We Need Both Our First Round Picks!

khiladi

Reaction score
I still say go for McFadden, because it will force the OC to use McFadden in the short passing game, including screens and slants. Otherwise, we are going to continue to allow defenses to simply play back for the vertical passing game.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Agree. Rather than giving up picks, we should be accumulating them. I'd move Carpenter and Fasano among several other players for first day (okay, 3rd round and up now) picks if I could.

It's a parity-driven league and the only way to get ahead is to be smarter than the next guy in personnel acquisition. But those first round picks, even if they aren't at the top of the round, can be very good players if we use them properly.

Jaxonsdaddd

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1903253 said:
I'm pretty sure that's not correct. We have the 29th pick right now. If San Diego and the Giants play in the Super Bowl, we would pick 27th. If only one of them makes it, we pick 28th.

Indianapolis' original pick (which belongs to San Francisco) comes after ours because we had a weaker strength of schedule. And Green Bay's pick comes after both our pick and Indianapolis' original pick because they went deeper in the playoffs. New England would pick after us, too, if they didn't have it taken away.

Code:
22    Dallas (from Cleve.)     10-6     .425
23    Pittsburgh         10-6    .453
24    Tennessee         10-6    .500
25    Seattle         10-6    .414
26*    New York Giants     10-6    .516
27     Jacksonville         11-5    .516
28*     San Diego         11-5    .500
29    Dallas            13-3    .496
30    San Fran. (from Ind.)     13-3    .516
31*    Green Bay         13-3    .469
32*    New England (forfeited)    16-0    .469

Well, I guess I am officially rooting for the Chargers and Giants now. WOuld have been pulling for the Chargers anyway but now I need to root for the Giants:bang2:

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Guys, guys, like you i was spitting nails yesterday evening, but I see this;

First, Adam can you give us how much money we will have for this year in 2008 to spend, I think i read its about 16 million. My question first Adam, after signing Barber, Canty, Hamlin, those are musts;

Would we have enough money to go get Fitzgerald or trade for Roy Williams with Detroit?

Next, we need to keep our 2 # 1 picks, we dont need to jump on McFadden it would cost too much. There are about 5-6 top running backs, and we do need to draft one in 1st round, you need a quick fast elusive running back to compliment Barber.
Running backs; McFadden, Slaton, Rice, Kevin Smith, Felix jones, and Charles from Texas, thats 6 top running backs in 1st round, you should be able to get one at 22nd pick, next I would go after a cornerback, like Justin King or others, I think there are about 4-5 top corners this year, we may have to trade up to grab a top corner, either use one of our 2nd or 3rd rounders to move up, then I would grab Schmidt the big fullback and I think your going to have to get him in the 2nd round, he will be gone before we pick in 3rd round.
Next, if you watched gameday with Nate Newton and Rocket, Rocket saiid something very important, this team needs a juice player as punt returner nad kickoff returner, i would get one of those guys with a 3rd rounder,

Now how would i get those players with only 4 picks in top 3 rounds, I would do this, unless Bobby Carpenter shows something in offseason by coming in and working out, getting bigger, faster, stronger-he needs more strength, then possibly I would trade Carpenter to Miami for their 2nd or 3 rd rounder.

Next, Jerry Jones has a decision =to make on Flozell Adams, and Julius Jones is gone too, if we dont sign any players till after the draft, I am not sure about compensation, but if we dont sign any big name players till after draft, maybe we can get 2 number 3 picks as compensation for Flozell Adams and Julius Jones, since both players were # 2 picks in the draft. That would allow you to trade your 3rd rounder to move up in 3rd round or so to get a really good player that is falling, or use that 3rd rounder to move up in 1st round to get a good player.

