CFZ Way too premature 53 man roster

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So where are we at halfway through the preseason schedule. I need something to occupy my mind still dealing with the Overshown injury. That just blows. Seemed like an ideal fit for Quinn and his desire to move people around to create confusion/mismatches.

QB (2) - Prescott, Rush
TB (3) - Pollard, Vaughn, Dowdle
WR (6) - Lamb, Gallup, Cooks, Tolbert, Turpin, Brooks
TE (4) - Ferguson, Schoonmaker, Hendershot, McKeon
OL (9) - Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin, Steele, Richards, Ball, Farniok, Waltezko

DE (4) - Lawrence, Williams, Armstrong, Fowler,
DT (5) - Hankins, Smith, Gallimore, Odi, Golston
LB (6) - Parsons, LVE, Clark, Cox, Harper, Jefferson
S (5) - Wilson, Hooker, Kearse, Mukuamu, Bell
CB (6) - Diggs, Gilmore, Bland, Joseph, Lewis, Goodwin

That's 50. Add three special teams dudes and that's your 53.

- I guess you could make Davis or Dowdle interchangeable but Dowdle has looked a little better. I suspect they could also be searching the cuts too for RB help. I might also be light there at TB as they may want 4 given Pollard is coming off injury. Maybe they drop a LB and add a 4th TB.

- If Riachards and Ball really are handling their business, OL depth isn't awful. Farniok is what he is and Waletzko seems to always be talked about positively but he seems to just get nicked up.

- Four DEs look light, I get it, but Parsons is basically a DE and Golston is a swing guy. Fehoko? Ehhh, try to practice squad him.

- I know people think Gallimore is getting cut but I think given there isn't much behind the Smith, Hankins, Odi trio, I think he sticks. Total disappointment for me. I thought he would develop into a real nice DT.

- I might be heavy at LB but again, Parsons is a DE too.

- Crazy as it sounds, Joseph seems to have at least held his own at CB although he's had some pretty noticeable gaffes at times. But if someone wants to swap out him for Wright, I guess I can't really complain.
I would keep Bass over McKeon. 3 deep TE is enough, OL depth is critical.
I I would Keep Hoffman over Farniok perhaps.
I would keep Fehoko over Gholston (I don't think we can stash him in PS).

I would love to find a way to keep Land.....

Mr_437

Reaction score
Big Bo is more valuable the Gallimore.
Junior Fehoko is making the team.
Idk if Brooks makes the 53, may carry 5.
Time to move on from Goodwin.
Thomas should be on this team.

Einstein

Reaction score
Just remember the madness that was our initial 53 last year... no LS and no P I think, and Goodwin wasn't on it, all only to be brought back as players were put on IR so they could return.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Fehoko is 267 on the roster. He's not making the roster as a DT over Gallimore. Golston is only 268.

There is not really much of a chance they go into the season with 2 pseudo DTs in their rotation that weigh less than 270. Now Fehoko making it ove Golston? That's a possibility.
No it's not.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys don't need 6 LBs. They cut/move either Harper or Jefferson to the practice squad.

Cowboys need 10 Olinemen, not 9. Too many risks and questions on both starting Tackles health (Tyron & Steele), plus no way does TJ Bass make it on to the practice squad. Someone will steal him. Best to keep TJ Bass since he's a cheap undrafted rookie who has looked very good in preseason.

Lastly, I would question keeping a very old Goodwin over Nahshon Wright at CB. Wright was a 4th round draft pick who is young and can play better as a backup CB than Goodwin can. Also, I would rather keep Big Bohanna over Gallimore or Golston at the 1-tech NT position. Golston is too light and will get pushed out of the way against the run up the middle, plus Gallimore has been a big disappearing act most of his time in Dallas. Keeping Bohanna is a must due to his size and slow improvement inside compared to the other 2.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Cowboys don't need 6 LBs. They cut/move either Harper or Jefferson to the practice squad.

