We got a good one, boys. A real good one

J_Allen

Reaction score
Harper never took it to the next level and actually plummeted once he got the big money.
That's because he was never a number one receiver. We still needed him but had to roll with 5 ft 7 Kevin Williams on the other side of Irvin. And from what I've heard Aikman did not like him.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
That's because he was never a number one receiver. We still needed him but had to roll with 5 ft 7 Kevin Williams on the other side of Irvin. And from what I've heard Aikman did not like him.
Yeah Harper and Troy clashed for some reason(s)
Credit both for not making their issues with each other more public.

plasticman

Reaction score
"I listened to everybody..." That's my point. He did listen. And regardless of how upset and mad he was, Jerry made the right call.

I get you don't like him, but it seems like an odd thing to hang your hat on....like how he overvalues home grown talent and causes cap hell year after year.
You are missing the point. Yes, he has the right, I suppose, to drive this franchise into the ground. he's the owner of the Cowboys, right?

He has no moral obligation to find the best experts he can in order to give the Cowboys and their fans the best opportunity to celebrate a championship, right?

Is that right? If he wants to prove a point, then he can spend another 27 years playing with his toy despite his expressed commitment to continue the winning tradition in 1989.

if you are satisfied with his performance as a GM then I envy you. Their history of this team that I witnessed forces me to maintain the standard created by the franchise's first two HC's.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well, it's not an "accident" if you pass on Manziel and take Martin, is it.

In the end, Jerry had to approve the pick. Even if the rumors were true and he favored Manzil he made the right move in the end.

By the way, although I wasn't one of them, a TON of people in this forum wanted Manziel.
A huge number wanted him. It was so bad I made a list
For all I know, you could have been one of them
I found the list and quotes from Zoners who badly wanted Dallas to take Johnny Manziel.
People dont remember how crazy it was around here and how divided the forum was.

We've all been wrong on draft before but this was a very loud, angry, and obnoxious fight, so it stood out.
Tempted to list the names (and quotes) so we can have QB evaluation perspective, but not necessary to make the point.

I will list a few quotes (names excluded) from some prominent posters here.

• "Dallas/Jerry chickened out and missed a huge opportunity to change the direction of this franchise"
  • " I will cry tears of joy if we trade up and get JM"
  • "I would be ecstatic if we took Manziel!. It would set this franchise up for the next 8-10 years!"
  • "We should use our 1st, 3rd, and 5th, to move to get JM"
  • "Manziel won't make it past the top 5, but if he gets to 10 we MUST trade up to get him"
  • "he'll NEVER drop to 16 but if he does we have to take him. He is a can't miss prospect"
  • "We will rue the day if we don't draft JM. He is very special"
  • " I would be the happiest man on earth (if we took JM). I would thank God every day!"
:lmao:

Those are just a few....and these are people that post here regularly and they know who they are.
Just keep that in mind.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't think we ever intended to draft manziel. It was all for publicity. That's Jerry's version of the super bowl since he's never won one on his own. Super Bowl 30 doesn't count at all.
Why doesn't SB 30 count? That would debunk your claim so you conveniently exclude it. You would have us believe Barry Switzer is responsible for that SB win? Do not give the lame excuse that the team was on autopilot.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Still not proof. How do you know this?
Because my best friend worked for the Cowboys for 8 years. He worked the draft party. He saw the jerseys. I've also hung out and drank beers with Todd Williams.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because my best friend worked for the Cowboys for 8 years. He worked the draft party. He saw the jerseys. I've also hung out and drank beers with Todd Williams.
This could be typical of all teams. Have jerseys made up for several players of who they may pick.
It was not because Jerry already planned to pick Johnny. If so, why only make 100.

Just like all sports have pre-made shirts made up for winning a championship, The ones that are not used, because that team lost, are given to charities, usually over seas.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Culture is funny...winning big games changes the narrative. Culture matters alot when you aint winning games u should be winning. The cure is winning, plain and simple. This current team lacks an understanding of what it takes. They are ignorant. Sad part is, I dont think they ever had a teacher type coach that will show it like Zim will. DQ was more a rah rah guy positivity nonsense. Kinda like Garrett. That only goes so far. Draw back with Zimmer is the age gap. Can he get enough players to buy in and believe? Belief is a big thing.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
This could be typical of all teams. Have jerseys made up for several players of who they may pick.
It was not because Jerry already planned to pick Johnny. If so, why only make 100.

Just like all sports have pre-made shirts made up for winning a championship,
Great story, but what's your point? Jerry wanted Manziel, and even the MC at the draft party had the crowd chanting this name.

1942willys

Reaction score
You can always tell the Jerry minions by the Manziel story; they will NEVER believe how close it was even If Jerry told them; then they would claim he cannot remember

I was watching the Draft Show on CBS I think it was and several of the talking heads also thought Dallas was going to take him. To Jazz and Rambo there will NEVER be enough proof

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
giphy.gif
:laugh:

Reaction score
Yep I forgot about Ron Stone. I definitely would have kept him over newton. We never recovered from losing Harper and we kept trying to replace him. The biggest piece that was missing on the 95 team was harper. He was our deep threat and Jones just let him walk.
What about that receiver that Jerry let go and became a hall of famer?