# 1 pick at 22 Felix Jones, Slaton or Rice or Smith, whichever is better
# 1 pick at 29, possibly trade up to get King or Talib,or Phllips at CB
# 2 pick, a good wr punt and kickoff returner, you may even see the cowboys trade their future 2009 to move up and get a player impact wr like deshawn jackson, but he is injury prone,
# 3 pick trade up in 3rd round to get Schmidt the big fullback
# 4 linebacker to replace Carpenter if you trade him

possible trades or pickup free agents
fitzgerald, we may have a chance at him, but i am sure arizona will frangize him, r

roy williams wr, from detroit, trade bobby carpenter or akin, possibly jason fergueson or tank johnson, maybe a future draft pick, we need another good wr to go with T O, they are saying that Terry Glenn is needing surgery again, so he is gone for this year, and possibly retire, so its a must we get a impact wr to go with T O, since T O will be 34 next year

weak link on offensive line, i am still scared that jerry jones wont resign flozell and i am scared of playing Doug Free or McQuistan there, at LOT, but to me, the weakest link is at LOG, Kosier, if we can get a young good OG in free agency, i would go after him, Kosiier has killed us in key plays this year

Cowboys needs,
speedy cutting rb
cornerback
wr impact
kickoff and punt returner
fullback, since Hoyte has a neck injury and will require surgery, I have read that you dont come back from that kind of surgery and be same blocking back Hoyte was, anderson can help though

Jin Rummy

Reaction score
Runningback? Why does everyone keep mentioning runningbacks. I think it's obvious cornerbacks and widereceivers should be at the top of the agenda.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Jin Rummy;1903547 said:
Runningback? Why does everyone keep mentioning runningbacks. I think it's obvious cornerbacks and widereceivers should be at the top of the agenda.

I agree. If you take the four parts of offense and defense and rank their importance, it's 1) pass offense; 2) pass defense; 3) run offense; 4) run defense.

That doesn't mean we HAVE to draft a wide receiver and a cornerback in the first round (if we don't get them in free agency), because the value might not be there in the draft. But those are more important positions than a part-time running back to share carries with Barber.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Jin Rummy;1903547 said:

Both are needs, but where we are slotted in the first round right now, the value is at RB's and CB's. Outside of Desean Jackson, James Hardy and perhaps Early Doucet, there are no other top-flight WR's that could go in the first (Limas Sweed maybe, depends on workouts).

Strike where the value is in the first round, pick up a speed back to compliment Barber and hope that Jenkins, Cason or McKelvin are there as well. That would be a very good first round.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1903570 said:
I agree. If you take the four parts of offense and defense and rank their importance, it's 1) pass offense; 2) pass defense; 3) run offense; 4) run defense.

That doesn't mean we HAVE to draft a wide receiver and a cornerback in the first round (if we don't get them in free agency), because the value might not be there in the draft. But those are more important positions than a part-time running back to share carries with Barber.

Some might disagree but I'd consider drafting a guard or a LB in the 1st round if they automatically improve the quality of play at the position. I don't care about CB or WR as much as I care about players ready to start at some point their first year.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Jin Rummy;1903547 said:

Because Barber not going to hold up with is Running Style, JJ is a FA and all we have is Tyson Thompson and Alonzo Coleman.

BigDave95

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1903253 said:
I'm pretty sure that's not correct. We have the 29th pick right now. If San Diego and the Giants play in the Super Bowl, we would pick 27th. If only one of them makes it, we pick 28th.

Indianapolis' original pick (which belongs to San Francisco) comes after ours because we had a weaker strength of schedule. And Green Bay's pick comes after both our pick and Indianapolis' original pick because they went deeper in the playoffs. New England would pick after us, too, if they didn't have it taken away.

Code:
22    Dallas (from Cleve.)     10-6     .425
23    Pittsburgh         10-6    .453
24    Tennessee         10-6    .500
25    Seattle         10-6    .414
26*    New York Giants     10-6    .516
27     Jacksonville         11-5    .516
28*     San Diego         11-5    .500
29    Dallas            13-3    .496
30    San Fran. (from Ind.)     13-3    .516
31*    Green Bay         13-3    .469
32*    New England (forfeited)    16-0    .469

We don't have a shot at the #27 pick. Both Green Bay and NY would pick ahead of us unless they advance to the Super Bowl so we pick #29 if New England wins or #28 if San Diego wins. The NFC game can't afect our pick.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Jin Rummy;1903547 said:
I agree with you. I could be fine with an O-lineman in the first, but I think we can get a RB in the 4th who can compliment Barber just fine.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1903570 said:

Exactly. Every year journeyman type free agent RBs do very well in part-time roles. And I'd put even less of a premium on the Rb with today's empahsis on passing (as much as I hate that development).

It's funny that some people think corners are second-class citizens, but the truth is that they're only going to get more important as NFL teams throw it even more. You just have to have great athletes who can stay with these WRs without touching them. I'd draft these guys in the late rounds and try to groom them almost like GB used to do with QBs, besides taking one high when it's warranted.

