We don't need to draft a WR

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
Ya see though we don't agree because the only way I don't see us grabbing Roy this year is if they tag him for a year. I think we could go a year without two big name WR's we are doing it now.
I don't see the need to draft WR's or CB's this year and feel the only real need we have is at HB because unlike most of the simple minded homers I can see that Barber is nothing more then a good #2 as I have stated before.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
jdub2k4;1831100 said:
Am I the only one that believes that the Cowboys do not need to draft another WR in the draft next season? The key word in that question is need. We already have three young wide receivers on the roster with the potential to be at least a number two (Hurd age 22, Austin age 23, and Stanback age 23). Owens age 34, isn't showing many signs of slowing down soon. Glenn age 33, may be on the way out the door, but it is really hard to tell at this point. Crayton age 28, will be headed for FA and a starting job elsewhere if the Cowboys fail to sign him in the off-season. You could look at the last tow sentences and conclude that we may only have four returning wide receivers next season. But why would you want to draft yet another wide receiver with the potential to be good when we already have three learning on the job?

<snip>

Assuming that Crayton leaves for FA and Glenn retires due to injury, we would be better off getting a wide receiver that has already experienced the learning curve and is ready to contribute and let the young guys continue to learn and develop as receivers. Big name receivers like Roy Williams, Chad Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald come to mind, but that would require a trade of some sort. Expected free agents such as Bernard Baerrian and Donte Stallworth also come to mind as well. I seriously doubt NE lets Moss walk considering the success he has had there. If we are to get another wide receiver, go for one of those guys, not the draft.

:clap:

Sandyf

Reaction score
First, neither Larry Fitzgerald nor Roy Williams will be free agents until after the 2008 season, so get either one would require a trade. Would Arizona or Detroit be acceptable to a trade, possibly.

Arizona has made known through various outlets that they are interested in getting a top RB in the draft. So a trade could possibly be worked out but highly unlikely. Same goes for Detroit with Roy Williams, and there is probably a better chance of making a trade with them. They were interested in Carpenter as a MLB, so say something like Carpenter, Hurd, and either another player or pick could land Roy Williams. He (Williams) will not be in Detroit after next year, so the smart move would be to get something for him now.

Do we need another WR? Maybe, maybe not! I do believe we sign Crayton to a 5 year deal after the season and both Glenn and Owens will be back for another year. Hurd, Austin and Stanback are improving and I (probably in the minority) believe Stanback will be something special at WR (a TO with better hands).

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to a WR late first or second round but the thing to remember is that there will be good WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds once all the juniors announce. It will not surprise me to see Bowman and Sweed both in the second round or DJ Williams out of Alabama in the 3rd. I would take a chance on any of the three.

Question to the board, is what would be the most effective position to take that could help the club right away in the draft assuming we sign no free agents (very unlikely). A rookie WR really isn't going to get much playing time and most likely very little impact.

I really think we sign two or three UFAs out of this list:

RB Justin Fargas
RB Michael Turner
RB Jesse Chatman
WR Bernard Berriman
WR Jerry Porter
WR Bryant Johnson
OG Alan Faneca
DE Jared Allen
DE Justin Smith
DE/OLB Terrell Suggs
DT Albert Haynesworth - don't think we wouldn't just because of what he did to Gurode, remember Owens and the star
CB Asante Samuels
CB Marcus Trufant

Signing FAs and RFAs will determine the moves we make in the draft.

My bet is that we won't have to worry about a WR in the first because somehow Jerry is going to go after McFadden with a passion especially if he starts to fall past the 5th spot in the draft. Just IMO.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If there is an opening they will hire a new employee. If they can upgrade the WR position then they will do so depending on the player(s) and costs. They will spend the proper amount of resources on a new employee based on talent and potential considering all the factors surrounding the draft, FA, our FAs, and trades.

See it's simple. :D

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
jdub2k4;1831100 said:
Am I the only one that believes that the Cowboys do not need to draft another WR in the draft next season? The key word in that question is need. We already have three young wide receivers on the roster with the potential to be at least a number two (Hurd age 22, Austin age 23, and Stanback age 23). Owens age 34, isn't showing many signs of slowing down soon. Glenn age 33, may be on the way out the door, but it is really hard to tell at this point. Crayton age 28, will be headed for FA and a starting job elsewhere if the Cowboys fail to sign him in the off-season. You could look at the last tow sentences and conclude that we may only have four returning wide receivers next season. But why would you want to draft yet another wide receiver with the potential to be good when we already have three learning on the job?

