We may have the two best CBs in the NFC

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
A lot of things to be pessimistic about but assuming Trevon Diggs can come back from the ACL injury, when is the last time we could make the claim that our team may have the two best cornerbacks in the NFC? 29 interceptions in 3 seasons between the two. And that’s with Diggs missing most of last season and Bland not playing yet in 2021. How insane is that?

If the team can finally stop the run this year and they still have as much pass rush pressure under Zimm as DQ, these two when healthy will threaten the record of 20 interceptions by Everson Walls and Dennis Thurman 40 years ago.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Bland is absolutely awesome. My favorite player on the team. He plays hard, he covers, he obviously catches the ball when he gets a chance, and he tackles. Plus he seems to be a nice, humble guy with a great story attitude and story.

It's always astounding to me when people want to move him inside or whatever. I suspect some can't get over that he was a 5th round pick, which is just silly.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I don't want to take away from how good this CB duo can be, but I would not get my hopes up for 20+ Ints with Zimmer calling the plays. Maybe he surprises me and adapts his system to fit these guys strengths, but he tends to prioritize playing the run first, often gets pressure in via the blitz, and leaves his CBs in press/man coverage often. That's not a bad thing by any means, but it typically doesn't lead to as many INTs.

I think we need to start preparing ourselves to evaluate these guys (and the D as a whole) at several positions differently than we did under DQ, or else we are going to be disappointed by the results. Fewer INTs, they'll probably give up a lot of shorter passes underneath and protect against the big play with more aggressive CB play on 3rd down and as teams get closer to the end zone.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I think this season we may see less INT's and better coverage, in terms of guys being disciplined. As good as they are, they give up yards as CORNERS DO!!!! I love however how they've become under the coaching of a guy like Al Harris

HungryLion

Reaction score
Zimmer is going to kill their Int numbers. He will have them playing the “let the WR catch it and then make the tackle” garbage.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't want to take away from how good this CB duo can be, but I would not get my hopes up for 20+ Ints with Zimmer calling the plays. Maybe he surprises me and adapts his system to fit these guys strengths, but he tends to prioritize playing the run first, often gets pressure in via the blitz, and leaves his CBs in press/man coverage often. That's not a bad thing by any means, but it typically doesn't lead to as many INTs.

I think we need to start preparing ourselves to evaluate these guys (and the D as a whole) at several positions differently than we did under DQ, or else we are going to be disappointed by the results. Fewer INTs, they'll probably give up a lot of shorter passes underneath and protect against the big play with more aggressive CB play on 3rd down and as teams get closer to the end zone.
His defenses when he was here before were bottom of the league for turnovers. Not sure if that followed him to Min or not.

quickccc

Reaction score
ACL recovery aside .. likely be Diggs & Bland.

May take a full year for Diggs to return to previous form .. don't be surprise if he struggles most of the year.

Bland under perform vs Seattle Metcalf, who was toasting Deron,..before Quinn adjusted and placed vet Gilmore vs Metcalf
to help stop the bleeding.. not unsigned & still a FA, we don't have the Gilmore luxury for either Diggs or Bland.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We l’ll have to see how long it takes Diggs to return to form if he ever does. Not all players return to form after an ACL. As for Bland, he still has some room for improvement. Right after he set the record for pick-sixes he got roasted. He takes a lot of chances and there’s parts of his game that need some refinement.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
A lot of things to be pessimistic about but assuming Trevon Diggs can come back from the ACL injury, when is the last time we could make the claim that our team may have the two best cornerbacks in the NFC? 29 interceptions in 3 seasons between the two. And that’s with Diggs missing most of last season and Bland not playing yet in 2021. How insane is that?

If the team can finally stop the run this year and they still have as much pass rush pressure under Zimm as DQ, these two when healthy will threaten the record of 20 interceptions by Everson Walls and Dennis Thurman 40 years ago.

I would say that Q left us with a heavily built secondary, and increased LB play could possibly complete what Q at least envisioned for the back seven.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
They are both play makers, and better than any CBs we've had since Prime Time. Better by a long shot.

INB4 useless statistics meant to prop up non-play makers who couldn't make a pick to save their lives, let alone pick sixes.

The ability to make plays is the most important quality in a skill position player.