We don't need to draft a WR

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Am I the only one that believes that the Cowboys do not need to draft another WR in the draft next season? The key word in that question is need. We already have three young wide receivers on the roster with the potential to be at least a number two (Hurd age 22, Austin age 23, and Stanback age 23). Owens age 34, isn't showing many signs of slowing down soon. Glenn age 33, may be on the way out the door, but it is really hard to tell at this point. Crayton age 28, will be headed for FA and a starting job elsewhere if the Cowboys fail to sign him in the off-season. You could look at the last tow sentences and conclude that we may only have four returning wide receivers next season. But why would you want to draft yet another wide receiver with the potential to be good when we already have three learning on the job?

Consider that finding a true #1 receiver in the draft may be one of the toughest things for scouts to do. I would argue that the wide receiver position has the highest bust rate out of any position drafted in the first round. I think the reason for this is because:

a) College teams don't use complex coverage schemes. Most wide receivers with good speed can exploit these schemes with simple routes, and their stats end up become extremely inflated.
b) College receivers, even in top conferences, are matched up against defensive backs that would never even sniff the NFL practice field.
c) Receivers can either be benefited or hindered by the play of the QB. An average receiver with a top shelf QB would end up looking better than a great WR with a sub par QB that can't get him the ball.

With that said, you may be better off waiting until the second and even the third and fourth rounds to draft a wide receiver. Even in the event that you do draft a first round wide receiver, you still will need a few years before that wide receiver makes any impact, and that is also dependent on the team and who the QB is. Just look a Braylon Edwards. I know there are exceptions like Randy Moss, but players like him come around once a decade. Unfortunately, I don't see any can't miss immediate impact-type talents in this year’s draft. Of course you can argue in favor of DeSean Jackson, but would he make much more of an impact as a receiver than what we already have?

Assuming that Crayton leaves for FA and Glenn retires due to injury, we would be better off getting a wide receiver that has already experienced the learning curve and is ready to contribute and let the young guys continue to learn and develop as receivers. Big name receivers like Roy Williams, Chad Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald come to mind, but that would require a trade of some sort. Expected free agents such as Bernard Baerrian and Donte Stallworth also come to mind as well. I seriously doubt NE lets Moss walk considering the success he has had there. If we are to get another wide receiver, go for one of those guys, not the draft.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
good. i'd rather make a mr potato wr instead.

if a dominate #1 or a legitimate speed WR is there at our pick, you take him and not hope a project pans out in austin, hurd or stanback. that said to get one of the wr's you point out we give up a #1 pick. net result the same. spend the pick on the position.

let's not "philadelphia" ourselves up while we're doing good.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Bach;1831110 said:
Yes, we do.

we need to replace quality with quality. whether that's the draft, FA, trade or a ronco-matic solution doesn't matter. we need to address the position and draft is one way to do it as are the others.

so the question really isn't whether we draft one in as much as opening up other options at the position.

pgreptom

Reaction score
I think it's safe to say you're one of the very few who think we don't need to draft a receiver in the upper rounds.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
wastedfluid;1831117 said:
I think it's safe to say you're one of the very few who think we don't need to draft a receiver in the upper rounds.

draft or address the position?

if arizona gets stupid and will give us fitz for clevelends #1, did we draft him?
if we work something out with detroit for roy williams, do we stilld draft?

draft is likely the method we'll go - but it's not the sole way to address the position. THIS is what i think he's saying "most people" seem to equate to him saying is the ONLY way, which he did not say.

sago1

Reaction score
You better believe we need to add another if Glenn and/or Crayton doesn't return. Your scenario leaves us with only 4 WRs and 3 of them (Hurd, Austin and Stanbach) don't scare anyone. Besides it entirely possible at least 1 of them will get hurt during the season that's why most teams carry at least 5 WRs. And what happens if that injuried WR is TO?

