We Had a Guy Wide Open on the Fake Punt

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Blackspider214, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Beaker42

Beaker42 Well-Known Member

5,078 Messages
    4,237 Likes Received
    Cut Cedric. Easy solution.

2. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

16,579 Messages
    14,342 Likes Received
    No interview with Wilson yet?

3. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

9,677 Messages
    12,643 Likes Received
    Not as big of one as the coaching staff had calling it.

DCBoysfan likes this.
  4. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

16,579 Messages
    14,342 Likes Received
    The most reasonable interpretation I've heard.

Maybe they didn't anticipate the guy playing contain on the edge in practice, so Wilson was accustomed to running wide with it, and got flustered when that was cut off.

5. Qcard

Qcard Well-Known Member

3,091 Messages
    3,034 Likes Received
    No...Eye Test Mafia figured out the beat. We drop independent mix tapes now.

Update your football app. It's about 50 years old:facepalm::flagwave:

6. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

10,545 Messages
    12,929 Likes Received
    If the guy dropped the pass, the he drops it. And you blame him. Most NFL players can catch a ball if no one at all is around them. Even OL can catch balls. Dak caught a ball with defenders around him. But the fact that the guy did not even attempt the pass or even look down field is the gripe here. All he had to do was toss it out there to him. No need to hit him in stride. Just get the completion, 1st down and move on. Maybe he scores, maybe he doesn't.

But Wilson is a lefty. If this was a designed pass, why would they have him running to the right and expect him to throw against his body? This isn't a QB who deals with that and can make it happen. It's even hard for them, much less some down the depth chart WR. That play should have been ran the other way.

I honestly don't mind what McCarthy does. Pederson and Rivera do the same thing. Both went to Super Bowls being aggressive and questionable calls. But they worked for them. It's win/lose situation. You are a genius if it works and a loser if it doesn't. I had zero problem going for it on 4th and inches earlier. But the call was stupid.

Remember, we went for it on 4th and short last Thanksgiving against Buffalo deep inside our own territory and it worked. It also wasn't a pass, though like it was last night.

7. tico

tico Well-Known Member

2,196 Messages
    1,352 Likes Received
    4&10 but he runs -15 yards to get another 10+.. garbage Moore

8. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

22,721 Messages
    19,418 Likes Received
    I don't think he even saw the open guy. I don't think he even looked. It seemed to me he wanted to just do it all by himself rather than playing team football.

9. Cmac

Cmac Well-Known Member

6,126 Messages
    4,161 Likes Received
    I'm beginning to think if you went to Boise State......you good, on this team.

10. Silly

Silly Well-Known Member

674 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    I don't know. It is not as easy as you think to throw a football 30 yards.

11. rnr_honeybadger

rnr_honeybadger Well-Known Member

5,534 Messages
    7,105 Likes Received
    This team is in tank mode

12. Techsass

Techsass Well-Known Member

3,041 Messages
    3,947 Likes Received
    Isn't 2014 when Zack Martin got drafted? Hmmm

13. blueblood70

blueblood70 Well-Known Member

15,403 Messages
    11,016 Likes Received
    weve discussed this yes horrible play call and worse execution.. Ced never even looked up decided to go full selfish and take it himself..most of us could have stopped and hucked up a rainbow and prayer and got that near whomever had his arm up for 10secs LOL that sandlot football easy to see and complete..

so when MM says he stands behind the call, this is what he meant it was designed well and not executed..ced needs to be schooled on how that RPO was supposed to work..it wasn't a run all the way..

just for fun Beasly would have hit him in stride..lol

14. blueblood70

blueblood70 Well-Known Member

15,403 Messages
    11,016 Likes Received
    no but behind the scenes im sure Mr Wilson was tied to chair had his eyelids tooth picked open and made to watch that play 99 times..not 100 that would be considered torture LOL

Techsass likes this.
  15. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

21,449 Messages
    17,993 Likes Received
    I had this thought when it happened. I still think it was a bad play call though.

Jack Burton likes this.
  16. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

18,633 Messages
    24,356 Likes Received
    He probably scores there and everyone is amazed at the guts of that call. But that’s football.

17. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

56,323 Messages
    24,528 Likes Received
    LOL.... This is the problem right here. Guys coming in thinking you need a "Football App" to understand what is actually going on.

Don't talk, you just hurt the team......

18. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

10,545 Messages
    12,929 Likes Received
    The play call was great. It got them what they wanted. A man wide open down the field. The execution was terrible, though.

I know many say the timing was terrible since it was only 20-16 and our defense had been holding their own. But we have Dalton at QB and he was very pedestrian at best that game. Who knows how long that defense would hold up. He took a huge chance. The play call worked. But we failed miserably at executing it. Not sure how much they practiced it. It's one of those calls that make you look like you have big brass balls if it works and you have egg on your face if it doesn't.

Sort of like the Super Bowl of Pats/Eagles. NE tried a pass to Brady early in the game. He was wide open. But he drops the ball. And then people question why you take the ball out of your best player and make him a receiver. Before the end of the half, Pederson calls the same play to Nick Foles. And he catches it. That was 4th down. He looks like a genius because it worked.

That's the way sports goes. A very fine line between huge success and extreme failure.

blueblood70 likes this.
  19. TequilaCowboy

TequilaCowboy Well-Known Member

383 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    LOL, there were more farts on that play than in Blazing Saddles.. " good lord, i think you boys have had enough" Slim Pickens.

20. CT Dal Fan

CT Dal Fan Well-Known Member

5,859 Messages
    10,247 Likes Received
    No matter how you analyze it this was the dumbest call you can make in a 20-16 game.

Now if you're farther downfield and have an actual defense; maybe you try this instead of, say, a 58 yard field goal. But not deep in your own territory in a game you've already lost momentum in.