Consider that finding a true #1 receiver in the draft may be one of the toughest things for scouts to do. I would argue that the wide receiver position has the highest bust rate out of any position drafted in the first round. I think the reason for this is because:

a) College teams don't use complex coverage schemes. Most wide receivers with good speed can exploit these schemes with simple routes, and their stats end up become extremely inflated.
b) College receivers, even in top conferences, are matched up against defensive backs that would never even sniff the NFL practice field.
c) Receivers can either be benefited or hindered by the play of the QB. An average receiver with a top shelf QB would end up looking better than a great WR with a sub par QB that can't get him the ball.

With that said, you may be better off waiting until the second and even the third and fourth rounds to draft a wide receiver. Even in the event that you do draft a first round wide receiver, you still will need a few years before that wide receiver makes any impact, and that is also dependent on the team and who the QB is. Just look a Braylon Edwards. I know there are exceptions like Randy Moss, but players like him come around once a decade. Unfortunately, I don't see any can't miss immediate impact-type talents in this year’s draft. Of course you can argue in favor of DeSean Jackson, but would he make much more of an impact as a receiver than what we already have?

Assuming that Crayton leaves for FA and Glenn retires due to injury, we would be better off getting a wide receiver that has already experienced the learning curve and is ready to contribute and let the young guys continue to learn and develop as receivers. Big name receivers like Roy Williams, Chad Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald come to mind, but that would require a trade of some sort. Expected free agents such as Bernard Baerrian and Donte Stallworth also come to mind as well. I seriously doubt NE lets Moss walk considering the success he has had there. If we are to get another wide receiver, go for one of those guys, not the draft.
If he's released, I wish Dallas would bring in Johnnie Lee Higgins (Oakland). He's really under performed there, but, IMO, because he's not used correctly on a team that flat out sucks (see Randy Moss).

Higgins has great speed and made a career of going across the middle at UTEP.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
I can see us bringing in an experienced WR who wouldn't have to contend with a learning curve as rookies do. If that does happen, then I imagine we may take a closer look at a RB early in the draft 'cause Jones won't be here next year. If we can find a team who may still be interested in Carpenter, let's work out a deal with them, perhaps he may do something for another team

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I certainly do not agree...I think we need to use one of our first day picks on a WR unless we find a younger one in FA.

Hurd....he's done absolutely nothing to indicate he can be a 1 or a 2...making a handful of catches in the 3 wr set means nadda.

austin....return man, hasn't even done as much as Hurd.

Stanback....hasn't made it to the field yet as wr.

You have TO and Glenn who can be #1's, but Glenn is very close to done. Crayton is a #2 at best and not exactly one of the top #2's in the league, despite his somewhat gaudy stats.

TO is the only #1 who might be here for 2-3 years, but even that is iffy...at any age, if you are that thin at WR, you are screwed. With Harrison down for so long, would even Manning be winning without a guy like Reggie Wayne stepping into the #1 role?

Without T.O., we are laughable and possibly as poor as any team in the NFL at the WR position. It's time to find a guy who can get on the field right away, not a project...a guy who can easily step in at #2 and will be ready to be #1 in 2-3 years if not sooner.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Sandyf;1833107 said:
I really think we sign two or three UFAs out of this list:

RB Justin Fargas
RB Michael Turner
RB Jesse Chatman
WR Bernard Berriman
WR Jerry Porter
WR Bryant Johnson
OG Alan Faneca
DE Jared Allen
DE Justin Smith
DE/OLB Terrell Suggs
DT Albert Haynesworth - don't think we wouldn't just because of what he did to Gurode, remember Owens and the star
CB Asante Samuels
CB Marcus Trufant

Signing FAs and RFAs will determine the moves we make in the draft.

My bet is that we won't have to worry about a WR in the first because somehow Jerry is going to go after McFadden with a passion especially if he starts to fall past the 5th spot in the draft. Just IMO.
I'd like Michael Turner & Bernard Berrian from that list, please.