We Had a Guy Wide Open on the Fake Punt

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The more I am dissecting the fake punt, the more I am leaning the play design was not bad at all. It seemed we wanted to sell the run long enough to have the defenders come in a little and have the gunner running free down the sideline for an easy big gain or even score. As in the pic below.But a few things....Why did Wilson never even look up at all? Never even attempted to pass or even look down field. Also,Wilson is left handed so why is he running across his body if we wanted him to throw? Just a weird play all the way around. I do feel all he had to do was stop a little, set his feet and make an easy throw for someone who used to play QB in college. Might not have hit him in stride for a score but an easy pick up and big gain. It was still a very reckless call in the game situation and where we were at on the field but the execution seemed off, too.

Capture.png
Monumentally stupid call, its only a 4 point game and you try something like this from your own 20?

There are only about 10 things that could all go wrong and if you dont convert the game is pretty much over. This is the type of play you practice all season long and unveil it at the prefect opportunity and virtually every player has the entire play memorized. You dont try something like this on a short week, very little practice, and coming off the death of a coach where maybe the players are not 100% focused.

Overall, this looks like a giant miscommunication. Everybody on the field was playing it like it was a pass except Cedrick who was playing it run all the way, he never even bothers to look downfield or get into a pass stance. This proves my point exactly, see above.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The play call was great. It got them what they wanted. A man wide open down the field. The execution was terrible, though.

I know many say the timing was terrible since it was only 20-16 and our defense had been holding their own. But we have Dalton at QB and he was very pedestrian at best that game. Who knows how long that defense would hold up. He took a huge chance. The play call worked. But we failed miserably at executing it. Not sure how much they practiced it. It's one of those calls that make you look like you have big brass balls if it works and you have egg on your face if it doesn't.

Sort of like the Super Bowl of Pats/Eagles. NE tried a pass to Brady early in the game. He was wide open. But he drops the ball. And then people question why you take the ball out of your best player and make him a receiver. Before the end of the half, Pederson calls the same play to Nick Foles. And he catches it. That was 4th down. He looks like a genius because it worked.

That's the way sports goes. A very fine line between huge success and extreme failure.
It wasn't the type of play I objected to, it was the fact they called a fake punt at that point in the game and that location on the field, and that distance to the first down marker.

JReed1000

Reaction score
So wide open that the only person that may have tackled him is the punt returner

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I can see MM thinking on this....you are only 4 points down and deep in your territory...but you punt the ball and not trusting your defense, they will go down and score again and see it slipping away two scores down. and Plus you have the element of surprise. The surprise was to Wilson who did not know he was supposed to throw the dammm ball. The play would have worked if not for that bonehead move. Personally, i would have punted and taken my chances on this piss poor defense. At least i wouldn't have any keyboard geniuses on my back asking why i punted.