CFZ Way too premature 53 man roster

cej757

Reaction score
I think Juanyeh Thomas or Isiah Land make the 53. I really don't want to expose Land to waivers.

Carson

Reaction score
I think Juanyeh Thomas or Isiah Land make the 53. I really don't want to expose Land to waivers.
Lewis to the PUP
Thomas / Scott over Goodwin
Land over Jefferson

A few moves off the top of my head

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So where are we at halfway through the preseason schedule. I need something to occupy my mind still dealing with the Overshown injury. That just blows. Seemed like an ideal fit for Quinn and his desire to move people around to create confusion/mismatches.

QB (2) - Prescott, Rush
TB (3) - Pollard, Vaughn, Dowdle
WR (6) - Lamb, Gallup, Cooks, Tolbert, Turpin, Brooks
TE (4) - Ferguson, Schoonmaker, Hendershot, McKeon
OL (9) - Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin, Steele, Richards, Ball, Farniok, Waltezko

DE (4) - Lawrence, Williams, Armstrong, Fowler,
DT (5) - Hankins, Smith, Gallimore, Odi, Golston
LB (6) - Parsons, LVE, Clark, Cox, Harper, Jefferson
S (5) - Wilson, Hooker, Kearse, Mukuamu, Bell
CB (6) - Diggs, Gilmore, Bland, Joseph, Lewis, Goodwin

That's 50. Add three special teams dudes and that's your 53.

- I guess you could make Davis or Dowdle interchangeable but Dowdle has looked a little better. I suspect they could also be searching the cuts too for RB help. I might also be light there at TB as they may want 4 given Pollard is coming off injury. Maybe they drop a LB and add a 4th TB.

- If Riachards and Ball really are handling their business, OL depth isn't awful. Farniok is what he is and Waletzko seems to always be talked about positively but he seems to just get nicked up.

- Four DEs look light, I get it, but Parsons is basically a DE and Golston is a swing guy. Fehoko? Ehhh, try to practice squad him.

- I know people think Gallimore is getting cut but I think given there isn't much behind the Smith, Hankins, Odi trio, I think he sticks. Total disappointment for me. I thought he would develop into a real nice DT.

- I might be heavy at LB but again, Parsons is a DE too.

- Crazy as it sounds, Joseph seems to have at least held his own at CB although he's had some pretty noticeable gaffes at times. But if someone wants to swap out him for Wright, I guess I can't really complain.
The OL choices might be interesting. I don't know how we feel about Edoga, but based on Waletzko's play, I'm not sure that we can feel worse about him than we do the injured draft pick. I had Bass over Ball, but after dissecting our first two drives Saturday, I've changed my mind about that. I still want him on the roster and would keep him over Waletzko or Edoga.

I'd prefer to go with five receivers and put Brooks on the PS, to keep Ball, but I don't think Dallas will risk that. Just don't think Brooks has shown enough to get claimed. Maybe we cut McKeon initially for room and play him off the practice squad for a few games.

On defense, I'm replacing Jefferson with Land. The UDFA has been outstanding. I'm also replacing Gallimore with Fehoko just based on potential vs. lack of development.

I think Scott ends up on the initial 53 as well, as we put Goodwin on the PS to start like we did last year and bring him up for three games before finding a roster spot for him. I'm having trouble not finding a place for Juanyeh Thomas, but I do prefer the other safeties over him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Goodwin still gives you quality special teams play but again, it seems like the bottom of the CB barrel is all interchangeable at this point.
He does but at some point if Joseph can’t replace him and what he offers in ST then it’s time to move on from one of them.

Sydla

Reaction score
The OL choices might be interesting. I don't know how we feel about Edoga, but based on Waletzko's play, I'm not sure that we can feel worse about him than we do the injured draft pick. I had Bass over Ball, but after dissecting our first two drives Saturday, I've changed my mind about that. I still want him on the roster and would keep him over Waletzko or Edoga.

I'd prefer to go with five receivers and put Brooks on the PS, to keep Ball, but I don't think Dallas will risk that. Just don't think Brooks has shown enough to get claimed. Maybe we cut McKeon initially for room and play him off the practice squad for a few games.

On defense, I'm replacing Jefferson with Land. The UDFA has been outstanding. I'm also replacing Gallimore with Fehoko just based on potential vs. lack of development.

I think Scott ends up on the initial 53 as well, as we put Goodwin on the PS to start like we did last year and bring him up for three games before finding a roster spot for him. I'm having trouble not finding a place for Juanyeh Thomas, but I do prefer the other safeties over him.
I went back and looked at the previous few years of 53 man rosters and they always had at least 4 true DTs on that initial list. If you dump Gallimore for Fehoko, you only have 3 true DTs on the roster as Golston is kind of a tweener. If Gallimore gets dumped, it would likely be for a vet DT they picked up or Bohanna, not for a fringe DE IMO.

Motorola

Reaction score
I don't disagree except I don't think they take 4 tight ends I think they like both Wright and Joseph right now. They really should cut Goodwin for Joseph but I'm not sure how they bring that many corners.....

