We don't need to draft a WR

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;1831732 said:
how about backing off on the insult truck and actually trying to comprehend what i said or am saying? is that too hard or does that get in the way of your "look mom! i insulted someone in the internet!" dance you seem to like to do? if you look at more than 1 post - even in this thread, my stance is and has been clear.

ya know, it's retreaded homerphobes like you that make this place difficult to be sometimes. you got a problem with what i say how about asking for clarification before going for some kill shot and doing a total wiff?

i've said time and again i want to go after fitzgerald with a #1 and get him. if that doesn't work then look around at what we can get and if that doesn't work and when we're on the clock and BPA is a WR - you take the WR.

is that quite clear or do i need to dumb it down more?

Okay first oh all I am no homer. I think I am the only person on here smart enough to realise that Barber will never be more then a #2 back.

I mean he runs backwards to much trying to make more out of a play then there is to be made. Second his style of run would not allow him to play as a #1 for long.

As far as the wideout goes. You do not DO NOT DO NOT! Take a WR in the 1st. How many 1st round Wideouts have worked out in the past 10 years? Not many. For every first round WR you can name that did work out I can name AT LEAST 5 that didn't.

The reason I came at you so strong is because people like you think we should go after someone like Jackson when we have plenty of young WR's right now and there will be plenty proven WR's to go after in the offseason.

The fact is we need a RB and no I am not saying we need to trade everything to grab Darren. But we do need someone that will shine and make teams respect the run so we can get better use out of our WR's that we spend so much on.

We also need help on D because while we do have a good D you I think bill said it best. "Never let good enough, be good enough."

So before you or anyone else goes posting again that we need to take a Wideout as a #1 put your brain to use. Thats why god gave it to you.

Oh and one lst thing. CB I can't take people saying we need to draft a CB in the first because King is projected to drop to the mid twenties of the second round.

We could grab Roy Williams as an UFA and King in the 2nd then use both our firsts a third and maybe a player to move up and grab a playmaker at HB any playmaker.

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1831876 said:
Not dumb by a long shot.

The draft is not an exact science but it yields results most of the time.
You, I and slushy like Roy Williams. So do many others.

But roy and other FAs who are worth bringing in will come with a bigger pricetag.

Draftees on the other hand, are less expensive in the lower reaches of the 1st round and beyond. Why? Because, yes, they are unproven.

But like i said in another post on this thread, you take any highly touted WR in the draft or an FA like Roy and just watch Romo make them blue chippers.

As far as dumbest thing I've heard recently on this tread, well, that might be the thought that you don't spend a pick on an unproven WR.
Keep in mind that many FA become busts too.

And, pal, I'd like to know which potential 1st-rounders in the draft are proven and are can't-miss picks. You could join any front office in the NFL with that kind of wisdom and knowledge.:)
First of all if we do try to grab a play maker wideout like DeSean we would have to trade up to the top ten and being drafted that high he would end up costing us alot.

We have alot of unproven wideouts. We don't need another project at that position. With the exception of Irvin we have had very bad luck at drafting WR's.

As far as Roy goes, I doubt he would turn into a bust. T.O. isn't getting any younger and we are going to need another big physical WR and he is perfect. If anything we need to look at people like Bernard for a deep threat.

We don't need another WR project to ride the bench all year. We need someone who can come in and give us an edge we need a HB.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
D-TownRadio;1832046 said:
First of all if we do try to grab a play maker wideout like DeSean we would have to trade up to the top ten WHO SAYS HE'LL BE IN THE TOP 10? HE'LL BE IN THE LATE FIRST. and being drafted that high he would end up costing us alot. AGAIN, BECAUSE ITS LATE ROUND, NOT THAT MUCH RELATIVELY SPEAKING
We have alot of unproven wideouts. We don't need another project at that position. IF YOU ARE PICKING IN THE FIRST, BELIEVE ME, I DON'T THINK THE DRAFTEE WILL BE A PROJECT; HE'LL HAVE A ROMO THROWING TO HIM. THAT WILL MAKE HIM A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR IN THE FIRST YEAR. With the exception of Irvin we have had very bad luck at drafting WR's.

As far as Roy goes, I doubt he would turn into a bust. T.O. isn't getting any younger and we are going to need another big physical WR and he is perfect.YES If anything we need to look at people like Bernard for a deep threat.

We don't need another WR project to ride the bench all year. We need someone who can come in and give us an edge we need a HB.

Pick the WR prospect that has a work ethic, size and speed and romo will make a star out of him. You can take that to the bank.

sbark

Reaction score
Take care of it via FA......seems to be JJ preference anyways. They seem to float up in FA often enough

Could easily be approaching a Jimmy Smith scenario..........drafted in 2nd round, 1st yr injury, slow development. Cowboys had some guys in front of him, ended up looseing patience with him

And we all know the story of his career with the Jags......

If anything draft a Welker type in mid rounds with some punt return skills and let Craytons high salary walk............Hurd or Stanbach can fill the slot for now

Reaction score
I believe Dallas has enough young talent in Austin, Hurd and Stanback, they can afford to pass on a WR in the 1st round...

