We may have the two best CBs in the NFC

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Then you're most likely going to hate Mike Zimmers defense. These guys wont get nearly the opportunities to make plays on the ball.
Yep, the CB's may be the best CB's in a Defense that plays a heavy pass-rush creating ball-hawking opportunities.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
A lot of things to be pessimistic about but assuming Trevon Diggs can come back from the ACL injury, when is the last time we could make the claim that our team may have the two best cornerbacks in the NFC? 29 interceptions in 3 seasons between the two. And that’s with Diggs missing most of last season and Bland not playing yet in 2021. How insane is that?

If the team can finally stop the run this year and they still have as much pass rush pressure under Zimm as DQ, these two when healthy will threaten the record of 20 interceptions by Everson Walls and Dennis Thurman 40 years ago.

Two guys with the best recent seasons, probably not the best CBs.
Teams are not giving Bland 5 pick sizes again. Diggs is coming back from serious injury.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams are not giving Bland 5 pick sizes again. Diggs is coming back from serious injury.
Did teams give him the picks sixes. What were they thinking, hey what the heck throw it to Bland.

Bland earned those pick sixes. Will he do it again, very unlikely.

And did he not have 6, not 5?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Maybe that reason is, Zimmer never had CB's like he will have this season.
Just throwing it out there, as I can't recall who he had elsewhere.
It’s always possible and will be something to watch early on this season. I think it has more to do with his philosophy of stopping the run and limiting the big plays though which will have both the secondary and front seven playing different techniques. I’d LOVE to see zim bring a more aggressive approach given the type of players he’s working with.

Motorola

Reaction score
Did teams give him the picks sixes. What were they thinking, hey what the heck throw it to Bland.

Bland earned those pick sixes. Will he do it again, very unlikely.

And did he not have 6, not 5?
Looking ahead (yeah - way to early), even with the change in defense philosophy \ scheme, some Cowboys opponents still could provide opportunities for getting INTs.
Carr (NO) and Jackson ,(BAL) threw only 8 and 7 picks respectively last season; but week 1 and 4 starting QBs - Watson (CLE) and Jones (NYG) are qestionable on being ready at the beginning of the season.
And who knows who will be behind center in week 5, "Cooked" Wilson, or Fields when PIT comes down to AT&T?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
enjoy it while it lasts. This is most likely the end for Lewis and there is zero chance the cheapest team in football will give Bland another contract

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
They always lose some speed.
Not always now that they’ve refined knee injury surgeries over the year.

There is some conflicting evidence on the effects of ACL injuries on return to play among NFL players. Keller and colleagues 22 studied 98 NFL Combine participants who had previously undergone ACLR and found that there was no difference in top end speed, jumping performance, and agility testing.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
ACL recovery aside .. likely be Diggs & Bland.

May take a full year for Diggs to return to previous form .. don't be surprise if he struggles most of the year.

Bland under perform vs Seattle Metcalf, who was toasting Deron,..before Quinn adjusted and placed vet Gilmore vs Metcalf
to help stop the bleeding.. not unsigned & still a FA, we don't have the Gilmore luxury for either Diggs or Bland.
I will be surprised if he struggles most of the year.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think this season we may see less INT's and better coverage, in terms of guys being disciplined. As good as they are, they give up yards as CORNERS DO!!!! I love however how they've become under the coaching of a guy like Al Harris
That’s been a given since they signed Zimmer.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Bland gave up some huge plays as well as some blanket coverage.

A very nice 5th round pick for this team.
All CB’s get beat from time to time. But not all CB’s ball out like Bland. On a redraft, he’d be a 1st rounder for sure.

CWR

Reaction score
Nope. That's fan hoopla.
How many seasons to be a believer? Bland was good his rookie year as well. Diggs has established himself.

I don't know about best cbs in the NFC, but they are both pretty good.

kskboys

Reaction score
How many seasons to be a believer? Bland was good his rookie year as well. Diggs has established himself.

I don't know about best cbs in the NFC, but they are both pretty good.
Oh, absolutely, but this thread is specifically about being the best in the NFC.

Reactions: CWR

plasticman

Reaction score
Or the two most overrated.

Bland has to prove that last season was not a fluke. Diggs has to prove he's not damaged goods.

If they are up to the challenge, then we can start with the Renfro/Adderly, Thurman/Walls comparisons.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Not always now that they’ve refined knee injury surgeries over the year.

There is some conflicting evidence on the effects of ACL injuries on return to play among NFL players. Keller and colleagues 22 studied 98 NFL Combine participants who had previously undergone ACLR and found that there was no difference in top end speed, jumping performance, and agility testing.
Yeah it certainly is not the kiss of death that it used to be. Some players will rebound right away like nothing happened, some are fine physically but still have the mental hurdle to overcome, and some guys just are not the same. Hopefully we see Diggs in action sooner rather than later in camp to get a feel of what expectations should be.

The study you share is very interesting. I wonder if anything similar has been done on recent years with athletes from different age groups. I would assume the success rates from guys who have had the surgery at 18 vs 25 vs 30+ years old would all have different levels of success, but that may or may not be true.