We are compromised

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Great post, Hawkeye! The Cowboys' offense as it now stands has enough issues to boggle the mind. While Linehan has a multitude of problems to deal with, so will his replacement. Will it be any easier for another OC to deal with such deficiencies? I'll venture to guess, we might find out! :rolleyes:

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Great Post !!!! Our success has always hinged on the Oline . It covers up the weaknesses that Garrett and Dak have

With the Oline banged up like this we are badly exposed . The rest of the season depends on how healthy we can get those guys up front pure and simple and its not looking real good right now .

Garret is just not able to scheme around this and pull the rabbit out of the hat and Dak is not a finished product that can elevate the team with 3rd stringers playing line .

We need to fix it fast !!!
Garrett does a terrible job scheming around injuries. His mantra is next man up. The next man up is never as good as the starter so we struggle mightily when we have just a couple of injuries.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys offensive line is not a top 10 OL. They are second worst in holding calls and sacks allowed. Those 2 metrics alone scream, "we need help!"

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Sure, I'm just saying that comparing Travis Frederick to Aaron Rodgers is ridiculous. Most linemen in the NFL can make line calls, and I'm sure Martin does it just fine.

Sua-Filo is playing b/c they drafted on a guy who wasn't ready, not because of injury.

It's not just line calls, it's continuity as a unit. They all have to know how to handle stunts, twists, blitzes, how and when to pass those off. They're obviously not as talented, but don't have the same experience and communication together, there's only so much time in practice during the week to work on that.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
So when Aaron Rodgers gets hurt, the really good GB coach yells "GO THROW PERFECT PASSES IN THE 4TH QUARTER" at the backup.

Then they win.

Got it.

dear lords.

again, you adjust, good coaches can adjust. Garrett cant. Like ive been saying, punch garrett in the face, he folds.

You lose Aaron Rogers, you dont play ARs game. You can still win.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Great post, Hawkeye! The Cowboys' offense as it now stands has enough issues to boggle the mind. While Linehan has a multitude of problems to deal with, so will his replacement. Will it be any easier for another OC to deal with such deficiencies? I'll venture to guess, we might find out! :rolleyes:

I believe that with adequate protection and the addition of Cooper— this offense under Linehan could be competent and effective— especially paired with a top 5 D.

However... Without good OL play— Linehan’s scheme is exposed. His predictable play calling and minimal adjustments have been well chronicled already.

The house of cards comes down as soon as we get mediocre or worse OL play...

75boyz

Reaction score
Agree with the need for better coaching for sure. We don’t put our players in the best position to succeed— and that is the coaching staff’s first and most important responsibility.

QB is a tougher call for me. How much of Dak’s struggles are related to the coaching issues and the result of a bad scheme fit?

The OL struggles certainly affect him as well. The Dak decision is huge. I would like to see him next year in a system suited to his style and behind a healthy OL.

If he regresses or fails to show development— then it is time to walk away for sure

Lot of truth to your points and I won't disagree to an extent. I've had the same discussion with Furboy and do agree with both of you that maybe a
coaching to Dak's strengths would offer a more productive offense. BUT ultimately to what level I ask myself. For the life of me, even as outdated, antiquated and predictable as the scheme is, plays AND points are being left on the field at an alarming rate.
Warner's piece on Daks inability to pull the trigger on basic NFL passes that should have been scores was an eye opener.

So while I agree that the scheme is outdated, I more see that the QB lacks any ability to complete all the opportunities that are presenting themselves on a weekly basis. As unfortunate as it is to agree with stuff that should be kept in house, both Hurns and Beasley are NFL OPEN consistently, as well as Gallup of which I'm sure you've seen. Dak does not possess the ability to consistently make basic NFL throws. Emphasis on consistent. It is in my opinion that coaching nor scheme could drastically improve this reality of him. Hes simply not good enough to play championship level ball. Sooner or later at the playoff level, a QB will be asked to make tight window throws. Dak cant. Inaccuracy is real.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I believe that with adequate protection and the addition of Cooper— this offense under Linehan could be competent and effective— especially paired with a top 5 D.

However... Without good OL play— Linehan’s scheme is exposed. His predictable play calling and minimal adjustments have been well chronicled already.