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
D-TownRadio;1832038 said:
Okay first oh all I am no homer. I think I am the only person on here smart enough to realise that Barber will never be more then a #2 back.

I mean he runs backwards to much trying to make more out of a play then there is to be made. Second his style of run would not allow him to play as a #1 for long.

As far as the wideout goes. You do not DO NOT DO NOT! Take a WR in the 1st. How many 1st round Wideouts have worked out in the past 10 years? Not many. For every first round WR you can name that did work out I can name AT LEAST 5 that didn't.

The reason I came at you so strong is because people like you think we should go after someone like Jackson when we have plenty of young WR's right now and there will be plenty proven WR's to go after in the offseason.

The fact is we need a RB and no I am not saying we need to trade everything to grab Darren. But we do need someone that will shine and make teams respect the run so we can get better use out of our WR's that we spend so much on.

We also need help on D because while we do have a good D you I think bill said it best. "Never let good enough, be good enough."

So before you or anyone else goes posting again that we need to take a Wideout as a #1 put your brain to use. Thats why god gave it to you.

Oh and one lst thing. CB I can't take people saying we need to draft a CB in the first because King is projected to drop to the mid twenties of the second round.

We could grab Roy Williams as an UFA and King in the 2nd then use both our firsts a third and maybe a player to move up and grab a playmaker at HB any playmaker.

1. i don't really like jackson - so once again - quit being stupid. it's an effort, i know but try.

2. irvin worked out pretty well in the 1st. it's the player, not the pick.

3. so i tell you i want fitz first, roy 2nd, draft 3rd - and you still insist on being ignorant about my views and push your own stupidity, homer.

4. our offense is tops in the league - it must be ok w/o a superstar rb, right?

5. i agree the d needs work but now you don't want to draft a cb (cough newman cough) in the 1st cause they don't work out.

next time you "come at me" leave your dumbarse pre-conceived thoughts at the door. i got no use for them.

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;1832186 said:
1. i don't really like jackson - so once again - quit being stupid. it's an effort, i know but try.

2. irvin worked out pretty well in the 1st. it's the player, not the pick.

3. so i tell you i want fitz first, roy 2nd, draft 3rd - and you still insist on being ignorant about my views and push your own stupidity, homer.

4. our offense is tops in the league - it must be ok w/o a superstar rb, right?

5. i agree the d needs work but now you don't want to draft a cb (cough newman cough) in the 1st cause they don't work out.

next time you "come at me" leave your dumbarse pre-conceived thoughts at the door. i got no use for them.

LOL you realy aren't all that bright are you?
First would you mind telling me exactly what I said that would cause anyone to think I was being a homer?

Second I believe I said OTHER then Irvin we have had nothing but busts at 1st round WR's.

Third we are good without an elite rb but we will lose at least one of our backs this year most likely Jones and Barber is not an every down back and the only person that would act as though this guy is a franchise or even an every down back is a much bigger homer then I could ever be. He never has and never will be anything more then a good #2.

And finaly Fits is not a free agent this year! I wish some of you would get your facts straight. In order for us to even have a chance at him we would have to make one hell of a trade. If the Cards are even looking to get rid of him. Roy on the other hand is a UFA and has expressed that he wants to play in Texas and has also stated that he wants to be on a team with a chance to win.

As for a franchise back no we don't have one and no we don't need one to win but with an all around back it would make teams game plan against the run and would also give Romo another option to pass to.

I don't remember saying you should never draft a corner in the first I think I said we don't have to when one of the best corners in the NCCA is expected to drop as far as 25th in the 2nd. And if he doesn't there are plenty of good CB's in FA.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
cats_fighting_102006.jpg

Woods

Reaction score
I think we have to seriously CONSIDER adding a WR in 2008, either via the Draft or via FA.

TO is getting close to mid-30s, and no one knows if Glenn's knee can hold up an entire season. (I personally doubt it.)

Whether we add the WR prospect via FA or the Draft is irrelevant to me. That's up to Ireland to judge. If this is a relatively "poor" year for potential impact type WRs via the Draft, no need to force the issue, IMO. And if there are no FAs we are truly interested in, then fine.

That's why I say we should consider adding a WR. Not mandate it.

If we don't think we can get what we are ultimately looking for via the Draft or FA, rather than forcing the issue, let's just focus on other developing other positions where we feel more comfortable using that draft pick or that FA money.

We can also use picks to develop the RB position, ILB, CB, and NT, for example. That said, I do hope there is a WR in the Draft or FA where Ireland feels "comfortable" investing a draft pick in or using FA money on.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
D-TownRadio;1832240 said:
First would you mind telling me exactly what I said that would cause anyone to think I was being a homer?

Second I believe I said OTHER then Irvin we have had nothing but busts at 1st round WR's.

Third we are good without an elite rb but we will lose at least one of our backs this year most likely Jones and Barber is not an every down back and the only person that would act as though this guy is a franchise or even an every down back is a much bigger homer then I could ever be. He never has and never will be anything more then a good #2.

