We Need Both Our First Round Picks!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
elcocinero;1903175 said:
How about a first rounder and Roy Williams (SS) and Jacques Reeves, for Roy Williams (WR).

:laugh2:
Why are you so willing to throw away a 1st rounder?

I repeat, they are looking for Defense, not draft picks. Someone like a Bradie James possibly. (No, I'm not saying trade them Bradie.)

Reeves is a Free Agent, so why trade him.

I won't comment on the continuous trade Roy ideas.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theogt;1903180 said:
Works for me. But I'd rather cut Anderson, than Hoyte. Hoyte was a beast in the first half and probably the single biggest reason (other than Barber himself) that Barber had 100+ yards.
Anderson is a much better special teams guy and receiver than Hoyte though.

Schmitt is a devestating blocker, good receiver, and can even play TE.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
I also think we need to keep the picks because yesterday's game exposed a number of our weak spots, but I fear that Jerry will be so blinded by his DMac love that he will give away the farm to get him.

I so HOPE I'm wrong, but I fear that he thinks we're only "one or two guys away" from a championship —*the same mentality that helped him give away 2 first round picks for Joey Galloway.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Hostile;1903188 said:
Why are you so willing to throw away a 1st rounder?

I repeat, they are looking for Defense, not draft picks. Someone like a Bradie James possibly. (No, I'm not saying trade them Bradie.)

Reeves is a Free Agent, so why trade him.

I won't comment on the continuous trade Roy ideas.

A defensive player(s) for Roy Williams? Anyone but Ware and Newman.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;1903122 said:
Newman was not thrown at because (1) he is a pro-bwl corner, and (2) two of the other three guys in the secondary - Williams and Reeves - are that bad

Here's what we allowed --

Newman 0-for-0
Henry 4-for-4, 81 yards, one TD
Reeves 5-for-7, 67 yards
Hamlin 1-for-1, 4 yards, TD
Roy 1-for-3, 6 yards

screen pass 1-for-1, 5 yards
batted down 0-for-1
miscommunication 0-for-1

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
One correction I should make. Our pick is #30 if New England is in the Super Bowl. If by some miracle San Diego beats them #30 would be theirs and #29 would be ours.

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;1903122 said:
Newman was not thrown at because (1) he is a pro-bwl corner, and (2) two of the other three guys in the secondary - Williams and Reeves - are that bad, and becaue they are that bad, Hanlin, another pro-bowler, can be easily nullified.

Where is Henry in your secondary? You know, the guy who whiffed on the tackle that gave Toomer his first TD?

We need more than one new face in the secondary. We also don't need a #1 WR as desperately as most people think. What we need more is a certified butt kicking NT. It is the most important position in a 3-4 scheme. I say we bundle both picks & grab Sedrick Ellis, NT, USC. He has been the DPOY in the Pac 10 the last two years! The dude just stuffs the middle of the line. He also puts heat up the middle on passing downs. I think he will end up being a better pro DT than Glenn Dorsey.

We then grab a CB like Terrell Thomas, USC with the #60 pick.

I know it's a lot to give up, but Ellis is worth it. I've seen him dominate a game from his position. The CB & RB class is very deep & you can get a good one down the draft, but a great NT must be taken in the top of the draft. Ferguson is getting older & injury prone, and Jay Ratliff is more of a DE. Our offense broke all kinds of records & has most of the talent on the team. It's time to get more on the defensive side of the ball.

arync

Reaction score
definately CB/WR in any order but those have to be the first 2 picks. Reeves needs to be cut next year and we need a burner opposite TO cause Crayton, Hurd, Austin, Isiah, aren't going to do it. They are decent but not game changers and we need playmakers

Carl23

Reaction score
Assuming that we find or trade for a #2 WR, I wouldn't mind taking a left tackle and a nose tackle. I've always believed that O/D lines win games...

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
Trading for DET Roy Williams would be a mistake IMO.. This is going to be a big draft. We aren't that far away from being a truely GREAT team.

