CFZ We are one of the best drafting teams over the last ten years

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
1) my MO is supporitng ALL our Cowboys...including Dak. Find one post from me that I don't support him, hope for his failure, ditch him. It should be very simple....You won't because you CAN'T. Neither can anyone else I ask.
2) You fight with everyone about Dak that dares disagree with you. CRUSADE!
3) Doesn't look like you support Lance when you are TRASHING him about being a bust. Friends like you who needs enemies?
4) Again..."you guys"...but show me "turning on anyone it's what you do"...like calling them "busts"...for example? That kind of "turning"? I don't but you already have!
5) "I have no MO"....lol....good one...JUST LIKE I PREDICTED YOU WOULD SAY! I know your MO....and I just proved it to you.
6) So lt's kick the tires then....let the best QB win...without the trash talk at him. Patience? Of course. But you go ahead and crusade at the two people who want Lance in the next game.
My MO is what? That I support Dak? Didn’t know that was up for debate lol. So Lance isn’t a bust? But you had no issue calling Kelden Joseph a bust?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My MO is what? That I support Dak? Didn’t know that was up for debate lol. So Lance isn’t a bust? But you had no issue calling Kelden Joseph a bust?
1) Your MO is you kid yourself you haven't one.
2) Supporting Dak is cool. I support supporting Dak. Endless crusade about it? MO!
3) Lance is not a bust. No amount of qualifiers after the fact changes that. When he gets thrown out of the league, you are free to call him a bust.
4) I don't know Keldon Joseph. I'm not sure if I have called ANYONE a bust...'cept maybe Jaylon Smith. About the only Cowboy I ever trashed talked while wearing The Star.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Which is why I said he's a BUST now but he can shake that label off eventually. But even then I don't think this team traded for him in hopes for him to be a backup...or maybe they did.....
A back up for now . With the hopes he becomes a starter some day when Prescott is done . Which again based on what our ownership told us is down the road . If it’s anything more than that is pure speculation at this point .

blueblood70

Reaction score
Periods are your friend
it's called talk to text OK professor I'm not in here to make perfectly structured and grammatically correct sentence for you guys to read in a forum get over it or just move on past..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
1) Your MO is you kid yourself you haven't one.
2) Supporting Dak is cool. I support supporting Dak. Endless crusade about it? MO!
3) Lance is not a bust. No amount of qualifiers after the fact changes that. When he gets thrown out of the league, you are free to call him a bust.
4) I don't know Keldon Joseph. I'm not sure if I have called ANYONE a bust...'cept maybe Jaylon Smith. About the only Cowboy I ever trashed talked while wearing The Star.
So Jaylon who made a Pro Bowl and had nearly a career ending injury was a bust but Lance isn’t…..interesting.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I understand why though. I don’t think people realize how big money signings rarely work. Brady for sure worked. Seems like a small list of it actually working though.
Big money signings helps teams win Super Bowls, but you have to be shrewd about it. For example, the move that changed the Joneses' opinions about big money signings was Brandon Carr. The Cowboys paid a ransom for Carr because he was one of the two-best cornerbacks available in that free agent class. However, that didn't make him one of the two-best players in that class. The Joneses saw a need a filled it with the best available at an extravagant price for that player.

Now, let's do a comparative between us last year and the Super Bowl champion Chiefs. Both of us traded away a top receiver (Cooper and Hill). We replaced ours with a bargain signing (James Washington) and we know how that turned out. The Chiefs signed JuJu Smith Schuster for a one-year deal, too, but it was worth $10.5 million because the Chiefs were buying production instead of potential. Kansas City brought in a "proven playmaker" and paid the going rate to do that and it helped the Chiefs win the Super Bowl.

This is where I think the Joneses' plan is faulty. It's not like anyone is saying they should set the market, only that a few more expensive moves could make the difference. I'm not sure when the last time Dallas spent $10 million on an outside FA. They mostly sift through trash hoping to unearth another Kearse and not recognizing how many of those bargain-basement signings they've missed on.

yentl911

Reaction score
That’s why I tend to let things play out after a draft even though I might not always agree with the pick or move.

Will McClay is an unreal talent evaluator and why he is held in such high regard within the organization

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This will trigger a few of the anti-Jerry crowd, but using the PFR Approximate Value metric (AV), we have been the 4th-best drafting team since 2012. AV basically looks at the value of any single player through the seasons played. This doesn't mean that a player with a higher AV is better or more valuable than a player with a lower AV, but as an aggregate group, the higher AV players have more value than the lower AV players. One can measure a player's career against a constant based on where that player was taken in the draft. I'm a old math nerd so I find this interesting.

The top ten teams by this metric since 2012 are:
1. Seattle (single best draft class)
2. KC (every draft with a positive AV)
3. Baltimore
4. Dallas
5. Green Bay
6. Philly
7. New England
8. New Orleans
9. Tampa Bay
10. Washington

The top eight have had some combination of good talent evaluation, good coaching, good front office management, and overall stability. Numbers 9 and 10 have drafted good players but their lousy coaching and front office has seen players leave for greener pastures.