The house of cards comes down as soon as we get mediocre or worse OL play...

Mediocre line play is a distinct possibility in consideration of how they've been lately. Otherwise, even if it's better, Linehan's offense will still be predictable in case they merely prove adequate. We'll find out just how competent and effective Linehan's offense really is in the weeks that lie ahead.

Judgment will be rendered by the FO as to how to act going forward. Here's hoping what they do is best for the best of the team and its future going forward. So many things make this team altogether too vulnerable to disaster or, otherwise, simply getting by with serious limitations.

Truth be known, I think Garrett's and Linehan's futures are hanging by thin threads. The OL's success hasn't really been adequately provided for by the FO, imho. This thing could easily go either way in terms of the team's level of success this year. Anything can happen.

I'm just hoping that the necessary changes to be affected in the offseason will be sufficient to turn this team around next year and beyond. Getting to the postseason and bowing out after one game would be a questionable finish to this season but that's a story for another day.

Last edited:

JustChip

Reaction score
It's not just line calls, it's continuity as a unit. They all have to know how to handle stunts, twists, blitzes, how and when to pass those off. They're obviously not as talented, but don't have the same experience and communication together, there's only so much time in practice during the week to work on that.

Spot on. It’s amazing how otherwise seemingly intelligent people completely miss this. Maybe it’s because it’s not a factor in Madden where so many get their GM & HC experience.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Lot of truth to your points and I won't disagree to an extent. I've had the same discussion with Furboy and do agree with both of you that maybe a
coaching to Dak's strengths would offer a more productive offense. BUT ultimately to what level I ask myself. For the life of me, even as outdated, antiquated and predictable as the scheme is, plays AND points are being left on the field at an alarming rate.
Warner's piece on Daks inability to pull the trigger on basic NFL passes that should have been scores was an eye opener.

So while I agree that the scheme is outdated, I more see that the QB lacks any ability to complete all the opportunities that are presenting themselves on a weekly basis. As unfortunate as it is to agree with stuff that should be kept in house, both Hurns and Beasley are NFL OPEN consistently, as well as Gallup of which I'm sure you've seen. Dak does not possess the ability to consistently make basic NFL throws. Emphasis on consistent. It is in my opinion that coaching nor scheme could drastically improve this reality of him. Hes simply not good enough to play championship level ball. Sooner or later at the playoff level, a QB will be asked to make tight window throws. Dak cant. Inaccuracy is real.

Good post. Fair points for sure and I am far from 100% sold on Dak.

There are too many plays being left on the field— and the margin for victory in the NFL is so slim that you need to capitalize on the opportunities you do create for yourself.

That said— there are some things to like about Dak. I never liked the Kellen Moore hire. I think Dak needs an old school QB coach that can ingrain fundamentals in him day in and day out and try to get his processing speed up.

Kellen may be a “genius” when it comes to the Xs and Os of Linehan’s scheme— but how serious is Dak going to take his counsel? Kellen never did anything in the NFL. Dak needs to be challenged— not coddled by a “buddy” that lacks skins on the wall.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Dak, Garrett, and Linehan are catching a ton of flack— and a lot of it is earned. They all have their issues. But underneath all of it is a frustrating truth that is staring us in the face and has undermined this season:

The OL has failed to deliver this year.

Frederick being on IR is just a huge loss, and we have in essence replaced an elite player with an adequate player at the most critical position on OL.

Due to injuries— neither Tyron nor Zack are playing elite football. Their injuries have diminished their effectiveness over the stretch.

Connor lacks the bulk and strength at this point to be effective. Sua Filo is an above average backup that has limitations. Same with Fleming.

The bottom line is we want and expect 2016 offensive production— but we just don’t have the same horses and production from the OL that we had that year.

We are barely scraping by at this point— and Dak's inability to handle pressure well, make quick throws, or improvise and gunsling further hamstring this offense.

Throw in uncreative, predictable playcalling and you get the cluster-cuss we are witnessing at times this year.

It is frustrating but the bottom line is this: what we are trotting out at OL right now is compromising the entire offense. It hurts us the most with inefficiency in the red zone and bad penalties.

Anyway— IMO, had we had a healthy OL this year, a lot of our issues on offense would not be as pronounced as they have been.

