We don't need to draft a WR

vlad

Reaction score
I never throw out ludicrous trades like JuJo and our #1 for the first overall pick (yes, I know Julius is a UFA, just an example).

But given the news that Roy Williams is set on leaving Detroit, I call up that genius GM of theirs Millen and see what it takes to land Roy...he's the protoypical type WR for our system. Big, fast, uses his body, great hands...

I'd much rather trade a #1 for a 25 year old proven WR with huge upside than someone who killed the Big 10...

pgreptom

Reaction score
iceberg;1831125 said:
draft or address the position?

if arizona gets stupid and will give us fitz for clevelends #1, did we draft him?
if we work something out with detroit for roy williams, do we stilld draft?

draft is likely the method we'll go - but it's not the sole way to address the position. THIS is what i think he's saying "most people" seem to equate to him saying is the ONLY way, which he did not say.

Okay smart***;

It's safe to say we need to address the situation.. Preferably draft since it's obviously cheaper, but with more risks.. but the reward outweighs the risk of not addressing it in FA. I don't think we can afford another high-profile WR like Williams, or Fitzgerald, with all of the players we should/have/need to lock up this year.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
wastedfluid;1831270 said:
Okay smart***;

It's safe to say we need to address the situation.. Preferably draft since it's obviously cheaper, but with more risks.. but the reward outweighs the risk of not addressing it in FA. I don't think we can afford another high-profile WR like Williams, or Fitzgerald, with all of the players we should/have/need to lock up this year.

and what would "i think it's safe to say you're one of the few"? be? forum love?

don't like your own language?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Danny White;1831219 said:
I think Brandon Lloyd will be available.

;)

Oh, you must have misunderstood my previous post. We don't need anyone to wash the jock straps or clean the cleats. :D

conner01

Reaction score
the problem is guys like johnson,fritz,and williams are not f.a.
so to get them you are gonna have to give up alot and then you never know if a team is even going to be willing to trade them.
if you go f.a. you are gonna be playing big money for a guy who is slightly above average. there are no top flight wr's in this class of f.a.
because it takes a while to develope a wr makes the best argument to get one now while t.o. is still playing well so you have a guy to step in for him when he's done

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;1831108 said:
good. i'd rather make a mr potato wr instead.

if a dominate #1 or a legitimate speed WR is there at our pick, you take him and not hope a project pans out in austin, hurd or stanback. that said to get one of the wr's you point out we give up a #1 pick. net result the same. spend the pick on the position.

let's not "philadelphia" ourselves up while we're doing good.
This has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Don't spend a pick on a young proven NFL player spend it on an unproven possible bust in the draft! Yeah thats it! Great thinking there bug guy. Thank god you have nothing to do with the cowboys.

Reaction score
I think we should get Crayton back hes deffinately proven himself over the years and continuing to impress. Let him and Romo get their chemistry down and they won't dissappoint. Especially with TO and Witten. I think that combo is ranked second in the league. I hope Crayton stays.

If not...Bernard Berrian... has had some issues with his hands but I think hes a burner and would fit in nice and add another deep threat. Plus I think hes his own agent or dropped his earlier this year cause of some fiasco and represents himself now.

Whats Roddy Whites situation like?

BlueStar II

Reaction score
Whether it's through FA or the draft, I feel that we "do" need another young WR, and ideally, one who has an extra gear. While we do have Crayton, but there is not guarantee he'll be here next year, and with Austin and Hurd, they haven't shown me enough yet to bypass a quality WR in the draft should one be on the board when it's our turn. As far as Stanback goes, he does have the physical skills to play the position, but he's still raw as a WR, and I've seen too many players come/go who have the word "potential" attached to their name(s), but haven't panned out for us as hoped. T.O. is having a great season, but at his age, he won't be able to keep up at his current pace forever, and Glenn's return to his old form, and hope that the knee injury doesn't linger, that's even more of a concern to me. So, yes...I feel we do need to address WR in either FA or the draft. If, by chance, T.O should go down with an injury, and if Glenn's knee prevents him from coming back or continues to linger and bother him, I do not have enough confidence in our current young WRs (other than Crayton) to want to see them out there for an extended period of time.