Now I'm not saying that the draft is the only way to go. Signing someone like Berium (sp?) in Chicago or maybe Hacket in Seattle or trading for Fitzpatrick might be a better option.

Finally Jerry didn't give Romo a $67M contract to have him through to a bunch of developmentals. He's not going to allow what happened in Philly (lousy WRs except for when TO there) to happen to Dallas and Romo.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
If Crayton is not re-signed they yes we do. Glenn will not be back, I'm assuming, due to injury. Austin and Hurd with fight it out to replace Crayton and Stanback needs a rookie with potential to push him. If Crayton is re-signed and Glenn comes back, then there is no room on the roster for a rookie unless he takes Hurd or Austin's spot.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;1831115 said:
we need to replace quality with quality. whether that's the draft, FA, trade or a ronco-matic solution doesn't matter. we need to address the position and draft is one way to do it as are the others.

so the question really isn't whether we draft one in as much as opening up other options at the position.

I don't care if we get a solid young starting caliber WR through FA or the draft. But if we don't get one through FA, then I hope we draft one.

TO probably only has 1-2 years left here. We don't know how much Glenn will fully recover from his injury and he isn't getting any younger. A lot depends on Crayton too. If he leaves via FA, then it makes it all the more crucial we address the position. Hurd and Miles have had their moments but I'm not sold they can be good starting receivers in this league. And right now, Stanback isn't even worth mentioning.

I'd rather we obtain an eventual replacement for TO/Glenn now rather than wait til we absolutely have to. We all know most rookie WR's don't just step right in. So if we do it now then they should get plenty of action and hopefully be ready for a starting role come '09.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Although the Cowboys seem happy with Austin and Hurd, I think givin Glenn's Age and Health, it would be wise to look into getting another WR weather it's though FA or the draft.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I agree with the author of this thread. I just don't see a wide receiver that begs to be drafted where we are in the first round.

Besides, he's not going to have an immediate impact on this team behind Hurd, Austin, Crayton (assuming we sign him), Glenn (assuming he can play another year), Stanback and, of course, T.O.

I just don't see it.

Strengthen the secondary with a corner or true free safety, the nose tackle position or the running back position with Julius Jones possibly leaving.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jdub2k4;1831100 said:
Owens age 34, isn't showing many signs of slowing down soon.
But here's the deal.

He is 34. He's putting up numbers equal to that of a premier wide receiver, which he still is, but he's still approaching the end of this career. He's our #1 receiving threat.

How long before we draft his successor? Now (next April) would be as good a time as any. There aren't any other shocking holes to fill in the roster...

Hold up! This just in! Breaking news!

Eduncan has rolled his eyes.

We now return to this thread which is already in progress.

Adding another #1 receiving thread in addition to Owens would make our receiving corps feared much more than it is right now and that's saying something.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
No, I don't want to use a 1st rounder on a WR, but i would have no problem with a 2nd or 3rd.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
First, we need to re-sign Crayton. He's a good contributor and, unless someone wants to pay him #1 money, we should be able to get that done at a fair rate.

Glenn is done, Hurd and Austin are #4 WRs at best. Stanback is an unknown. He's a bonus if he pans out.

All that says to me that we need to draft a WR in the first or 2nd round.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
We either sign a top-notch FA or draft a WR with one of our first round picks, or at least a 2nd pick. We need another very talented receiver so we aren't scrambling for one in the next two years. Why wait until we absolutely have to have another receiver and then depend on a rookie. It makes sense to get one now and let them develope over the next year or two, if we go the way of the draft. But, give me Larry Fitzgerald.

Angus

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. The coaches know what they already have or need better than anyone on the board, and Jeff Ireland will get them what they need if they need it.

;)

slogriff

Reaction score
I would like to see the Boys look for someone like Welker from the Pats. A strong & quick jitterbug-type receiver who can work underneath and get good YAC. Even more importantly they need the ability to be a good punt returner. It has been too long since we had a weapon to return kicks.