We better be a top 5 offense this year

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Amazing how we still get folks talking about money ,..cap money, .. tying into 3 players ,..we better have top offense,… etc, etc.
But it still remains the defense that has got us kicked out of the playoffs the last three times we were in it.

Either we don’t have a pass rush to stop Aaron Rodgers .. (and an even one-legged Rodgers at that in 2014 playoffs) .. and yes, we will have to face him again
.. or we simply cant stop the damn run vs Rams (and why do we tend to have this issue On the Road ?)

- Get the damn, big imposing playmaking horses upfront that will finally make the differences in disruption and penetration in the backfield. :mad:

In their defense, last time we played the Packers in the playoffs, Irving destroyed their OL on the biggest play of the game, but was tackled from behind before he could get to Rodgers.

mardwin

Reaction score
I drafted Cooper as my #1 WR in FF, so he better show up.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I dont see the offense making that huge of a leap to top 5. Maybe top 15.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
With the money that we are tying up in the top 3 offensive positions (Dak, Zeke, and Cooper) we can't go out and be a so so offense, or our talent people, (Jerry, Stephen, Will McClay, and Jason) have to be held accountable. We are investing a huge part of our salary cap in these 3 players.

Where do you think the team will finish on offense? Will they live up to their contracts? I know a good portion of that will be on Moore will he get the most out of them?

I know there is no 100% answer but I'm curious as to people's gut feel. We can look back at the end of the year and see if we were right.

I think the offense will excel against the Giants and other lowly teams but struggle early against good defenses. But I think midyear that they will figure it out and finish barely in the top 10 (7-10) by the end of the year. Thoughts?

I think it’s Super Bowl or bust. The players on the current roster or selling the Fanbase that they are the best. Best equals Super Bowl. There is no margin for error, we can’t blame it on the fans, we can’t blame it on the owner, we can’t blame it on Coaches.

It is squarely on the shoulders of the players. The players have to perform, no excuses. I have given the players a pass for the Past decade. It is absolutely their fault if they don’t win the division, the playoffs, and the Super Bowl. Winners win, losers lose

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
With the money that we are tying up in the top 3 offensive positions (Dak, Zeke, and Cooper) we can't go out and be a so so offense, or our talent people, (Jerry, Stephen, Will McClay, and Jason) have to be held accountable. We are investing a huge part of our salary cap in these 3 players.

Where do you think the team will finish on offense? Will they live up to their contracts? I know a good portion of that will be on Moore will he get the most out of them?

I know there is no 100% answer but I'm curious as to people's gut feel. We can look back at the end of the year and see if we were right.

I think the offense will excel against the Giants and other lowly teams but struggle early against good defenses. But I think midyear that they will figure it out and finish barely in the top 10 (7-10) by the end of the year. Thoughts?

Ironically, with all that talent. If you don't have a healthy Oline and a competent scheme and OC, your offense will be inconsistent.

But other then that...……...I agree. This offense should be close to unstoppable this year if it stays healthy.

roughneck266

Reaction score
Pretty much every team pays their best RB, QB and WR a lot of money. With the way the NFL is now, where everyone that gets a new contract, they have to be the highest paid, it was pretty much inevitable it would be this way.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think it’s Super Bowl or bust. The players on the current roster or selling the Fanbase that they are the best. Best equals Super Bowl. There is no margin for error, we can’t blame it on the fans, we can’t blame it on the owner, we can’t blame it on Coaches.

It is squarely on the shoulders of the players. The players have to perform, no excuses. I have given the players a pass for the Past decade. It is absolutely their fault if they don’t win the division, the playoffs, and the Super Bowl. Winners win, losers lose

You have to look at the competition. Rams, Saints, Eagles, ect….ect…. All of these teams have great talent. What they all have that we don't is GREAT coaching.

And we have seen quite plainly that at this level it comes down to coaching when the talent is equal.

In all 3 of playoff losses against the Packers and Rams was coaching that got us beat.

lqmac1

Reaction score

I think we are in for a special year. We are absolutely stacked on both sides of the ball. I think our defense is going to embarrass a lot of offenses!

quickccc

Reaction score
In their defense, last time we played the Packers in the playoffs, Irving destroyed their OL on the biggest play of the game, but was tackled from behind before he could get to Rodgers.

ironically the very next week, Green Bay and Rodgers go on the road again gets Destroyed by the ATL front in a blowout playoff loss,...