Also confused about Fehoko. He and Eric Scott should be practice squad but do they risk it?
'TMC' - I'm thinking with the current Injury Reserve Rules, the Cowboys could finagle both DLine Fehoko and CB Scott be put on that list - therefore avoiding exposure to other teams via waiver wire.
Upside ---- the players don't count against the 53-roster limit.
Downside ---- the players are forced to miss the entire season.

If I'm wrong on my understanding -- feel free (and others) to correct me.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I went back and looked at the previous few years of 53 man rosters and they always had at least 4 true DTs on that initial list. If you dump Gallimore for Fehoko, you only have 3 true DTs on the roster as Golston is kind of a tweener. If Gallimore gets dumped, it would likely be for a vet DT they picked up or Bohanna, not for a fringe DE IMO.
Golston and Fehoko are both 5-techs, 3-techs in this scheme not true DEs. Because of having Hankins and Mazi, they don't need anyone else who can play the 1, so I think they would be fine with essentially having three 3s in Odig, Golston and Fehoko.

Sydla

Reaction score
Golston and Fehoko are both 5-techs, 3-techs in this scheme not true DEs. Because of having Hankins and Mazi, they don't need anyone else who can play the 1, so I think they would be fine with essentially having three 3s in Odig, Golston and Fehoko.
Fehoko is 267 on the roster. He's not making the roster as a DT over Gallimore. Golston is only 268.

There is not really much of a chance they go into the season with 2 pseudo DTs in their rotation that weigh less than 270. Now Fehoko making it ove Golston? That's a possibility.

Motorola

Reaction score
We can also carry 3 quarterbacks and it won't count against the 53 roster spots
I don’t think that’s how it works.
Stash - you are right.
I, along with Coogiguy03 and others - misinterpreted the emergency QB rule during the upcoming season.
QB3 must be on the 53 player roster - he cannot be on the practice squad, then elevated on game day to come in and play if QB1 and QB2 are injured in the same game.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
So where are we at halfway through the preseason schedule. I need something to occupy my mind still dealing with the Overshown injury. That just blows. Seemed like an ideal fit for Quinn and his desire to move people around to create confusion/mismatches.

QB (2) - Prescott, Rush
OL (9) - Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin, Steele, Richards, Ball, Farniok, Waltezko

- I guess you could make Davis or Dowdle interchangeable but Dowdle has looked a little better. I suspect they could also be searching the cuts too for RB help. I might also be light there at TB as they may want 4 given Pollard is coming off injury. Maybe they drop a LB and add a 4th TB.

- If Riachards and Ball really are handling their business, OL depth isn't awful. Farniok is what he is and Waletzko seems to always be talked about positively but he seems to just get nicked up.

- Four DEs look light, I get it, but Parsons is basically a DE and Golston is a swing guy. Fehoko? Ehhh, try to practice squad him.

- I know people think Gallimore is getting cut but I think given there isn't much behind the Smith, Hankins, Odi trio, I think he sticks. Total disappointment for me. I thought he would develop into a real nice DT.

- Crazy as it sounds, Joseph seems to have at least held his own at CB although he's had some pretty noticeable gaffes at times. But if someone wants to swap out him for Wright, I guess I can't really complain.
No, I think you're right about Wright. Not sure much upside keeping him anymore. If they want raw youth, why not go with Scott. They want raw talent, go with Joseph. Goodwin special teams Ace. So on....

Hate to say it, but you're right on DT depth. Although I would wager either Gallimore or Golston goes. Just not both. That's a prime spot for finding a cut somewhere else. And Bohanna might have better shot than Gallimore and Gholston if those 2 are mop-up duty only in second half. Didn't see the playing time for that position last week. Team seems focused more on 1-tech and not repeating run defense mistakes from last year.

Agree with 4 TEs. Agree Grier has no shot. Agree on 5 Safeties now that Overshown is out.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Fehoko is 267 on the roster. He's not making the roster as a DT over Gallimore. Golston is only 268.

There is not really much of a chance they go into the season with 2 pseudo DTs in their rotation that weigh less than 270. Now Fehoko making it ove Golston? That's a possibility.
I think Golston's spot is secured based on his play late last season ... as an interior 3-tech pass rusher. Last June, Golston's weight was listed as 268, but he said he added 20 pounds. I don't know if he kept it, but that would put him closer to 290.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

QB (2) - Prescott, Rush

Some changes:

-Id cut Jefferson and keep Land. There could be some upside there. Dont really need 6 LB's with Kearse and Bell

- Id cut McKeon and Waletzco and keep Bostic and Bass. With Schoonmaker healthy, I don't think we need McKeon. Waletzco has looked bad. I think we would have a better shot at keeping him on the PS than Bostic and Bass

- Id keep Fehoko over Gallimore. Fehoko hasnt really shown anything, but neither has Gallimore. Fehoko still has some room to grow. We are thin either way, and a serviceable 3T is place Id consider a trade. Even of you are talking a guy somewhat jaggy

Mannix

Reaction score
For the life of me, I'll never understand the four (4) TE's thing. BTW.....I haven't heard a peep about the two (2) UDFA WR's that were getting so much hype post draft....nothing but crickets. Did they not show anything?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I believe Golston was playing at 295 last season