Angus

Reaction score
D-TownRadio;1831438 said:
This has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Don't spend a pick on a young proven NFL player spend it on an unproven possible bust in the draft! Yeah thats it! Great thinking there bug guy. Thank god you have nothing to do with the cowboys.

Hello, Danny Snyder! Is that you?

:D

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
If we do not draft one, then we need our T.O. game breaking wr from free agency (Fitz--fingers crossed)

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

how about backing off on the insult truck and actually trying to comprehend what i said or am saying? is that too hard or does that get in the way of your "look mom! i insulted someone in the internet!" dance you seem to like to do? if you look at more than 1 post - even in this thread, my stance is and has been clear.

ya know, it's retreaded homerphobes like you that make this place difficult to be sometimes. you got a problem with what i say how about asking for clarification before going for some kill shot and doing a total wiff?

i've said time and again i want to go after fitzgerald with a #1 and get him. if that doesn't work then look around at what we can get and if that doesn't work and when we're on the clock and BPA is a WR - you take the WR.

is that quite clear or do i need to dumb it down more?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
D-TownRadio;1831665 said:
Bernard Berrian and Roy Williams would make me happy.

i've also said we should go after roy sevaral times over the last few months. let me know when you're done feeling stupid about quick judgements. it should take awhile so i'll check back at the start of 2008.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
jdub2k4;1831100 said:
Am I the only one that believes that the Cowboys do not need to draft another WR in the draft next season?

I don't know. And I appreciate your carefully laid out premise against drafting a WR in the early rounds.

However
Anytime you have your two showcase receivers (TO and TG) at middle age and your No. 2 receiver up for FA, you gotta address WR.
Whehter it is addressed in FA or in the draft, you gotta get new blood. Not just a journeyman type like Crayton but an honest to goodness blue-chipper like Roy Williams of Detroit. RW is a veteran but still young and is 6'3'' and no pushover at 210 pounds.

The draft will have Desean Jackson from Cal and Malcolm Kelly from Oklahoma late in the first round.
Hurd, Miles and Stanback still have a ways to go.

If anyone here is not convinced that Williams is a blue-chipper -- or even Jackson or Kelly -- just watch Romo turn them into pro bowlers. Romo is that good.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Not dumb by a long shot.

The draft is not an exact science but it yields results most of the time.
You, I and slushy like Roy Williams. So do many others.

But roy and other FAs who are worth bringing in will come with a bigger pricetag.

Draftees on the other hand, are less expensive in the lower reaches of the 1st round and beyond. Why? Because, yes, they are unproven.

But like i said in another post on this thread, you take any highly touted WR in the draft or an FA like Roy and just watch Romo make them blue chippers.

As far as dumbest thing I've heard recently on this tread, well, that might be the thought that you don't spend a pick on an unproven WR.
Keep in mind that many FA become busts too.

And, pal, I'd like to know which potential 1st-rounders in the draft are proven and are can't-miss picks. You could join any front office in the NFL with that kind of wisdom and knowledge.:)

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
You can argue whether or not we should draft a WR or not. But it really comes down to what we do in FA, as I do recall, it starts before the draft. I think we need to get younger at WR, and for starters, let's re-sign Crayton. And than if we address our needs in FA, than we can draft a WR or trade our draft picks for a WR (Fitz or Roy Williams). All I want is for our scouting department to be right on whoever we get however we get them.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
My money is finding the next Jennings type in round 2-3. Safer pick - look at all the bust WR's in one. In fact speed is almost a liability as a WR in 2007 (Williamson, Lelie). Give me a quick WR that gets separation and open FAST with good hands. See what Shaun Lil Mac Did to us, Wes Welker, those are quick types. Gone are the days of Drew Bledsoe and 7 step drops. The NFL defenses have made that obsolete. It's all about getting open fast, hot reads and 3-5 step drops. QB's rarely have the time to chuck bombs to the speedsters anymore.....