We looking at 5 new starters on defense. Wish it could be 6

ESisback

Reaction score
Because of his contract, the Cowboys can not afford to just cut Jaylon. I'm hoping Dan Quinn can make him useful again.

I think Jaylon can only ever be about 80% of what he COULD have been because of his injury. To make matters worse, he was used wrong. I’m betting Quinn can make him a serviceable part of the rotation. I worry more about LVE, because he seems like “Sean Lee Junior”.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Jaylon is ok in his space when not asked to do too much. He has however be gifted more than he has payed back. That all i'm going to say about that.

Look I do not profess to be a coach, scout or any other person with NFL experience, but what I do know is that my eyes see a guy that cannot change directions quickly, and it’s really really bad! Watch him cover a runningback running a “stab”, “v” or “m” route out of the backfield and he fails absolutely every time. It is really pathetic to watch but what do I know, I’m the fry guy at McD’s.

Sydla

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-at-football-dak-prescott-telegraphing-passes

MeaslyLimpCrustacean-max-1mb.gif

tenor.gif

1_2020wk4_brownsovscowboys_oz21_ez1.gif

0472f-Jaylon2Bbad2Bcoverage2BGurley.gif

And despite that, he's probably still better than any LB the Eagles will trot out there in 2021.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
CB: Awuzie
FS: Woods
LB: Lee or Thomas
DL: A. Smith
DL: Crawford

I wish some one would step up and put Jaylon on the bench. Heck I wish the FO would grow a pair and cut him. Set a example.

-DT-Poe-either Urban or Bohanna
-DE-Crawford-Gregory
-DT-Hill-Gallimore or Odggy?
-LB-Aldon-Parsons
-CB-Brown-Joseph (Awuzie wasn't the starter last season)
-FS-Woods-Kazee

My count has 6 potential new defensive starters, that is a major overhaul in 1 off-season. Might take them some time to gel, with so many new players.

J-man

Reaction score
CB: Awuzie replaced with Joseph= eventual upgrade
FS: Woods replaced with ?? probably Kazee= wash, but maybe Mukuamu or Coyle can step up
LB: Lee/Thomas replaced with Parsons/Cox= major upgrades
DL: A. Smith replaced with Basham/Golston= a wash at the very least, but I see probable upgrade
DL: Crawford replaced with Urban/Odigi= upgrade

The run defense should be greatly improved, overall I'd think the defense as a whole will be much better.

Not sure how this thread about 5 new starters turned into a Jaylon Smith debate. Regardless of what they, you or I think about him, the $ dictates that he isn't going anywhere, this year. He and LVE, will both get a chance to adjust and improve or they will be gone after the season.
In the mean time, ya'll just need to let it go.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The whole concept of cutting a player like Smith to "send a message" is bizarre. Smith is a popular player with the team. Cutting him now sends zero message.

I agree it doesn't make a lot of sense to cut him now but don't understand this statement.

You cut underperformers. Cutting one that is under contract sends a strong message that no job is safe. Motivation brings out the best in players.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree it doesn't make a lot of sense to cut him now but don't understand this statement.

You cut underperformers. Cutting one that is under contract sends a strong message that no job is safe. Motivation brings out the best in players.

But to the team, he's not underperforming. And I suspect they've gotten input from Quinn on whether the thinks he can use him.

This whole concept of a player getting cut and sending a message to the rest of a NFL roster is overblown. After a few weeks, no one in that locker room will really worry that Smith is gone. They'll just show up for camp and go from there.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
But to the team, he's not underperforming. And I suspect they've gotten input from Quinn on whether the thinks he can use him.

This whole concept of a player getting cut and sending a message to the rest of a NFL roster is overblown. After a few weeks, no one in that locker room will really worry that Smith is gone. They'll just show up for camp and go from there.

If other players can't see how bad he is, then the situation is truly tragic. I think the fact we drafted two linebackers should tell all the players what Quinn thinks about the current players.

Guess we just see it differently on the impact it would have.

kumizi

Reaction score
This unconditional hatred of Jaylon is getting out of hand.

He has been misused by most of his DC's and the one he had the most success with and played like an all pro was a student of his new DC.

If he still looks lost in Dan Quinn's defense then he can be cut or benched next year.
people dislike him because he's a giant TOOL with zero self awareness

dude celebrates tackles 10 yards downfield with his team down 20

conner01

Reaction score
You overvalue the concept of message sending here for Smith. You think if the team cuts Smith, suddenly other players will be like, "Oh man, we gotta play harder!"

It will have zero effect on the culture, overall effort of the team, etc. The best course of action for the team is try to have Quinn get something out of Smith and LVE. Then figure out what to do with them in the 2022 offseason. Most likely, one or both will be gone in 2022 (gut says Smith will be gone, LVE signed to a cheap extension).
We couldn’t cut smith now anyway

conner01

Reaction score
He does try and participate in assists once the player has been tackled, so he does have some value, maybe the ball quirts free and he is in perfect position standing outside of the pile ready to pounce like a jaguar.
89 solo tackles
154 tackles
3rd in the nfl in solo tackles

DanA

Reaction score
Aldon Smith wasnt starting. Wasnt Gallimore starting at the end of the year?

I see 4 new starters as of right now. CB, FS, Linebacker are all upgrades. We will have to see who starts are DT.

How do you figure that Aldon Smith wasn’t starting? He played 73% of defensive snaps, the most out of the D-line by a fair margin

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
CB: Awuzie
FS: Woods
LB: Lee or Thomas
DL: A. Smith
DL: Crawford

I wish some one would step up and put Jaylon on the bench. Heck I wish the FO would grow a pair and cut him. Set a example.
Only two of these guys were starters lol, maybe 3 if you count Smith or Crawford.
This unconditional hatred of Jaylon is getting out of hand.

He has been misused by most of his DC's and the one he had the most success with and played like an all pro was a student of his new DC.

If he still looks lost in Dan Quinn's defense then he can be cut or benched next year.
He was awful in 2018 too.