:star:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Hostile;1903208 said:
One correction I should make. Our pick is #30 if New England is in the Super Bowl. If by some miracle San Diego beats them #30 would be theirs and #29 would be ours.

I'm pretty sure that's not correct. We have the 29th pick right now. If San Diego and the Giants play in the Super Bowl, we would pick 27th. If only one of them makes it, we pick 28th.

Indianapolis' original pick (which belongs to San Francisco) comes after ours because we had a weaker strength of schedule. And Green Bay's pick comes after both our pick and Indianapolis' original pick because they went deeper in the playoffs. New England would pick after us, too, if they didn't have it taken away.

Code:
22	Dallas (from Cleve.) 	10-6 	.425
23	Pittsburgh 		10-6	.453
24	Tennessee 		10-6	.500
25	Seattle 		10-6	.414
26*	New York Giants 	10-6	.516
27 	Jacksonville 		11-5	.516
28* 	San Diego 		11-5	.500
29	Dallas			13-3	.496
30	San Fran. (from Ind.) 	13-3	.516
31*	Green Bay 		13-3	.469
32*	New England (forfeited)	16-0	.469

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
elcocinero;1903149 said:
I disagree with this sentiment when it comes to a 26 year old top tier receiver like Roy Williams. Nobody at the bottom of the first round will give us his skill set.

I agree --a 26 year old that has made it as a pro WR is better the taking a chance on a 20 something pick and hoping they can make the jump to the pro level. Plus Williams or Friz would be at pro level next year

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1903253 said:
I'm pretty sure that's not correct. We have the 29th pick right now. If San Diego and the Giants play in the Super Bowl, we would pick 27th. If only one of them makes it, we pick 28th.

Indianapolis' original pick (which belongs to San Francisco) comes after ours because we had a weaker strength of schedule. And Green Bay's pick comes after both our pick and Indianapolis' original pick because they went deeper in the playoffs. New England would pick after us, too, if they didn't have it taken away.

Code:
22    Dallas (from Cleve.)     10-6     .425
23    Pittsburgh         10-6    .453
24    Tennessee         10-6    .500
25    Seattle         10-6    .414
26*    New York Giants     10-6    .516
27     Jacksonville         11-5    .516
28*     San Diego         11-5    .500
29    Dallas            13-3    .496
30    San Fran. (from Ind.)     13-3    .516
31*    Green Bay         13-3    .469
32*    New England (forfeited)    16-0    .469
I'll double check my numbers Adam, but I think the %'s are wrong on Indy and us.

If my numbers are wrong, I apologize for the false info. It is entirely possible I am wrong. I won't say for sure until I double check.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hostile;1903267 said:
I'll double check my numbers Adam, but I think the %'s are wrong on Indy and us.

If my numbers are wrong, I apologize for the false info. It is entirely possible I am wrong. I won't say for sure until I double check.
Adam is correct. I was missing a game for Indy.

Dallas' opponents had 127 wins over 256 games.

Indy's opponents had 132 wins over 256 games.

Therefore Dallas has the 29 pick, not the 30th.

Thanks Adam.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;1903192 said:
Anderson is a much better special teams guy and receiver than Hoyte though.

Schmitt is a devestating blocker, good receiver, and can even play TE.

He is also a spark plug kind of player like Marion. I think our team needs more players like that. Players that are die hard guys who can provide a spark.

Reaction score
Newman shut down his side of the field but they attacked the Reeves and Henry which is no surprise there...:rolleyes:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1903337 said:
He is also a spark plug kind of player like Marion. I think our team needs more players like that. Players that are die hard guys who can provide a spark.
I agree. I have no loyalty to any player. If we can get better, do it.

Schmitt is a better FB than anyone on this team.

Reaction score
Justin King or Kenny Phillips is what this teams needs.. I know its more D, but Roy is not a Safety anymore and Henry and Newman are not spring chickens. Reeves might be a decent dime back and Nate Jones shouldnt be on the team. Ball making the team is a pipe dream. You need talent there not 7th round picks...