We haven’t been bad enough to be really good

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You don't have to hit rock bottom to field a talented team to compete for a Super Bowl. Steelers, Packers, and Patriots are all examples of that. Not many losing seasons over the last 2 decades there combined. Yet some how they never hit rock bottom to do it.
I agree with that is always the exception. But look how many first round draft picks the patriots I’ve had. By trading away players rather than pay them. This franchise is not willing to do that. So that’s like hitting rock-bottom. It’s all about draft picks to stay on top

blueblood70

Reaction score
Kahlil Mack as a member of the Raiders
2014: 3-13
2015: 7-9
2016: 12-4, 2nd AFC West - remember, QB Carr went down in game 16, then backup QB injured in game 17. Rookie QB started first ever NFL game in the home wildcard loss.
2017: 6-10
2018: just before that season started (Sept. 1st) Mack is traded to the Bears
who then went 12-4, 1st NFC North, lost home wildcard game.
2019: 8-8
2020: 5-6, started 5-1, have lost 5 straight since - we know what their problems are
Aaron Donald with the Rams
2014: 6-10
2015: 7-9
2016: 4-12 ...remember who was the head coach?
2017: 11-5, 1st NFC West, loss home wildcard
2018: 13-3, 1st NFC West, NFC Champions, Super Bowl Runner-up
2019: 9-7, 3rd NFC West
2020: 7-4, 2nd NFC West
No matter how great Mack and Donald are, their careers as perennial all-pro, top-ten status as the league's best players....they haven't transformed their teams into consistent NFL Championship contenders.
as no ONE player really could..the rams added ramsey as well,..so they have both pressure and coverage and are not running through the league like butter..always will be the biggest TEAM GAME in all of pro sports..far too many moving parts and coaching, takes a lot of pieces, coaching and some luck like with injuries' and play calls to make long consistent run..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
5 years ago they were 4-12. That has since lead to 2 playoff appearances with 1 playoff win.That high pick was wasted on a running back who is a huge cap space eater with horrible production. It doesn’t matter with Jerrah steering the ship.

The problem is we will spend the next decade trying to recapture 2016.

That’s what I can’t stand.

Verdict

Reaction score
Please go back and review the Landry years where we held and still hold the record for the most playoff appearances meaning our draft position was always bad not to mention that we played at least two extra games almost every year. And still did very well. Rookies were trained, taught and coached very well before Landry would even allow them to step on to the field. It's hard to believe that a team can be successful if they're constantly looking to the draft to acquire college players that are potentially better than their current starters. Coach Landry must be very disappointed. But then again this Jerry Jones guy.....
There weren’t 32 teams then.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
How long will it take for everyone to understand that picking a few spots higher isn't going to rescue the Cowboys? I wish it was that easy.

Hope is great, false hope is just a placebo. The disease will still be there.

kskboys

Reaction score
How long will it take for everyone to understand that picking a few spots higher isn't going to rescue the Cowboys? I wish it was that easy.

Rescue? No, but it could help. Yes, only if we change our ways, I'm well aware, but a studhoss D player would be a good start.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
What I hate is we have a top pick and this is the year nobody worth a Nickle is available. Minus one great quarterback. One O-Lineman and a lot of maybe's. Just our luck:facepalm:

Motorola

Reaction score
What I hate is we have a top pick and this is the year nobody worth a Nickle is available. Minus one great quarterback. One O-Lineman and a lot of maybe's. Just our luck:facepalm:
Next spring there will be 400 or so college players (250 drafted and 150 (my estimate) undrafted free agents) trying out for the 32 teams. I guarantee you, IceStarD54 -- there's going to be 2-3 dozen guys that will be ''worth a Nickle'' or more.....just like Lawrence and Sewell.

Verdict

Reaction score

I hate to break it to you, but the higher you pick, the better it is for you.

Ring Leader

Reaction score
The past four seasons we have had good rosters and every year should have been winning records with only two team in the division. I appreciate that a lot of people hate Tony Romo on here for whatever strange reason(s), I suppose if there's a reason to dislike him it's that he made several teams that should have been winning around 4 games a season actually competitive enough to win at least 8 games a season. As a result we didn't secure the real blue chip draft picks.

BINGO!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree with that is always the exception. But look how many first round draft picks the patriots I’ve had. By trading away players rather than pay them. This franchise is not willing to do that. So that’s like hitting rock-bottom. It’s all about draft picks to stay on top
Correct. Smart cap mgmt and smart personnel mgmt. That's our downfall. We suck at it. Passing up 2nd round picks for Mike Jenkins and Marty Weird was just beyond stupid, and then to pass up Antonio Cromartie in his prime for Tashard Choice? Jenkins was leaving after the season anyway, Marty had proven he wasn't going to pan out, and a backup RB for a starter? How in the world do you NOT do that?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see people here complaining that we never win anything and never advance in the post season. Some of those same people root for mediocrity and cherish every win in a horrible year. Fewer wins equal higher draft position.

I just looked up the regular season win totals from 2000 through 2018 and we had the 13th most wins during that time. Easily in the top half.

If you look at 2010-2018 we actually were even better at 11th overall in regular season wins. The problem, as I see it is that we are seldom terrible. Mediocrity leaves you with a middle of the round draft pick? Where most of the blue chip players are already gone.

What would this team have looked like with Aaron Donald? Khalil Mack? Etc.

Good point. I do think it is harder for a middle of the road team to become a top 5 team than it is for a bad team to become a top 5 team.