We are not very good, and I'm fading

Primetime42

Reaction score
Awakened;3512554 said:
I've noticed that nobody has responded to this point that I made a while back...

Here's another point: Is there really anybody who believes dating megastars Jessica Simpson, Carrie Underwood, and Candice Crawford (have there been others?) would be less distracting than being married to the same woman for multiple years? Really? I'm not talking about the fact that these woman are beautiful, but each of them brings with them TONS of drama and media focus. This is a HUGE FACTOR in the difference in the celebrity lifestyle of Romo vs. Manning and Brees.

C'mon, can't somebody at least concede this one point?
Aikman did just fine when he was going through that phase.

Ditto Tom Terrific. To say nothing of Ruthlessraper and his off-field activities.

Primetime42

Reaction score
Awakened;3512638 said:
Can I wrap this thread up? (At least my participation in it) I've written more posts the last couple of days than in the previous two years! I've got to move on for now, back to the background.

Hostile, let me just say that we seem to be speaking past each other regarding the impact of new media technology. While the question as to whether Romo has a twitter or Facebook account is relevant, it does not determine the level at which he is entwined in new media celebritydom (yes, I made that word up).

I've enjoyed debating this stuff with you guys, for the most part. I especially enjoyed it after we got past your emotional reaction (including name calling and put downs) to my emotional reaction, and debated the points.

I can honestly say that I have learned some things in the process - particularly about Romo - that have probably made me a little more hopeful about him. I'm not saying I'm a big believer in him now, but maybe I have over-estimated the level to which he indulges in the lifestyle of a celebrity and underestimated his determination. Maybe. So thanks for that. As I've admitted repeatedly, most of you are better informed about the histories and current lifestyles of these guys than I am.

So, with that, I thank you and bid this thread farewell.

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/...Dan-Castellaneta-Homer-The-Simpsons-Season-6-

Stautner

Reaction score
Awakened;3512638 said:
Can I wrap this thread up? (At least my participation in it) I've written more posts the last couple of days than in the previous two years! I've got to move on for now, back to the background.

Hostile, let me just say that we seem to be speaking past each other regarding the impact of new media technology. While the question as to whether Romo has a twitter or Facebook account is relevant, it does not determine the level at which he is entwined in new media celebritydom (yes, I made that word up).

I've enjoyed debating this stuff with you guys, for the most part. I especially enjoyed it after we got past your emotional reaction (including name calling and put downs) to my emotional reaction, and debated the points.

I can honestly say that I have learned some things in the process - particularly about Romo - that have probably made me a little more hopeful about him. I'm not saying I'm a big believer in him now, but maybe I have over-estimated the level to which he indulges in the lifestyle of a celebrity and underestimated his determination. Maybe. So thanks for that. As I've admitted repeatedly, most of you are better informed about the histories and current lifestyles of these guys than I am.

So, with that, I thank you and bid this thread farewell.

The celebrity aspect is just a concocted media thing designed to sell stories. While Romo has dated celebrities, there is no indication at all the he is a regular on the party scene or living some star studded glamorous lifelstyle. There also is no indication that his play is affected by his supposed celebrity status. The difference in perception between Romo and Tom Brady is only because Brady has won the rings, but there is no indication that Romo is any more emersed in a celebrity/ego lifestyle than Brady is. Instead of fabricating excuses, maybe we should just look at Romo realistically, which is as a talented QB who has not one the Super Bowl due to football reasons, some of which may be his limitiations, some of which may be the team's limitations.

ringmaster

Reaction score
30yrheel;3510918 said:
man, just google it if you don't know. you'll get blasted on here for not knowing your stuff!:eek:
Why should I goggle it now its the past now bro.

Just brought that up to make a point to all of those people *****ing about preseason wins and losses.

ringmaster

Reaction score
windward;3510912 said:
We actually went 2-3, beating Miami and Denver while losing to the Oilers twice and the Raiders once.

But we looked pretty crappy even in our wins.

Theismann had us at 9-7 that year I believe.
Thanks for pointing that out WW.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Hostile;3512228 said:
Welcome to the ride. I hope you can hang on. There are about to be some serious bumps in the road you are on. Buckle up.

I am going to answer your questions with questions because I think the answers are obvious. Do you really want to take the position that paparazzi snapping your pictures is more celebrity than being on TV shows, in movies, in music videos, and having big entourages and bodyguards?

Seriously? In your world I am looking for more attention if I go to dinner with the woman I am knocking boots with and people take my picture than if I agree to be in a TV sitcom?

I got to tell you, that is straight up crazy.

Let me follow this up to point out how crazy. Do Tony and Miles put on makeup to go out with their women and be photographed? You may take it from me, they did to be on TV and in videos. Deion Sanders appearing in MC Hammer videos was not seeking more celebrity than going out with a famous woman?

I'll even take it one step further. When he was released was Terrell Owens not already in contract for a reality TV show while still a member of this team? I'll answer it for you so you can't search for an excuse. Yes, he was. Celebrity came calling and the Dallas Cowboys released a talented player so that the focus could be on football.

