We haven’t been bad enough to be really good

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see people here complaining that we never win anything and never advance in the post season. Some of those same people root for mediocrity and cherish every win in a horrible year. Fewer wins equal higher draft position.

I just looked up the regular season win totals from 2000 through 2018 and we had the 13th most wins during that time. Easily in the top half.

If you look at 2010-2018 we actually were even better at 11th overall in regular season wins. The problem, as I see it is that we are seldom terrible. Mediocrity leaves you with a middle of the round draft pick? Where most of the blue chip players are already gone.

What would this team have looked like with Aaron Donald? Khalil Mack? Etc.
Nobody is rooting for mediocrity. That's a ridiculous comment.

They do want to see the team win, and if that happens to be in a bad year it's not because they are rooting against a high draft pick, or for mediocrity, it's simply because they want to enjoy watching a football game on Sunday afternoon.

conner01

Reaction score
I see people here complaining that we never win anything and never advance in the post season. Some of those same people root for mediocrity and cherish every win in a horrible year. Fewer wins equal higher draft position.

I just looked up the regular season win totals from 2000 through 2018 and we had the 13th most wins during that time. Easily in the top half.

If you look at 2010-2018 we actually were even better at 11th overall in regular season wins. The problem, as I see it is that we are seldom terrible. Mediocrity leaves you with a middle of the round draft pick? Where most of the blue chip players are already gone.

Being avg makes building much harder
The draft is designed to improve bad teams. So being avg hurts you while being bad helps you for the future
Assuming you draft well

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I feel a great FO can find great players even in the middle of the round or late in the round. Just have to find the right player to fit your system, whether it is offensive or defensive. And then develop them and put them in positions to succeed. That is where Dallas coaching fails the player. They are either put in another position they are not familiar with and hope they develop or do not take advantage of their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. Coaching and development is key in the NFL....all teams have chances to draft great players, it is what you do with them that is the difference between being a Pittsburgh or being a Cincinnati. It is no shock why the NFCE is the worst division right now....look at their FO... they are poorly run, and the Giants, WFT, and Dallas have new coaches who have not put their stamp on their team yet. Pederson on the verge of getting run out of town already as is the GM....picking Hurts really hurts. The guy ain't no Murray or even Mayfield.

ghst187

Reaction score
Of course. However, those teams don't take injured LB's and slow TE's in the 2nd round. They gladly lap up the D trench guys that we leave sitting there because we prefer flash.

exactly. But they also don’t overpay for past performance and let unnecessary stars walk before saddling themselves to an unforgiving contract that eats up all their cap space for years and results in massive dead money when the player is done two years before their contract....

Verdict

Reaction score
And that's the problem. He isn't, but then wants to make decisions. Which means we have a completely uninformed guy making major decisions as a GM.

I don’t think Jerry is even calling the shots anymore. Otherwise Manziel would have been a Cowboy. Jerry just gets up and talks a lot now.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Take away the three 5-11 seasons from 2000-02, the 6-10 in 2004/2010, and the 4-12 in 2015, and of course 2020 and the Cowboys would be even higher on this list.

This is one of the best regular season teams in recent NFL history; which only adds to us fans' frustration. You'd think they would have caught lighting in a bottle at least once during this span and won another Super Bowl; but it just hasn't happened.

Verdict

Reaction score
If you are always drafting in the bottom half of the draft, it’s bad news on draft day.

kskboys

Reaction score
exactly. But they also don’t overpay for past performance and let unnecessary stars walk before saddling themselves to an unforgiving contract that eats up all their cap space for years and results in massive dead money when the player is done two years before their contract....
Yup. They keep an eye on the future. Jerry and Stephanie are always shocked when the future slaps them upside the head.

kskboys

Reaction score
Take away the three 5-11 seasons from 2000-02, the 6-10 in 2004/2010, and the 4-12 in 2015, and of course 2020 and the Cowboys would be even higher on this list.

This is one of the best regular season teams in recent NFL history; which only adds to us fans' frustration. You'd think they would have caught lighting in a bottle at least once during this span and won another Super Bowl; but it just hasn't happened.
W/ a weak NT and S's, no, you don't think they'd have caught lightning in a bottle. Teams that rise up and win super bowls are almost always ones w/ a strong middle to their D, not teams built around the O.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
LOL, the title of the OP sounds to me like a hit country western song.....really nice...:thumbup:

starfan1

Reaction score
Being avg makes building much harder
The draft is designed to improve bad teams. So being avg hurts you while being bad helps you for the future
Assuming you draft well
New England has been good for several years so has Seattle and Pittsburgh so you don’t have to suck to get good

You have to be smarter in the draft room and have good coaching
Imo

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I see people here complaining that we never win anything and never advance in the post season. Some of those same people root for mediocrity and cherish every win in a horrible year.

Fans can do that because what we root for has no bearing on whether it happens or not.

Fewer wins equal higher draft position.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. :rolleyes:

The problem is the front office, has been the front office, and will be the front office for the foreseeable future. Teams that aren't garbage find a way to move up and get players. The key is not to screw it up. Booger & Son still haven't mastered that skill. Give them another 25 years.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

What would they have looked like with Jaylon Ramsey instead of Zeke and TJ Watt instead of Taco? Just those two horrible draft decisions would have made a huge difference. What if they took the safety Rapp instead of Hill?

Diggs, Rapp, Wilson, Ramsey. Might be the best secondary in the NFL. Lawrence and Watt...........Might be the best DE tandem in the NFL.

conner01

Reaction score
New England has been good for several years so has Seattle and Pittsburgh so you don’t have to suck to get good

Imo
True
Not every teams path is the same
But this team needs a real injection of talent to get past good
We’ve been good many years over last decade or so too
But we need talent to get to more than good
Two of those teams have to me the best coaches in football in the Steelers and pats. Over the years they are always good
I have no clue if MM can win here and I don’t think this season tells us anything
But it does give us an opportunity to add more talent

starfan1

Reaction score
True
Not every teams path is the same
But this team needs a real injection of talent to get past good
We’ve been good many years over last decade or so too
But we need talent to get to more than good
Two of those teams have to me the best coaches in football in the Steelers and pats. Over the years they are always good
I have no clue if MM can win here and I don’t think this season tells us anything
But it does give us an opportunity to add more talent
Yep hoping Jerry and Steven don’t **** up. Getting a high pick is one thing

making good use of it is another

Verdict

Reaction score
What would they have looked like with Jaylon Ramsey instead of Zeke and TJ Watt instead of Taco? Just those two horrible draft decisions would have made a huge difference. What if they took the safety Rapp instead of Hill?

Diggs, Rapp, Wilson, Ramsey. Might be the best secondary in the NFL. Lawrence and Watt...........Might be the best DE tandem in the NFL.
What if a worm had a machine gun?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This is true, but the other problem is that this team and front office have no idea how to draft.

You pass on Watt and take Taco instead:facepalm:

You have the 4th overall pick and the choice is between a RB and CB and team goes with the RB:facepalm:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If you are always drafting in the bottom half of the draft, it’s bad news on draft day.

Tell that to Pittsburgh, Seattle, and and a few other well-run organizations.

If you're drafting in the top 10, without trading up to get there, you haven't been drafting well in the first place. Thinking one pick is going to fix everything is wishful.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The marketing and promotion of this team doesn't work with being bad, it is all about being just good enough. Ranking 11th or 13th is just that, good enough.

dckid

Reaction score

Imo
Having a franchise QB and fantastic coach goes a long way.