We DID get a 4th for shanle...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I think what we should all concentrate on here is that we actually got something for a player.

When was the last time that happened?

Teams like Philly and NE, who have had solid drafts and good signings, do this all the time. Then on draft day they can move around.

Me, I'd love to get another pick for Kenyon Coleman as well.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Alexander said:
The Saints themselves were only able to get a fourth round selection from Kansas City for Michael Bennett.

And Scott Shanle will start and play a hell of a lot more for the Saints then Michael Bennett will for the Chiefs. What makes Michael Bennett so valuable? The Saints originally got him off the free agent scrap heap for a $1 milllion dollar bonus because nobody was very interested in him in the open market.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I don't generally find Mickey to be a great source -- but you've got a guy who is close to the team reporting something that makes sense Vs. a guy at ESPN who is not close to the team reporting something that does not make sense.

The KFFL story is likely just a reporter taking his information from the internet.

Just like this other KFFL "writer":

Saints | Team trades seventh-round pick for Shanle
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:23:22 -0700

Nick Eatman, of DallasCowboys.com, reports the Dallas Cowboys acquired a seventh-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft from the New Orleans Saints in exchange for LB Scott Shanle.

People will believe whatever makes them feel best in most circumstances.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Just like this other KFFL "writer":

Saints | Team trades seventh-round pick for Shanle
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:23:22 -0700

Nick Eatman, of DallasCowboys.com, reports the Dallas Cowboys acquired a seventh-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft from the New Orleans Saints in exchange for LB Scott Shanle.

People will believe whatever makes them feel best in most circumstances.

Or whatever gives them an inflated sense of superiority.

The Saints beat writers probably have a hell of a lot more access to their front office than the Dallas writers have to theirs. All respect to Vela and his "source', but I'm going with them. Parcells said two weeks ago that his phones were ringing about aquiring players. We started showcasing Shanle and Coleman the first preseason game. The Saints weren't the only team bidding.

Alexander

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
And Scott Shanle will start and play a hell of a lot more for the Saints then Michael Bennett will for the Chiefs. What makes Michael Bennett so valuable? The Saints originally got him off the free agent scrap heap for a $1 milllion dollar bonus because nobody was very interested in him in the open market.

Michael Bennett was a former first round choice and given the fact there was confirmed competition for him -the Dolphins were very interested- (a point you keep making in reference to Shanle) and the rotation the Chiefs like to use at runningback, that isn't nearly as unreasonable.

You rarely see players "off the free agent scrap heap" (which coincidentally Shanle was also one of those players) being peddled for fourth round choices when they have really little on their resume.

Again, I would be ecstatic as anyone if it were true, but logic (and evidence) dictates it isn't.

Alexander

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Or whatever gives them an inflated sense of superiority.

The Saints beat writers probably have a hell of a lot more access to their front office than the Dallas writers have to theirs. All respect to Vela and his "source', but I'm going with them. Parcells said two weeks ago that his phones were ringing about aquiring players. We started showcasing Shanle and Coleman the first preseason game. The Saints weren't the only team bidding.

And the point is, the official Saints site is still sticking to the "undisclosed" pick. And every shread of evidence, save Pasquarelli and some writer from the Biloxi newspaper, points to the seventh round.

Tell me, would you take the word of a Houston paper over the official website for the New Orleans Saints?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
And why didn't his former first round draft pick status help his value when he sat out the open market without much interest?

Logic and evidence says you way overvalue Bennet. Maybe you're the type of fan who overvalues the name and skill positions.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
If we got a 4th for Shanle Jerry and Stephen need to be locked up because the are guilty of stealing draft picks.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Alexander said:
And the point is, the official Saints site is still sticking to the "undisclosed" pick. And every shread of evidence, save Pasquarelli and some writer from the Biloxi newspaper, points to the seventh round.

Tell me, would you take the word of a Houston paper over the official website for the New Orleans Saints?

"Every shred of evidence" consists of what? An internet blog and Mickey Spagnola? You're right ... my sources are completely laughable compared to your volumes of evidence. :laugh2:

I looked up "undisclosed' in the dictionary, and it didn't say "7th round".

Alexander

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
And why didn't his former first round draft pick status help his value when he sat out the open market without much interest?

Logic and evidence says you way overvalue Bennet. Maybe you're the type of fan who overvalues the name and skill positions.

Amusing sarcasm, but you know yourself that a "lack of interest" is all about perception.

Chris Hope sat around on the open market for weeks. Does that mean that he had "no interest" from anyone? For all we know he was asking for too much. Bennett as a former first round choice probably was seeking more money and that is why he languished. He had also had a track record of injuries and attitude problems.

And since we are all about evidence here are more links supporting the seventh round hypothesis:

http://www.neworleansprofootball.com/082306shanle.html

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-25/115640013250270.xml&coll=1 - this would probably be the "beat writers" you mentioned.

Alexander

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
"Every shred of evidence" consists of what? An internet blog and Mickey Spagnola? You're right ... my sources are completely laughable compared to your volumes of evidence. :laugh2:

I looked up "undisclosed' in the dictionary, and it didn't say "7th round".

And your sources are Len Pasquarelli and a Biloxi newspaper.

Laugh away at Spagnola and Eatman, but they are a bit closer to the situation than either Pasquarelli and the "beat writers" from the Gulf Coast of Mississippi.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
I think the Gulf Coast of Mississippi (Biloxi paper) probably has a beat writer for the Saints. They're pretty close geographically

Alexander

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
I think the Gulf Coast of Mississippi (Biloxi paper) probably has a beat writer for the Saints. They're pretty close geographically

The Times-Picayune is even closer. They have reported a seventh.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ok,

Here's the deal folks. There are some under the table maneuverings going on.

1.We hear that the pick is conditional, then it's a 4th, then it's a 7th. Then it's a 4th again....then it's a 7th with no conditions? Finally, it's "undisclosed"

2. Parcells says there are "many moving parts" with the situation with Henson, so he didn't want to go into details.

3. After much trade speculation and some reference by BP that DH wouldn't be flat out cut, Henson ends up waived.

Could it be that a condition of the Shanle trade was the ability to pick up Henson after he cleared waivers? We all know that Payton really liked Henson (despite the fact all every last report that came out of VR pretty much stated complete ambivalence)

Maybe there are other moving parts involved that haven't stopped moving yet. And those issues affect what the final draft pick will be.

And for anyone wanting to kill me for this somewhat ludicrous take. You have pretty good reason. But if 'the other shoe drops' I'll pointing to this silly post and claiming that I called it!!

Throwing stuff on the wall and seeing what sticks seems to work for most media types, why not give it a shot.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Alexander said:
The Times-Picayune is even closer. They have reported a seventh.

When do the polls close? I've already voted 7th but if these are paper ballots it could take a while. I just hope there aren't any hanging chads.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
While I would like to believe the reporter from the local paper in LA that we are getting a fourth rounder for Shanle, but the fact that ESPN had us getting a seventh rounder for Shanle, makes me wonder which is the correct pick. Of course I realize that what ESPN says doesn't automatically make it the "gospel", but I'm hesitant to believe that we'll get the fourth that the reporter claims.

Angus

Reaction score
It is a little pecular that the Saint's site keeps saying "undisclosed." If their fans are up in arms because a fourth is being reported, they could quell the uprising by officially asserting that it was only a 7th, if that's what it was.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The common sense take is that the pick is conditional. As high as a 4th and at worst a 7th.

My guess is the pick had to be higher than a 7th because 3 or 4 teams want backers right now.

The Saints get a guy they know can be a good special team guy and nickel backer for 5-7 years, as well as a stopgap starter for a team who can use him.