Cowboys need 10 Olinemen, not 9. Too many risks and questions on both starting Tackles health (Tyron & Steele), plus no way does TJ Bass make it on to the practice squad. Someone will steal him. Best to keep TJ Bass since he's a cheap undrafted rookie who has looked very good in preseason.

Lastly, I would question keeping a very old Goodwin over Nahshon Wright at CB. Wright was a 4th round draft pick who is young and can play better as a backup CB than Goodwin can. Also, I would rather keep Big Bohanna over Gallimore or Golston at the 1-tech NT position. Golston is too light and will get pushed out of the way against the run up the middle, plus Gallimore has been a big disappearing act most of his time in Dallas. Keeping Bohanna is a must due to his size and slow improvement inside compared to the other 2.
#Bohanna

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You can keep a 3rd QB that won’t count against your game day roster numbers but he still counts on the 53.
According to the new bylaws, teams may designate an emergency quarterback who can be activated in the event that the team's first two quarterbacks are either injured or disqualified. The emergency quarterback must exit the game If the medical staff clears either of the injured quarterbacks to return to action. The emergency quarterback would again be eligible to play in the event of another emergency.
I think that means he’s really on the practice squad. No one can take him, but he’s allowed to play that day if necessary.

Carson

Reaction score
According to the new bylaws, teams may designate an emergency quarterback who can be activated in the event that the team's first two quarterbacks are either injured or disqualified. The emergency quarterback must exit the game If the medical staff clears either of the injured quarterbacks to return to action. The emergency quarterback would again be eligible to play in the event of another emergency.
I think that means he’s really on the practice squad. No one can take him, but he’s allowed to play that day if necessary.
Must be on the 53. But doesnt count towards gameday actives

For starters, the third quarterback must be on the 53-man roster. This could prompt plenty of teams to never utilize it.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...utlines-procedure-for-using-third-quarterback

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You can keep a 3rd QB that won’t count against your game day roster numbers but he still counts on the 53.
I’m confused a little bit. If he’s on the roster then what’s the big deal?

Carson

Reaction score
How many Gameday active players. Does he make 54? Where is the exception? 53 man roster, are you not allowed to have three quarterbacks on game day?
The number remains the same for active game day players. But you won’t have to choose your 3rd string QB over an extra lineman or special teams guy.

To the best of my understanding

- Grier or other QB makes 53
- Gameday actives remain the same
- Grier is allowed to dress for game days as emergency QB
- He does not need to be active
- Only way he enters the game is if Dak and Rush are hurt. If they are ruled eligible to come back he immediately becomes Inactive again

Carson

Reaction score
I’m confused a little bit. If he’s on the roster then what’s the big deal?
The plus it allows an extra lineman, linebacker, special team guy etc.

Instead of having to go light at certain positions.You now can have a guy like Devin Harper active

Sandyf

Reaction score
Guess my take is a bit different.

QB (2) - Prescott, Rush
TB (3) - Pollard, Vaughn, Dowdle
WR (6) - Lamb, Gallup, Cooks, Tolbert, Turpin, Fehoko
TE (4) - Ferguson, Schoonmaker, Hendershot, McKeon
OL (9) - Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin, Steele, Richards, Ball, Farniok, Waltezko

DE (4) - Lawrence, Williams, Armstrong, Parsons
DT (5) - Hankins, Smith, Fehoko, Odi, Golston
LB (6) - LVE, Clark, Cox, Harper, Land, Thomas
S (5) - Wilson, Hooker, Kearse, Mukuamu, Bell
CB (6) - Diggs, Gilmore, Bland, Joseph, Wright, Scott
ST (3) - Anger, Siegal, Aubrey

Land can play LB and DE and is a beast on ST.
Thomas played a lot of where Overshown played and ST.

Believe Gallimore, Lewis and Goodwin are traded for late round picks.

Redwine, Overshown and Stephen's go on season ending IR.

Edoga on PUP or cut

Practice Squad (16)
Grier QB
Davis, Luepke RB
Bass, Bostwick OL
Brooks, Cropper, Drummond, Houston WR
Fant TE
Jefferson LB
Coyle S
Butler, Brooks CB
Johnson, Wheat DL