This metric was developed in 1960. The players with the highest AV since 1960 are:
1. Tom Brady (blows away the field)
2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Jerry Rice
6. Fran Tarkenton
7. Tie between Reggie White and Aaron Rodgers
9. Bruce Smith
10. Ray Lewis

The greatest single season by AV ever was LaDainian Tomlinson's ridiculous 2006 year.
1. LaDainian Tomlinson (2006)
2. Three-way tie between Marshall Faulk (1999), Lamar Jackson (2019), O.J. Simpson (1975)
5. Aaron Donald (2020)

The worst teams? Jets, Browns, and ...49ers??? Yes.

Other notes: Since 2012, the first round has produced more starters than rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7 combined. In 2012, we decided to draft Morris Claiborne instead of Fletcher Cox, the player with the highest AV in the first round. I'm still salty over that.

If there is anyone who is still an apologist for Jason Garrett, please explain how we could be such a good-drafting team yet see such little post-season success.
That's cool and all but they've only 3 wild card wins to show for it, and two of those were under JG.

I know everything is tracked these days but I don't care about winning the draft. Win the big games.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
That's cool and all but they've only 3 wild card wins to show for it, and two of those were under JG.

I know everything is tracked these days but I don't care about winning the draft. Win the big games.
I understand the sentiment. I think all of us agree on that point.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
it's called talk to text OK professor I'm not in here to make perfectly structured and grammatically correct sentence for you guys to read in a forum get over it or just move on past..
Talk to text is sophisticated enough to include punctuation. What program are you using?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
To the topic - why hasn't all this good drafting translated into conference title game appearances?

To be more Spagnola-ish, "If we are drafting so good, why are we not making it to title games?"

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
To the topic - why hasn't all this good drafting translated into conference title game appearances?

To be more Spagnola-ish, "If we are drafting so good, why are we not making it to title games?"
Don’t have the QB to take us there.Will put up solid regular season stats , but lay an egg vs. better teams in the playoffs.

CoachD

Reaction score
Cowboys have been money when it comes to drafting in the first round but in the rest of the draft not so much except Diggs and Witten 2nd and 4th respectively.

offlimits

Reaction score
This will trigger a few of the anti-Jerry crowd, but using the PFR Approximate Value metric (AV), we have been the 4th-best drafting team since 2012. AV basically looks at the value of any single player through the seasons played. This doesn't mean that a player with a higher AV is better or more valuable than a player with a lower AV, but as an aggregate group, the higher AV players have more value than the lower AV players. One can measure a player's career against a constant based on where that player was taken in the draft. I'm a old math nerd so I find this interesting.

The top ten teams by this metric since 2012 are:
1. Seattle (single best draft class)
2. KC (every draft with a positive AV)
3. Baltimore
4. Dallas
5. Green Bay
6. Philly
7. New England
8. New Orleans
9. Tampa Bay
10. Washington

The top eight have had some combination of good talent evaluation, good coaching, good front office management, and overall stability. Numbers 9 and 10 have drafted good players but their lousy coaching and front office has seen players leave for greener pastures.

This metric was developed in 1960. The players with the highest AV since 1960 are:
1. Tom Brady (blows away the field)
2. Drew Brees
3. Peyton Manning
4. Brett Favre
5. Jerry Rice
6. Fran Tarkenton
7. Tie between Reggie White and Aaron Rodgers
9. Bruce Smith
10. Ray Lewis

The greatest single season by AV ever was LaDainian Tomlinson's ridiculous 2006 year.
1. LaDainian Tomlinson (2006)
2. Three-way tie between Marshall Faulk (1999), Lamar Jackson (2019), O.J. Simpson (1975)
5. Aaron Donald (2020)

The worst teams? Jets, Browns, and ...49ers??? Yes.

Other notes: Since 2012, the first round has produced more starters than rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7 combined. In 2012, we decided to draft Morris Claiborne instead of Fletcher Cox, the player with the highest AV in the first round. I'm still salty over that.

If there is anyone who is still an apologist for Jason Garrett, please explain how we could be such a good-drafting team yet see such little post-season success.
Without a doubt... much better drafting in recent years. All picks are not starters but they certainly have improved the squad. Much deeper now. But Taco...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Talk to text is sophisticated enough to include punctuation. What program are you using?
What's the point of this conversation of course if I wanted to stop and say. Or? Or whatever you think quotation should be like I'm saying right now into this device it's not how I post sometimes I'm in a hurry and I have a one long run on sentence and that's just how it's gonna be I don't always have time especially here to come back in that 5 minute or whatever timeout we can't get back and edit so too bad so sad move on because this is gonna annoy me I don't care if you don't like the way I post if you see my post count you see I'm doing just fine without you...

LysleE

Reaction score
An astounding statistic given the Cowboys are 3-5 in the playoffs over the past 10 years. Doesn’t really reflect positively on the organization’s ability to coach and develop players.

rambo2

Reaction score
An astounding statistic given the Cowboys are 3-5 in the playoffs over the past 10 years. Doesn’t really reflect positively on the organization’s ability to coach and develop players.
An interesting stat on the current team is that 20 of the players are in their 1st or 2nd year.