We need a few moves to be a truly dominant D!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Sam Williams makes a 2nd year jump. He has the potential to be really good if not dominant! Does he want to be great? He has ALL the physical tools!
Actually, MM has already said Sam is one play he expects to make a huge leap this season. In fact, I think the other DE starting job is probably his to lose. You better believe MM is also speaking for Quinn.

conner01

Reaction score
Actually, MM has already said Sam is one play he expects to make a huge leap this season. In fact, I think the other DE starting job is probably his to lose. You better believe MM is also speaking for Quinn.
He played better than stats show last year
He impacted a lot of plays that he didn’t get a stat for. His 22 pressures on 273 snaps is pretty impressive

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Don’t forget about clark
I think he’s one reason they haven’t jumped on Wagner, and the money
Clark has potential, but he has been overhyped in my opinion. He will need to step up big time, if he wants to be anywhere near the player Wagner is.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
He played better than stats show last year
He impacted a lot of plays that he didn’t get a stat for. His 22 pressures on 273 snaps is pretty impressive
Why didn’t he play more snaps? Some games he barely played.

conner01

Reaction score
Why didn’t he play more snaps? Some games he barely played.
Armstrong was playing good
He also probably was a bit less knowledgeable of his assignments
It’s not uncommon for rookies to play limited snaps their first year. But he definitely needs more this year even if it means sliding one of them to other side and Dlaw inside

conner01

Reaction score
Clark has potential, but he has been overhyped in my opinion. He will need to step up big time, if he wants to be anywhere near the player Wagner is.
He’s never likely to be the player Wagner is. Wagner may very well get into the HOF
But he’s a very talented player with good instincts and plays fast. He likely would have went higher had it not been for the injury. Many had a first round grade on him

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
He’s never likely to be the player Wagner is. Wagner may very well get into the HOF
But he’s a very talented player with good instincts and plays fast. He likely would have went higher had it not been for the injury. Many had a first round grade on him
I like Clark’s potential but it’s still just potential. We need him to take a big step this year.
If Wagner would be willing to give us a small discount, Clark steps up, and LVE stays healthy, and plays at least as well as last year, our LBers would be SOLID if not dominant.

We would be Hankins and one more solid DT away from a SPECIAL D!!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Armstrong was playing good
He also probably was a bit less knowledgeable of his assignments
It’s not uncommon for rookies to play limited snaps their first year. But he definitely needs more this year even if it means sliding one of them to other side and Dlaw inside
Hopefully Williams continues to improve. He has the physical tools to be a top DE. He definitely flashed last year. We need more this year!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol at saying Micah adding 15-20 pounds like it’s nothing. Not only is that a very difficult thing to do, but Micah’s dominance is largely due to his speed and flexibility. His strength is also just fine…

Yes, Micah adding 20 pound is a terrible idea.

Most people won't like it, but Parsons played more snaps a LB than DE in 2021 and had 13 sacks. He played the vast majority of 2022 snaps at DE and had 13.5 sacks.

Playing him more at LB like they did in 2021 resolves the "getting worn down" issue.

conner01

Reaction score
Hopefully Williams continues to improve. He has the physical tools to be a top DE. He definitely flashed last year. We need more this year!
I think his snaps should be double this year which should increase his production
He pressured the QB at a high rate last year but didn’t get home. But even pressures force bad pssses, or throw aways. I think he’s gonna be a very impactful player. Arnstrong has really developed too. The problem is they both play the same side. One of them needs to slide over and take some Fowler snaps

conner01

Reaction score
I like Clark’s potential but it’s still just potential. We need him to take a big step this year.
If Wagner would be willing to give us a small discount, Clark steps up, and LVE stays healthy, and plays at least as well as last year, our LBers would be SOLID if not dominant.

We would be Hankins and one more solid DT away from a SPECIAL D!!!
A stud DT makes the edge guys even better. They are so hard to draft and expensuve to buy
Robinson is a good run stopper but not much of a sack threat and he made 8 mil
Payne got paid like a double digit sack guy and I’m not convinced he is. He’s really good but probably more of a 6-8 sack guy like he’s was the first 3 years. Those guys cost 20 mil a year
There is certainly an advantage is having about every 3rd or 4th year being really bad, you get elite cheap talent lol

LovinItAll

Reaction score
We have work to do to become THE DOMINANT Defense in the NFL, but it is definitely doable( what I mean by dominant is less than 14 points a game).

We need to pursued Wagner to come to Dallas. Micah should be recruiting right now!

We need to resign Hankins and sign another big run stuffing DT. Resign Watkins as a rotation player( good player who is under rated). Possibly draft the quick smallish DT from Pitt( pass rush ).

Hopefully, Sam Williams makes a 2nd year jump. He has the potential to be really good if not dominant! Does he want to be great? He has ALL the physical tools!

Have Micah add 15-20 lbs and attack the QB from all over the LOS.

This D is already set at CB and Safety!!

With these moves/improvements we still have draft capital to improve the OL and possibly grab Hopkins in FA!

Run Ist offense with Dak driving the bus!
That’s all great, and having the most dominant defense in the NFL would be something, but we’re in a good spot with our personnel and coaches on the defensive side of the ball right now.

Shoring up our o-line, getting at least one WR who can actually separate, and figuring out who’s going to be effective in the backfield with Pollard have to be top priorities. Our TE position isn’t locked in, either. We don’t have Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, etc., but I think Prescott can take us where we’ need to go if we give him the supporting cast. He doesn’t have it right now, but we could open the season tomorrow with our current D.

CWR

Reaction score
Lol at saying Micah adding 15-20 pounds like it’s nothing. Not only is that a very difficult thing to do, but Micah’s dominance is largely due to his speed and flexibility. His strength is also just fine…

I think he will end up putting on somewhere in between that range with NFL strength and conditioning, and just becoming a full grown man. It'll be up to the staff to monitor his speed and flexibility in case he needs to cut back. I'd guess he could probably add 10lbs of muscle without slowing, but you never know.

As often as we line him up at end it would probably be helpful to build up that suit of armor a bit.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just give me pressure f4om the DTs and I'll give you a winner