We have the chance to pick the best defensive player in the draft

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Right up to the time and that little Stevie thinks he can outsmart the rest of the league and trades back to far only to find the board wiped. And then trades back some more

Western

Reaction score
When in the entire history of the NFL draft, has a CB been ever been considered the best defensive player?

Even Derrick Thomas (LB/DE) in 1989 was selected ahead of Deion, & was arguably equal to Deion in his impact at as a player.
And Horn/Surtain ain't no Deion.

Point is, the probability that a CB at the #10 selection is the best defensive player (or even the BPA), and turns out to be the best defensive player of the draft, is virtually zero.
Yet, absent a quality trade offer, Jerry and his cronies are all but ready to make a CB the first defensive player selected in a draft -- what a joke.
If forced to remain at #10, an OL, LB, DT, Edge Rusher, & even a WR would have more draft value/impact at #10.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Who would have thought at #10 we have the possibility to pick the best defensive player in the draft? While it appears to be a down year for defense, we still could have the pick of the litter with it looking like offense will go with the first 9 picks. Pretty amazing.

Who’s your selection? Both tackles and Pitts are gone.

No defensive player in this draft is worth a 10th pick. Id trade down if Sewell is not available.

Surtain to me would be worth at 15. Horn is not a good CB. Id not pick him in the first round.

Western

Reaction score
When in the entire history of the NFL draft, has a CB been ever been considered the best defensive player?

Even Derrick Thomas (LB/DE) in 1989 was selected ahead of Deion, & was arguably equal to Deion in his impact at as a player.

Point is, the probability that a CB at the #10 selection is the best defensive player (or even the BPA), and turns out to be the best defensive player of the draft, is virtually zero.
Yet, absent a quality trade offer, Jerry and his cronies are all but ready to make a CB the first defensive player selected in a draft -- what a joke.
If forced to remain at #10, an OL, LB, DT, Edge Rusher, & even a WR would have more draft value/impact at #10.
Woodson in 1998 draft was the best defensive player (could make an argument than Revis in 2007 draft was the best defensive player, however Patrick Willis could be considered an equal to Revis).
Yet, Woodson was a Heisman trophy winner in 1997.
Overall, over 85 years of the nfl draft, and maybe two instances where a CB was the best defensive player.
Not good odds.
Moreover, neither Surtain/Horn are in the Woodson/Revis class of player.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Its JOK if you want a guy to actually make a real splash on this bland defense

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Who would have thought at #10 we have the possibility to pick the best defensive player in the draft? While it appears to be a down year for defense, we still could have the pick of the litter with it looking like offense will go with the first 9 picks. Pretty amazing.

Who’s your selection? Both tackles and Pitts are gone.

It's kind of a different year, for sure. You have some really unusual prospects that just blow out the numbers on the Offensive side of the ball but to be honest, you have a relatively weak Defensive Class at the top. I mean, it's really deep with a lot of good Defensive players that go deep into the draft but not a lot of can't miss guys at the top Defensively. I guess it is what it is.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I have zero faith that our franchise would know how to use a player like that
I mean, quinn had Neal and Chancellor. Gus Bradley had Derwin James. From a testing standpoint JOK is more athletic than all of them, especially Neal/Kam. If he's Derwin James you draft him over Surtain and Horn. Those 2 aren't Jalen Ramsey or even marshon Lattimore I dont care what people say

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No CB is going to make that much difference and take us deep into the playoffs. Think Mo Claiborne or Patrick Peterson or any other CB playing the game today. We need lots of scoring and Pitts is that guy.

I don't see a WR or Pitts making a lot of difference either, to be honest. We have plenty of Offense but only one ball. The only Offensive player that I see making a big impact this year is a cornerstone OL, to be honest.

I get the Defensive thing but you gotta start somewhere or you'll never get anywhere. That's my opinion anyhow.

Adreme

Reaction score

First off Derrick Thomas was in no way equal to Deion as a player and it is ludicrous to say so. Deion literally shut down an entire side of the field out of fear. There are maybe a handful of players in the history of the NFL on defense who can say they inspired that kind of fear.

Second, off the top of my head 2016. Best defensive player in that draft was Ramsay. Bosa is a bit behind but the second highest impact and then there is a gap before anyone else.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You don't have to search the entire history of the league just our team to answer your question. Just a few years ago when the Cowboys took Mo.

Taking a DT or DE at 10 would be a epic misuse of draft capital. There isn't a DL in this draft with a higher grade than MULTIPLE CB's.

Western

Reaction score
First off Derrick Thomas was in no way equal to Deion as a player and it is ludicrous to say so. Deion literally shut down an entire side of the field out of fear. There are maybe a handful of players in the history of the NFL on defense who can say they inspired that kind of fear.

Second, off the top of my head 2016. Best defensive player in that draft was Ramsay. Bosa is a bit behind but the second highest impact and then there is a gap before anyone else.
Derrick Thomas --126 career sacks, Hall of Famer, & All-Pro player -- he is very much an equal as to Deion.
What evidence indicates Deion "shut down" an entire side of the field -- that's right there are no statistics/evidence to prove your assertion.
Derrick Thomas, like the great sack artists/edge players, LT, Bruce Smith, Reggie White, etc., -- actually stopped offenses in their tracks with sacks and tackles.
There is not a GM in this league (except maybe Jerry) that would take Ramsey over Joey Bosa (47 career sacks).
Bosa's impact on a defense is significantly greater than Ramsey -- Ramsey was so "good" that the Jags decided to trade him away, realizing he was a mistake.