaction score

QB (2) - Prescott, Rush

Id like to see Isiah Land maybe make roster and McKeon can get stepping. I also wouldnt be surprised to see a vet or 2 that changes the landscape of things

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I think they'll 86 Waltezko and bring in Peters.

Also, I have not heard much on Edoga's prognosis.

Fehoko is probably a lock. I don't think they try to PS a 4th rounder.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Reasonable shot at it OP. I think you've got WR and RB right.

I predict only 3 TE on the initial roster. Also, Lewis will be on IR.

DE Fehoko will not be exposed on the PS. He was a 4th round pick, and would get poached 100%.
Yeah I kind of think so too. They traded up for Eric Scott but he was a 6th so I can see them putting him on PS. A 4th rounder though in Fehoko is gonna be much tougher to get away with. I mean if I'm a team that had a 4th or 5th round grade on him id' for sure cut someone for him.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Jalen Crooper did not flash enough in TC? That was your big UDFA get this year, no?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I think that's about right. Probably a vet OL added

Edoga is likely in there too, though I have no idea if he's healthy or not.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't disagree except I don't think they take 4 tight ends I think they like both Wright and Joseph right now. They really should cut Goodwin for Joseph but I'm not sure how they bring that many corners.....

Also confused about Fehoko. He and Eric Scott should be practice squad but do they risk it?
Goodwin still gives you quality special teams play but again, it seems like the bottom of the CB barrel is all interchangeable at this point.

Sydla

Reaction score
Don't like four tight ends on the 53, or a sixth receiver who will never be active or Goodwin who does only one thing(special teams), time to move on from him...
One thing I should have pointed out............. I built this in part, by looking historically at what the Cowboys do with their initial 53. Often times, they have at least 6 WRs on that initial list.

TE, with 4, I may have reached a bit however. I could see McKeon getting the heave ho.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I also dont think they go 6 LB. Jefferson doesn't make the team.

Eric Scott will be on the roster

Lewis is probably starting on PUP, so you'll have an extra spot.