Please child bring me something to chew on. There was nothing here.

The things they have done today were accomplished because of the celebrity they created then. Are you going to sit there in a stupor and deny this? Troy Aikman and Babe Laufenberg were both QBs for the Dallas Cowboys. Both are now in media. Which one is more famous? Which one is paid more? Which one can you name 4 to 5 women whom he was romantically attached to by the media? Which one has given out awards at awards shows? Which one has been in movies and on syndicated TV shows? His celebrity from those days hasn't driven this?

Aw come on.

Yes, things are radically different. We are in the Internet age. By your own admission you would absolutely hate the stars of the 90s because of their celebrity status. Please do not try and spin this away from that fact. If you are troubled in your soul about paparazzi, this other stuff would have caused you to hang yourself. CBs in commercials for pizza.

Riddle me this Batman, what player today has a nickname to compare to the glitz of Playmaker or Prime Time?

You have the luxury of looking back fondly because they won. It is a position of softness and fluff as opposed to the one I have taken. In other words, the Internet age has softened you. Cowboyszone has softened you. You are the radical change here as you let your fandom "fade away" after so many years.

Good luck, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. We don't need lace panties fans in a denim and boots world.

So basically what you are telling me is that you will flatly ignore all other evidence of your fallacies as ideas and blow your trumpet of hate anyway? Then forgive us for not appreciating your skills at blowing.

Teammates laud Tony Romo as the ultimate worker. You now admit you completely ignore this.

Coaches describe him as the first to arrive, last to leave and hardest worker on the team. You now admit you completely ignore this.

Mike Jenkins admitted that last year he showed up to VR at 7:00 in the morning because he knew that Tony Romo would be close to wrapping up his 2 hours of film study. Meaning he arrives at VR at 5:00 in the morning while you are still clutching your pillow most likely. Jenkins further commented that he could ask Romo about any QB and WR combo they were facing and he could explain their tendencies to him and he credited Romo with his development last year as a CB. You now admit that you completely ignore this.

Carrie Underwood explained that she broke up with Tony because his life is football, not her. On David Letterman's show Jessica Simpson admitted that Tony is so focused on his job as a QB that it strained their relationship. Candace Crawford recently on the B & D Radio show in Dallas admitted that Tony is so focused to improve that he works constantly. You now admit that you completely ignore this.

Basically what it boils down to is that you have exposed yourself as someone who pays attention to any bit of negative press on this team and you process it as valid. So when the media show Tony Romo playing golf and dating beautiful women you see it as chasing celebrity. I suspect that you live in either New York, Philadelphia, or Washignton, DC and you give heed to the garbage anti-Cowboys media in those cities and these are the voices that form your ideas of what this team is. In other words, the very same radically changed media you decry is the one you pay attention to over all of the evidence posted on this forum.

You may throw up now, this round of the ride is over and I am sure your stomach is queasy.

http://i949.***BLOCKED***/albums/ad336/SaltwaterServr/Slap_Of_Humiliation.gif

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Awakened;3512554 said:
I've noticed that nobody has responded to this point that I made a while back...

Here's another point: Is there really anybody who believes dating megastars Jessica Simpson, Carrie Underwood, and Candice Crawford (have there been others?) would be less distracting than being married to the same woman for multiple years? Really? I'm not talking about the fact that these woman are beautiful, but each of them brings with them TONS of drama and media focus. This is a HUGE FACTOR in the difference in the celebrity lifestyle of Romo vs. Manning and Brees.

C'mon, can't somebody at least concede this one point?

Point? Which point? You keep weaseling out from one point to another.

In year's past, the offense has looked great in the pre-season. This year has been a disgrace.

You are criticizing two preseason games, vs your perception of the history (the '90s) of the Cowboys.

I'm tired of celebrity athletes who haven't earned the right to be called one of the great Cowboys, but don't seem driven to keep getting better.

Criticism of Tony Romo, based on a standard that doesn't include any other NFL QB.

When the pressure has been on, hasn't Romo had more lapses in performance/ decision-making than other QB's such as Brady, Brees, & Manning?

More criticism of TR, based on personal opinions not based on history and fact.

ClWhitefish and peplaw make strong cases for Manning and Brees being bigger celebrities than Romo. And they did it without a personal attach or put down. Nice!

Again, I wish I had the time to research this thoroughly, but you guys are basing your observations on old media rather than new media. New media - internet, twitter, youtube, etc - is taking over. My guess (yes, it is a guess but an educated one) is that Romo is more entwined with new media than Brees or Manning.

Self serving definitions, while conceding you have no facts behind them.

Here's an example: Deion shoots a music video with Hammer during the off-season. When he comes to training camp, that interaction with Hammer and that video are not a part of his training camp world. It is in the past and, unless the video happens to come on MTV while they are sitting around, it won't come into consciousness.

Outright falsehood. Depending on your memory rather than actual events.

