We must stop doing the same things with the same players- expecting different results

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The good news is there’s still some good football out there and many teams going about it the right way. This years playoffs was one of the best ever. At least in this era.

We just can’t take our franchise very seriously anymore. We aren’t doing everything within our power to win. It’s amazing we are competitive at all. It’s actually a slam on the other teams less competitive who run their franchises the right way.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This off-season is a great time to completely re-assess how this team operates and puts together a roster. What discourages me the most is this fundamentally dumb way of doing things: Keeping the same core of star players year after year, expecting different results.

Coaches as well.

Who thinks Philbin overdelivered with what he had to work with?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This off-season is a great time to completely re-assess how this team operates and puts together a roster. What discourages me the most is this fundamentally dumb way of doing things: Keeping the same core of star players year after year, expecting different results.

We keep the same players year after year? How long SHOULD you keep players? I mean go back to our roster in 2017 and see what % of the roster is the same. at least 40% of the line is different. I just looked at the offensive starters and 5 of the 11 are different, including all the WRs.

9 of the 11 starters on defense are different... so enough of false information. Teams in the NFL turn over quickly.... EVERYWHERE.
The only STAR players that fit your category are players that were signed to long term contracts, and were deserving of said contracts.

As it stands, I would be surprised to see Cooper back. Zeke, we are stuck with for 1 more year, then I suspect he will be gone. Our soter of core players is not the problem as it stands. We had a good enough defense and offense to win this year... the QB just keeps coming up short.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So let 5 starters walk
What the plan to improve without both starting DE, starting WR and TE
just draft them. You should easily be able to replace Gregory and Lawrence......... bahahahahahhahahahaahahhahahaha
We had the best pass rush weve had in YEARS last year, and everyone is in such a hurry to get rid of those guys... this place is nuts.

conner01

Reaction score
just draft them. You should easily be able to replace Gregory and Lawrence......... bahahahahahhahahahaahahhahahaha
We had the best pass rush weve had in YEARS last year, and everyone is in such a hurry to get rid of those guys... this place is nuts.
Edge rushers are the second hardest players to get behind QB’s
I don’t get these people who think you can just go get new ones lol
Besides the fact they rarely hit the market in FA, they also cost huge money if they do. And drafting an impactful edge rusher is extremely hard and at 24 you aren’t very likely to hit one, let alone two
We likely can’t keep Dlaw and Gregory but I think we have to keep one of them

foofighters

Reaction score

What this organization needs more than “getting the band back together” is a new band!

Day after day, we see on our forum many of our fans saying we need to keep Cooper, DLaw, Zeke, Gregory, Schultz, etc, etc. And yesterday we heard Stephen Jones basically declare that this team just plans on running it back another year with the mostly the same cast, coaches, etc. Keeping all those guys has produced 1 playoff win in 7 years.

Doing the same things over and over and over and over and over….and somehow expecting different results is literally insane.

The fundamental problems with this front office:

• Believing they are just “unlucky” rather than unskilled.
  • Over-valuing their own talent.
  • Thinking they can find excellent free agents at “dumpster dive” prices.
  • Thinking the current “core” of players is critical to a SB run.
If all we want is an NFC East “title”, we are poised to “maybe” do that again.
Doing the same things over and over will keep you getting the same results.
Your preaching to the choir!!!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Edge rushers are the second hardest players to get behind QB’s
I don’t get these people who think you can just go get new ones lol
Besides the fact they rarely hit the market in FA, they also cost huge money if they do. And drafting an impactful edge rusher is extremely hard and at 24 you aren’t very likely to hit one, let alone two
We likely can’t keep Dlaw and Gregory but I think we have to keep one of them
we can keep both... trade cooper and his salary away to the Falcons for Ridley.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

What this organization needs more than “getting the band back together” is a new band!

Day after day, we see on our forum many of our fans saying we need to keep Cooper, DLaw, Zeke, Gregory, Schultz, etc, etc. And yesterday we heard Stephen Jones basically declare that this team just plans on running it back another year with the mostly the same cast, coaches, etc. Keeping all those guys has produced 1 playoff win in 7 years.

Doing the same things over and over and over and over and over….and somehow expecting different results is literally insane.

The definition of insanity.

Sort of.

conner01

Reaction score
we can keep both... trade cooper and his salary away to the Falcons for Ridley.
Trading cooper is ideal but probably not that easy
Trading for a guy who just talked about retiring is not ideal, not to mention his salary of 11 mil eats much of your savings
At this point I’d rather trade for a draft pick and have a young, cheap guy for 3-4 years
But even if we traded for Ridley that doesn’t clear enough money to sign Gregory and get under the cap
That trade gets you close to even
We are gonna have to restructure Dak to get money to fill spots and I don’t see much of a way around that

Flamma

Reaction score
lol... and how have they done since that magical run?

Trashy. But mainly due to drafting terribly. But in their transition from 2016 to 2017, they made moves to put them over the top. Dallas did absolutely nothing. Dallas going 13-3 didn't have any impact on how they approached the off season.

Back then the Cowboys website still had a message board. I went on a mini rant on how stupid their approach was. They'll do it again this year, but I'm used to it by now.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

The problem is the Jonesboys did not keep the same players for 7 years. They cast off all their defensive players after the 2016 season. They let walk key starters and potential starters like Hutchinson, Ward, Awuzie and even Claiborne got a ring or trip to the Super Bowl with other teams, When they got a trade right, they let DE Robert Quinn exit. Cooper was a 2018 1st round trade because Jerry said the Cowboys never had a no.1 WR forgetting why the no.88 was important for the Dallas Cowboys. Cooper is about to go get a Super Bowl with another team. Cooper is a core player see this team perform without him before the trade, after the trade, and his big season catching balls from Dinucci, Dalton, and Gilbert without Dak Prescott (they were one win from the playoffs without Dak Prescott before losing to the Giants in 2020).

The issue is you do not have core players and you do not keep core players. But you have Jerry the Country Club owner players. Core players were Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Chad Hutchinson, Ken Norton, Mark Stepnoski, Kevin Gogan, James Washington, Larry Cole, Bob Breunig, Mike Downs, Cornell Green, Marcus Spears, Chris Canty, Jason Hatcher, etc.

What you are describing are STAR players like Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett, Roger Staubach, Micheal Irvin, Dak, and Zeke. They can not win without CORE players around their STAR players.

Jerry Dumbo GM Jones will not keep his core players. Because its all about the Country Club membership in the Arlington Jonesboys. It is not about the Dallas Cowboys.