And finaly Fits is not a free agent this year! I wish some of you would get your facts straight. In order for us to even have a chance at him we would have to make one hell of a trade. If the Cards are even looking to get rid of him. Roy on the other hand is a UFA and has expressed that he wants to play in Texas and has also stated that he wants to be on a team with a chance to win.

As for a franchise back no we don't have one and no we don't need one to win but with an all around back it would make teams game plan against the run and would also give Romo another option to pass to.

I don't remember saying you should never draft a corner in the first I think I said we don't have to when one of the best corners in the NCCA is expected to drop as far as 25th in the 2nd. And if he doesn't there are plenty of good CB's in FA.

tell you what - you tell me where i said fitz was a FA and you've got a point. did i ever say that? HELL NO - so "some of you" need to pull your head out of your arse before putting words in my mouth.

like i said - people like you in here "look" for arguments and if you can't find one natually, you just make it up and get all "HA HA YOU FOOL" on people bout things you say they said but they never did.

all along i said fitz would take one of our 1st rounders but i'd do it. yep. i've said that. so you laughing at me for him not being a FA is you being just ignorant and again, looking for a fight and putting words in my mouth when you can't find one.

i never wanted to draft jackson, i've only asked about him and his style. so i'm not one of "those people" either you've whined at me for.

i'm done with you but you and your style is what's making this part of the board such a PITA to talk in. why not stop looking for a fight and ask questions if you think someone has a counter opinion?

or just keep being an insecure 12 year old.

your call.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I am really a fan of the BPA approach, especially if you have a team where you don't have any glaring needs.

I have no idea what type of talent is this year's draft at Receiver.

Now, I know some of these guys struggled or are struggling their rookie year but if Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson or someone of that mold is available, I wouldn't be strongly opposed to taking them.

I really don't think you need a player right away, so I would be open to drafting one.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1832443 said:
I am really a fan of the BPA approach, especially if you have a team where you don't have any glaring needs.

Now, I know some of these guys struggled or are struggling their rookie year but if Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson or someone of that mold is available, I wouldn't be strongly opposed to taking them.

I really don't think you need a player right away, so I would be open to drafting one.

hey - i'd love to get fitz. if that doesn't pan out, i've also said we should draft one *if* we can't fill it with a proven FA.

from there d-townboy just started getting delusional. he's arguing with someone who agrees with him - some people just gotta argue, i suppose.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
iceberg;1832451 said:
hey - i'd love to get fitz. if that doesn't pan out, i've also said we should draft one *if* we can't fill it with a proven FA.

from there d-townboy just started getting delusional. he's arguing with someone who agrees with him - some people just gotta argue, i suppose.

LOL

Yeah, if we could get Fitz or Williams FA, then I would be pleased.

I just don't know if one can come out and say, "Don't draft a receiver in the 1st Round".

I know the evidence has been pretty favorable to support this thinking, but I think you could say the same thing for alot of other positions as well.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1832507 said:
LOL

Yeah, if we could get Fitz or Williams FA, then I would be pleased.

I just don't know if one can come out and say, "Don't draft a receiver in the 1st Round".

I know the evidence has been pretty favorable to support this thinking, but I think you could say the same thing for alot of other positions as well.

the draft is a crapshoot across the board. i like BPA when BPA centers around obvious needs. if a rb is there, take him. OL, take him. if we have need in those areas, however. it's a dual pronged approach, BPA around areas of need, not just bpa.

you also use FA as best you can to fill gaps as well, but in the end you still have to draft *someone*. or be washington and trade 'em all for the latest shiney objects.

superpunk

Reaction score
Good plan next year - Javon Walker. Denver is not pleased with him, and feel they can roll with Stokley and Marshall, who is a beast. Walker could be available next season. I know alot of people wanted him when he was available from Green Bay - might be a chance for redemption. It would depend on Glenn, because if he AND TO come back, there is no reason for this - but it's something to look out for.

He will be 30, though, I guess.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
iceberg;1831108 said:
good. i'd rather make a mr potato wr instead.

if a dominate #1 or a legitimate speed WR is there at our pick, you take him and not hope a project pans out in austin, hurd or stanback. that said to get one of the wr's you point out we give up a #1 pick. net result the same. spend the pick on the position.

let's not "philadelphia" ourselves up while we're doing good.
THIS statement should have stopped this thread in it's track because it's SO true..... :bow:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1832443 said:

I agree. Don't force the pick. Take the best available player.

Why do fans think selecting a wide receiver in the first round makes them automatic?

I like what the Cowboys are doing, developing their talent.

And even if we don't pick a wide receiver, free agency is full of competent receivers.

I just don't see that many receivers in this group of college players who are anywhere near the level and talent of Calvin Johnson, Roy Williams, Braylon Edwards and Larry Fitzgerald (or is that Fitzpatrick?).

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
D-TownRadio;1832240 said:

He may not be bright we we like him plenty!!!:mad:

(no need to thank me, ice, i've got your back.)