Good questions. I'll admit I haven't studied all of these guys lives in depth.

Evidence that your statements are based on your opinion, rather than facts.

Look, you want a reasoned debate, bring reason to the table. You haven't brought a single substantive fact to this entire thread.

I can't put the time or effort into offering a counterpoint.

We know. That's the problem.

You might be amazed at the response you'd get if you actually took the time to come up with a reasoned, articulated thought.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Awakened;3512638 said:
I hope you will read this at the very least.

I am friends with Candice on Facebook. Have been for quite a while.

Tony Romo does not have a Facebook account and I doubt he has a Twitter account. There have been fake ones and on more than one occasion I have told her about them and they disappear.

Sportscenter is a spurious source for Dallas Cowboys news at best. The ESPN Dallas stuff is a little better, but it is still very much sports versions of People or Us magazines. Even the DFW media seems to buy into a lot of fluff.

You swallowed all of their hype. Hook, line, and sinker.

This site has flaws. There is no disputing that. Whether you see it as too many homers or too many negative Nancys is irrelevant to me. I like both sides equally well.

This site is also the greatest compilation of Dallas Cowboys driven fans ever assembled. You will never be able to do a drive by commentary ripping the team and get away with it if you are uninformed. Ever.

You have basically admitted repeatedly in the last several pages that you did not consider these things and did not know a number of others. The great Chinese philosopher K'ung-**-tzu, more widely known as Confucius, once said, "better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open mouth and remove all doubt."

It was really foolish to base your fading fanhood upon the results of pre-season games. You got splattered because these posters here on both sides of the fence understand that pre-season football doesn't show you anything. There are some people who still don't get that. You landed in their camp. It's a poor place to be if you are going to toss out definitive statements without corroborating evidence.

Your thread brought the reactions you dislike because you had no evidence to support yourself and as was shown, this seems to be a yearly chant of doom from you. It thumps really hollow.

You said you wanted reasoned debate, but the truth is you never brought any of that to your side of the table. You showed up with no facts. Just your suppositions.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Awakened;3512389 said:
As Winifred Gallagher, author of Rapt, says: “if you could just stay focused on the right things, your life would stop feeling like a reaction to stuff that happens to you and become something that you create: not a series of accidents, but a work of art.”
"Like many proponents of unified theories, though, Gallagher tries to do too much. Just about every aspect of human life can be described in the language of attention. Do you give money to charity? You are "attending to the pursuit of virtue." Are you religious? You are "directing your attention to a deeper reality." To conclude, as Gallagher does, that attention is at the root of all good things is to muddle cause and effect. I can focus on golf with powerfully rapt attention for every waking minute; it won't turn me into Tiger Woods."

- Paul Bloom, Professor of Psychology, Yale University, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/17/AR2009041701372.html

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Coming home to kick back and see that this thread still tops page 1 has been fairly humorous. Then to open it and read the completion of the backpedal exercise by Awakened... hilarious.... This is better than real popcorn. :p:

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Bleu Star;3512891 said:
Coming home to kick back and see that this thread still tops page 1 has been fairly humorous. Then to open it and read the completion of the backpedal exercise by Awakened... hilarious.... This is better than real popcorn. :p:

Hos et al gave him a pimp slap for sure. Awakened is in full crawfish mode, fading into the murky gloom.

esloan

Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3512907 said:
Hos et al gave him a pimp slap for sure. Awakened is in full crawfish mode, fading into the murky gloom.

You know, I don't blame Awakened really. In today's world the media controls perceptions more than any single entity. They have been absolutely ruthless in this Romo as "celebrity QB" thing. It is sad really.

Here is Romo, an undrafted free agent, that not only made it onto America's Team but is setting records while a starter and instead of talking about how great a story that is and showing how hard work can truly pay off, they decide to try to take him down by making a story out of nothing. It is truly a testament to how screwed up our media can be.

67CowboysFan

Reaction score
esloan;3512923 said:
You know, I don't blame Awakened really. In today's world the media controls perceptions more than any single entity. They have been absolutely ruthless in this Romo as "celebrity QB" thing. It is sad really.

Here is Romo, an undrafted free agent, that not only made it onto America's Team but is setting records while a starter and instead of talking about how great a story that is and showing how hard work can truly pay off, they decide to try to take him down by making a story out of nothing. It is truly a testament to how screwed up our media can be.
Only if you let them. Problem is, to many people let them. It's sad when you think about it. :(

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I have never wittenest so many stupid Cowboy fans in my life! (not including me).

If I could do what ya'll do :rolleyes:

I be having fun too.

Guess what?

I have no clue...so do you.

The team is doomed.

Poor fools...

;)

urface59

Reaction score
Awakened has convinced me... I'm switching to a real team with a real QB... The Commanders!

Frozen700

Reaction score
so when are you going too leave? like HOS said..dont talk about it, be about it

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
839423a9-b89d-4e60-99eb-8c1c595147f7.Large.jpg