I know i repeat myself but i am a fan of Garrett since he arrived here. Not as a OC but as a HC.

To me he wont be gone and the foundation for that is the way he got his team playing thru adversity this year. And this you should not underestimate. To let players believe in your message and system is not a given.

I could write on about my view about Garrett but this is not the place. So i give my view of what will happen in the offseason.

I think Linehan will be gone. And we will have a good look regarding a new QB coach. Moore is not the answer to me.

Idk about Dak. But i dont believe JJ that we will hand him a longterm contract. This is all creating buzz to sell his product.

The OL has been hit hard this season. And to me kept up the pace regardless. This is a positve and it has to be credited in parts to Garrett. Seems we made some good decissions in the offseason.

75boyz

Reaction score
Good post. Fair points for sure and I am far from 100% sold on Dak.

There are too many plays being left on the field— and the margin for victory in the NFL is so slim that you need to capitalize on the opportunities you do create for yourself.

That said— there are some things to like about Dak. I never liked the Kellen Moore hire. I think Dak needs an old school QB coach that can ingrain fundamentals in him day in and day out and try to get his processing speed up.

Kellen may be a “genius” when it comes to the Xs and Os of Linehan’s scheme— but how serious is Dak going to take his counsel? Kellen never did anything in the NFL. Dak needs to be challenged— not coddled by a “buddy” that lacks skins on the wall.
THANKS, and I can certainly see your viewpoint as well and totally agree with you on all of this..

But I'll just play Devil's Advocate here. " What if" (I know the worst speculative hypothetical known to man, lol) But just why did we get away from the established vet backup role starting last year? Was Cooper Rush truly thought to be that capable? Don't get me wrong, his last year's pre season was incredible but up until last year we had at least employed a journeyman backup QB for emergency purposes.
What if Dak's "not a good practice player" personna is steadily showing up on Sundays now.
What I mean is, for some time now from what Ive heard Dak supposedly has had reports of not being a great practice player and fallen under that title of 'gamer'.

Hell, what type of thrower would it take to complete the balls that he's missing in practice as well as in actual games? Granted, Rush and White ain't probably doing any better or maybe even worse but that's my point...

Why not let there be an open competition between someone competent, whether re tread journeyman or new draft pick? Seems like every body on the d line gets a "fair" shot at competing. Why not at least have someone competent enough to complete passes ? Im sorry Im just starting to have flashbacks to how Dak looked ALL of those games last year , 'post Atlanta'.

Is the guy's lack of self confidence in his throwing ability so fragile that he indeed needs to have blatantly inferior talent behind him so as not seem pressured? That's the kind of coddling I think is going on, I swear bro.

I'm exaggerating probably but it don't seem that far fetched when I think about it.

I mean God forbid there be an actual and fair open competition for the QB position of the Dallas Cowboys.

Sorry, if I got off topic bro. I just dont think he is any better than several journeyman QBs as being a capable NFL thrower and could easily be replaced and see equal to or better results with someone different.

But yeah, nice discussion man, and Go Boys!

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Last game was bad once Martin went down, but overall the o line hasn’t been that bad at all. League average at worst. Not sure wether it’s the fact that everyone believes the o line should be up to ‘16 level every single year, or if it’s the fact that most people on this board don’t seem to actually watch the nfl. There are very few QB’s that don’t see the same kind of pressure as Dak...it’s just that most QB’s are capable of handling the pressure better.
Dumb.

What happened to the great Aaron Rodgers not being able to handle pressure this year due to a crumbling Oline and having lesser talent around him? Hmm???

What happened to your "most QB’s are capable of handling the pressure better" mantra in this situation with this particular QB?

Just be quiet with your unintelligible Dak hate.

Cmac

Reaction score
We've been compromised, handcuffed, disadvantaged, dysfunctional...….just to name a few.

foofighters

Reaction score
Frederick is an All Pro and probably the best interior OL in the game at blitz pickups. That's kind of like saying you lost Aaron Rodgers and you can't adjust your 4th Quarter comebacks.
No. That's an over dramatization of the issue. It's an excuse and no one ever improves from making excuses. It's on the coaching staff and more importantly, Jerry.