We haven’t been bad enough to be really good

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What if a worm had a machine gun?

The point is that the draft day decisions by Garrett and Marinelli and that regime doomed the defense to where it is today. Garrett is gone and already we have seen 1 great draft from the MM regime. Can they make it 2? That would go a long way toward helping them turn over the roster and give them the talent they need to coach.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yep hoping Jerry and Steven don’t **** up. Getting a high pick is one thing

making good use of it is another

At least we can be thankful that he doenst have Garrett and Marinelli telling him what they want in the draft. Appeard to make a difference last year.

kskboys

Reaction score
New England has been good for several years so has Seattle and Pittsburgh so you don’t have to suck to get good

You have to be smarter in the draft room and have good coaching
Imo
Yup.

Smart drafting is not just taking the player who is freefalling.

starfan1

Reaction score
Having a franchise QB and fantastic coach goes a long way.
we've got that already well maybe not fantastic but we can win with what we have. Having a complete team and a competent GM has been what's lacking

ondaedg

Reaction score
I see people here complaining that we never win anything and never advance in the post season. Some of those same people root for mediocrity and cherish every win in a horrible year. Fewer wins equal higher draft position.

I just looked up the regular season win totals from 2000 through 2018 and we had the 13th most wins during that time. Easily in the top half.

If you look at 2010-2018 we actually were even better at 11th overall in regular season wins. The problem, as I see it is that we are seldom terrible. Mediocrity leaves you with a middle of the round draft pick? Where most of the blue chip players are already gone.

What would this team have looked like with Aaron Donald? Khalil Mack? Etc.

Aaron Donald was the 13th pick. Just saying.

Motorola

Reaction score
I see people here complaining that we never win anything and never advance in the post season. Some of those same people root for mediocrity and cherish every win in a horrible year. Fewer wins equal higher draft position.

I just looked up the regular season win totals from 2000 through 2018 and we had the 13th most wins during that time. Easily in the top half.

If you look at 2010-2018 we actually were even better at 11th overall in regular season wins. The problem, as I see it is that we are seldom terrible. Mediocrity leaves you with a middle of the round draft pick? Where most of the blue chip players are already gone.

Kahlil Mack as a member of the Raiders
2014: 3-13
2015: 7-9
2016: 12-4, 2nd AFC West - remember, QB Carr went down in game 16, then backup QB injured in game 17. Rookie QB started first ever NFL game in the home wildcard loss.
2017: 6-10
2018: just before that season started (Sept. 1st) Mack is traded to the Bears
who then went 12-4, 1st NFC North, lost home wildcard game.
2019: 8-8
2020: 5-6, started 5-1, have lost 5 straight since - we know what their problems are
Aaron Donald with the Rams
2014: 6-10
2015: 7-9
2016: 4-12 ...remember who was the head coach?
2017: 11-5, 1st NFC West, loss home wildcard
2018: 13-3, 1st NFC West, NFC Champions, Super Bowl Runner-up
2019: 9-7, 3rd NFC West
2020: 7-4, 2nd NFC West
No matter how great Mack and Donald are, their careers as perennial all-pro, top-ten status as the league's best players....they haven't transformed their teams into consistent NFL Championship contenders.

conner01

Reaction score
Yep hoping Jerry and Steven don’t **** up. Getting a high pick is one thing

making good use of it is another
Contrary to common belief we actually have done a solid job in the draft compared to their teams

blueblood70

Reaction score

what did the raiders look lie with Mack? oh right they traded him..what would have the 11 teams that past on Donald look like if they took him but didnt..:)

what if game =fail

you are correct saying it for years anyone trying to throw shade on our team and calling us the browns and jets etc teams like them are crazy weve ben far from it ..fell short sure wish and hope for more yes but we are top half team and some years we were top 5..

starfan1

Reaction score
Contrary to common belief we actually have done a solid job in the draft compared to their teams
Last year looks solid but they’ve screwed the pooch plenty by picking the wrong people

that said they don’t get the benefit of Monday morning qb like we do

Techsass

Reaction score
Right. The regular season win thing between 2010-2018 is very overrated. They missed the playoffs 6 of those 9 seasons. We have been just good enough to not be awful.

Look at the Cowboys teams between 1966-82- a 17 season run that had them win a whopping 20 playoff games, and make the playoffs every single year except one. They played in 12 conference championship games over those 17 years and played in 5 SBs, winning 2. The 1991-96 Cowboys won 12 playoff games in 6 seasons, played in 4 straight NFC championships and won 3 SBs.

We all know what we’ve done the last 25 seasons. 3 playoff wins. There’s no way around it. The Cowboys just haven’t been close to competing when it counts.
Do those 3 playoff wins include Wade's bye week win?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I don't buy this argument, look at some of the best teams that have been good over the last 2 decades. None ever hit rock bottom. The teams that have hit rock bottom have generally been there a few times over the same span.

Cowboys1972

Reaction score

Please go back and review the Landry years where we held and still hold the record for the most playoff appearances meaning our draft position was always bad not to mention that we played at least two extra games almost every year. And still did very well. Rookies were trained, taught and coached very well before Landry would even allow them to step on to the field. It's hard to believe that a team can be successful if they're constantly looking to the draft to acquire college players that are potentially better than their current starters. Coach Landry must be very disappointed. But then again this Jerry Jones guy.....

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I’ve been preaching this for quite some time. Would you rather be good every season. Would you rather just suck so you could be great

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't buy this argument, look at some of the best teams that have been good over the last 2 decades. None ever hit rock bottom. The teams that have hit rock bottom have generally been there a few times over the same span.
Totally disagree. Look at how many teams go to the Super Bowl and don’t even make the playoffs the following season. Just as recent as San Francisco.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I truly believe now and I wasn’t always like this. Jerry is what destroying this franchise..

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Donald and Mack!!! Lol, we have Crawford and Jaylon!!

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Totally disagree. Look at how many teams go to the Super Bowl and don’t even make the playoffs the following season. Just as recent as San Francisco.

You don't have to hit rock bottom to field a talented team to compete for a Super Bowl. Steelers, Packers, and Patriots are all examples of that. Not many losing seasons over the last 2 decades there combined. Yet some how they never hit rock bottom to do it.

conner01

Reaction score
Last year looks solid but they’ve screwed the pooch plenty by picking the wrong people

that said they don’t get the benefit of Monday morning qb like we do
There are many different evaluations of drafts out there based on 10 year and 5 year drafts
Dallas is near the top on all of them

starfan1

Reaction score