WCO in the NFL

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Are the Cowboz ready for a WCO this year?
Can J.J. and the WRs do well after in the YAC?

As some of you may know, here's the initial script that will be altered by each WCO team ...

... the WCO relies on short passes to multiple receivers (WRs, TEs and RBs) to spread the offense, then the receivers must turn the short play into a long one with "YAC." The offense usually also requires a quarterback that can scramble and escape the pocket if needed.

or, do you think the Cowboz will ...

rely on shotgun, deep passes and power running games?
Is Bledsoe a "pocket" QB -- or can he bootleg and scramble when blitzed or in the RZ?

Just curious ...

I've read a Lot about the Cowboz going into a 3 -4 "D" setup with 2 DEs, a big fat nose tackle (NT) and 4 LBs (3 defensive linemen and 4 linebackers -- versus the 4-3 "D" setup, with 2 DEs, 2 DTs and 3 LBs (4 defensive linemen and 3 linebackers.

Which do you feel the COwboz are more aligned (taking the 2005 draft & FA into consideration)?

Here are just a few teams that run the WCO ...

[size=-1]Green Bay[/size]
[size=-1]San Francisco[/size]
[size=-1]Philadelphia[/size] (East)
[size=-1]Baltimore[/size]
[size=-1]Seattle[/size]
[size=-1]New Orleans[/size]
[size=-1]Dallas[/size] (East)
[size=-1]NY Giants[/size] (East)
[size=-1]Detroit[/size]

How do you think Arizona will stack up against the NFC-East?

Good Hunting -- git some :)

75-800x600.jpg

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Drew Bledsoe is not a West Coast Offense QB.

Could that present a problem, or do you think Bill will require him to learn the WCO? Also, what is Bledsoe's style offense?

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I have never considered what we ran a WCO. More of a power run game and stretch the field with the pass. I don't recall us running a lot of swing passes, bootlegs, and roll outs.

Hoov

Reaction score
Where do you get that the cowboys will run a WCO ?

Parcells beleives in a power running game, when he does pass he likes to throw doenfield more often than not.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I have never considered what we ran a WCO. More of a power run game and stretch the field with the pass. I don't recall us running a lot of swing passes, bootlegs, and roll outs.

Is that right? I do know that the WCO can be run differently from one WCO team to the next. I mean there's no exact system, but the short pass system is featured relying heavily on the YAC.

playit12

Reaction score
The cowboys aren't set up to run the west coast offense.

We don't have a great pass catching RB,
We aren't deep at WR,
We are deeper at TE,
Our line is better in run blocking,
Our QB is a 7 step drop QB,
Running the WCO would prevent Glenn from running outs and post routes (His bread and butter)
And finally, we don't have enough big targets at WR.

We will run the same offense we have run for years. A play action, power running offense. We run well between the tackles and we pass well in mid range.

The run sets up 8 men in the box which makes seam routes dangerous. Seam routes usually are slower developing than traditional Slants and hooks that you run in the WCO. That's why we use the 7 step drop instead of 3 and 5 step drops. Our line is large and slow, which is good for creating and holding a pocket. We don't have a mobile QB, which combined with our line, means you won't see many rollouts or bootlegs.

Taking advantage of the Seams forces teams to pull up their saftey's into a tighter zone coverage and opens up the deep route for a speedy reciever (Glenn) to stretch the field.

Finally, when the D starts stunting to show 8 in the box before pulling back into zone coverage we run draws to take advantage of the soft interior D.

That's our Offense in order...

Run in gaps 1-5,
Pass around the hash marks and in the seams (10-15 yards),
Take a shot down field on a go route,
Run the Draw,
Repeat...

By the way I take exception to the idea that all the teams you cited really run a WCO. Green Bay is a good example of a "sort-of" WCO. Farve more and more is doing a full drop. Plus they are more of a running team now, then a team that uses the short pass as a run. Even their best WR (Walker) is running mostly routes (15+ yards) that aren't what you would expect from the number 1 in a WCO.

The cover two and various other zone defenses, combined with faster linebackers, taller front 4 linemen, and better bump and run coverages have really hurt the WCO.

StateCollegeCowboy

aka BostonCowboy
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Is that right? I do know that the WCO can be run differently from one WCO team to the next. I mean there's no exact system, but the short pass system is featured relying heavily on the YAC.

Well, our system is based on a power running game with draws, playaction, and downfield passing supplimenting that running game.

Bill has said many times how he hates a short passing game. "If you are going to go short, then just run the ball" <--Paraphrasing Bill here.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Hoov said:
Where do you get that the cowboys will run a WCO ?

Parcells beleives in a power running game, when he does pass he likes to throw doenfield more often than not.

Hold on Hoov -- I'm not sayIng the Cowboz will/will not run the WCO. I'll repeat what I'm asking for you. With your current 2005 draft/FA pickups, do you feel that the Cowboz will run some variation of the WCO or ...the run game.

Also asked some 3-4/4-3 "D" scheme questions.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
StateCollegeCowboy said:
The Cowboys do not run the WCO.

That determination was based on the makeup of the Cowboz offensive squad; not simply because they did'nt wasnt to -- I read somewhere that the COwboz did run the WCO in 2001 (not trying to be contradicting).

StateCollegeCowboy

aka BostonCowboy
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Hold on Hoov -- I'm not sayIng the Cowboz will/will not run the WCO. I'll repeat what I'm asking for you. With your current 2005 draft/FA pickups, do you feel that the Cowboz will run some variation of the WCO or ...the run game.

You might a little more passes to our RBs this year, as opposed to previous years, but nothing to the level of what the Eagles or other WCO style teams do.

31smackdown

Reaction score
I never thought of the Cowboys as a WCO. I'm not sure what you call it but they will be very run and TE oriented, Glenn will stretch the field deep a couple of times a game. A lot of checkdowns to the backs and TE out of the backfield. You will see them move the pocket around so the defense can't just target one spot. I don't expect many bootlegs, maybe a sprint out or two.

As far as defense, it looks like it will be mostly 3-4, with some occasional 4-3 looks.

Hoov

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:

Im agreeing with the other posters, parcells does not like the short passing game to much. We will run the ball a lot, throw to key and witten to move the chains and look for glen for deeper passes. sometimes parcells mixes it up with a pass to a back or short throw to Campbell (blocking TE).

on D there will be both 3-4 and 4-3, how this is all going to play out i dont know as this year should be a very different look on D for us and parcells isnt saying too much at this point.

StateCollegeCowboy

aka BostonCowboy
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
That determination was based on the makeup of the Cowboz offensive squad; not simply because they did'nt wasnt to -- I read somewhere that the COwboz did run the WCO in 2001 (not trying to be contradicting).

They did run a WCO style one year, while Campo was here with Hutch at QB and that horrible OC (I have purposely blocked out his name from my memory). It was a one year experiment that failed before it began. We were trying to fit square pegs into round holes with the type of personell we had.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Dayam it's good to read something from someone who isn't about flaming an answer to a simple series of questions -- thanks man!:)

I'm obviously not a Cowboz fan so I wouldn't have know some of what you told me, so I appreciate the information.

playit12 said:
By the way I take exception to the idea that all the teams you cited really run a WCO. Green Bay is a good example of a "sort-of" WCO. [/QUOTE]

No, don't take exception, I only highlight those teams because they had at some point in time ran the WCO (Cowboz In 2001); some currently still do (Eagles). Greenbay hsould be interesting to watch how they or any team overcomes the B&R defense on receivers.

Nice chatting. Good luck this year!