BTW, the last time we played Rodgers again here was in regular season in 2017 (a year later) ,.. .yep- .we get destroyed again by Rodgers en route to a game winning drive TD over Jordan Lewis.

quickccc

Reaction score
i'm looking at the totality of the team- not just the offense. ( special teams ala kicking game could be critical as well)
Even if this offense gets off to an unexpected slow start while it gets the kinks out, I expect this defense to hold it's ground until the O" does so.
But that's where the glamour and glory will always gain the bigger attention with the most popular NFL team.

my question is what is going to be big difference between last year's 2018 defense ..and this year's defense ?
what or who are gonna make us better than what we were last year ? That will be the telling tale down the stretch and especially come playoff time.

Batman1980

Reaction score
For $15 million a season, Zeke better average 15+ TDs and 2000+ yards for the life of the contract.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
You have to look at the competition. Rams, Saints, Eagles, ect….ect…. All of these teams have great talent. What they all have that we don't is GREAT coaching.

And we have seen quite plainly that at this level it comes down to coaching when the talent is equal.

In all 3 of playoff losses against the Packers and Rams was coaching that got us beat.
I respect you, I respect your opinion. The players have to be held accountable. A few years ago the Packers won a Super Bowl with one of the worst coaches I’ve ever seen. No excuses.

Players have to perform on the field. The team has the best O-line in football. The team has won great receiver, and three above average receivers. The best running back in football and a good to great quarterback. No excuses on losing games. They need to do their jobs. Seems as if fans are already making excuses if we don’t win. No excuses, do your job. That should be the motto

quickccc

Reaction score
I’m sure the Jones have placed the highest prioriety on this coaching staff, especially Garrett – and especially given his one year prove it deal.

Needless to say, Garrett is completely placing his faith in Kellen Moore’s ability to propel this offense to the max as it can be.
(Just as Marinelli is laying his faith upon Kris Richard on the other side of the ball.)

So what will be better on the offense this year ?
- So with Amari Cooper having a full year here, instead of the dreadful 1st half offense with the likes of Deontre Thompson, Brice Butler)
plus Gallup is no longer melo green, and has rapidly improved - to go along with casting support of Cobb, Witten and Austin, we should see a vast more splash in the pass game
than last year’s Scott Linehan’s offense.

- With zeke, we’ve had a top run game, that’s been more than proven with him here, … the bigger situation will be the pass game and red zone issues;>
we should not keep having these 6 point halftime scores and having to depend upon shaky FG only scoring red zone failures.

- This is where we get to see Kellen’s creativity is both play design, adjusting to down and distances, and knowing when to adjust to scheming defenses., as well as a more team emphasis
of pushing ball vertically downfield.

- I expect opposing defenses to continue to stack and overload the line (that’s what I would do) mix and disguise their coverages (just before the snap as well) and force this team to adjust accordingly,.
they will certainly do that when the inexperienced pollard is in the game as the lone back. (i would)

- The same way Kellen is going to try to confuse opposing D’s with his pre-snap motion/moving formations, …. the same way I fully expect opposing Defenses will try to equally confuse and throw off the QB and OC with overloads and zone- blitzes.
Just as much as it will depend upon these players adjusting and executing the plays,.. it will depend as much for the coaching staff to make the in-game adjustments when it’s called for.
Could Kellen’s inexperience show up in this instances ? Stay tuned. We’ll will find that out.

boysfaninMI

Reaction score

I know there is no 100% answer but I'm curious as to people's gut feel. We can look back at the end of the year and see if we were right.p

"WE"???????????/.......................good lord man, there is NO version of WE here. Unreal:facepalm:

reddyuta

Reaction score
We are not that kind of Offense with Dak,we are not asking him to throw 300 yards every game.we will be a dominant team if we even a top 13 offense.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not only skill positions, 4 of the 5 OL are now in the top 6 in salary. Going to be 7 of 11 in the top 6, that relates to a top 1 or 2 offense but I'd bet against that and think a top 10 might be doable.