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;1903511 said:
Guys, guys, like you i was spitting nails yesterday evening, but I see this;

First, Adam can you give us how much money we will have for this year in 2008 to spend, I think i read its about 16 million. My question first Adam, after signing Barber, Canty, Hamlin, those are musts;

Would we have enough money to go get Fitzgerald or trade for Roy Williams with Detroit?

Next, we need to keep our 2 # 1 picks, we dont need to jump on McFadden it would cost too much. There are about 5-6 top running backs, and we do need to draft one in 1st round, you need a quick fast elusive running back to compliment Barber.
Running backs; McFadden, Slaton, Rice, Kevin Smith, Felix jones, and Charles from Texas, thats 6 top running backs in 1st round, you should be able to get one at 22nd pick, next I would go after a cornerback, like Justin King or others, I think there are about 4-5 top corners this year, we may have to trade up to grab a top corner, either use one of our 2nd or 3rd rounders to move up, then I would grab Schmidt the big fullback and I think your going to have to get him in the 2nd round, he will be gone before we pick in 3rd round.
Next, if you watched gameday with Nate Newton and Rocket, Rocket saiid something very important, this team needs a juice player as punt returner nad kickoff returner, i would get one of those guys with a 3rd rounder,

Now how would i get those players with only 4 picks in top 3 rounds, I would do this, unless Bobby Carpenter shows something in offseason by coming in and working out, getting bigger, faster, stronger-he needs more strength, then possibly I would trade Carpenter to Miami for their 2nd or 3 rd rounder.

Next, Jerry Jones has a decision =to make on Flozell Adams, and Julius Jones is gone too, if we dont sign any players till after the draft, I am not sure about compensation, but if we dont sign any big name players till after draft, maybe we can get 2 number 3 picks as compensation for Flozell Adams and Julius Jones, since both players were # 2 picks in the draft. That would allow you to trade your 3rd rounder to move up in 3rd round or so to get a really good player that is falling, or use that 3rd rounder to move up in 1st round to get a good player.

# 1 pick at 22 Felix Jones, Slaton or Rice or Smith, whichever is better
# 1 pick at 29, possibly trade up to get King or Talib,or Phllips at CB
# 2 pick, a good wr punt and kickoff returner, you may even see the cowboys trade their future 2009 to move up and get a player impact wr like deshawn jackson, but he is injury prone,
# 3 pick trade up in 3rd round to get Schmidt the big fullback
# 4 linebacker to replace Carpenter if you trade him

possible trades or pickup free agents
fitzgerald, we may have a chance at him, but i am sure arizona will frangize him, r

roy williams wr, from detroit, trade bobby carpenter or akin, possibly jason fergueson or tank johnson, maybe a future draft pick, we need another good wr to go with T O, they are saying that Terry Glenn is needing surgery again, so he is gone for this year, and possibly retire, so its a must we get a impact wr to go with T O, since T O will be 34 next year

weak link on offensive line, i am still scared that jerry jones wont resign flozell and i am scared of playing Doug Free or McQuistan there, at LOT, but to me, the weakest link is at LOG, Kosier, if we can get a young good OG in free agency, i would go after him, Kosiier has killed us in key plays this year

Cowboys needs,
speedy cutting rb
cornerback
wr impact
kickoff and punt returner
fullback, since Hoyte has a neck injury and will require surgery, I have read that you dont come back from that kind of surgery and be same blocking back Hoyte was, anderson can help though

Good analysis... Phillips can play SS or Free. Hits like a truck, and has range. Not as good as Taylor coming out of Miami but is close.

fortdick

Reaction score
Hotcarl23;1903239 said:
Assuming that we find or trade for a #2 WR, I wouldn't mind taking a left tackle and a nose tackle. I've always believed that O/D lines win games...

We have more NT's than we can use right now. Fergie, Ratliff and Johnson are all viable.

LT is a need for the future, but don't know if it is an immediate need. was Flo hurt in the second half? It looked like it. Marten, Free and McQ are all possible replacements for Flo.

Our needs showed up big in the Giants game. SS, CB and WR.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
Turner is a very good back but he will cost a lot of ca$h. It is the deepest RB class in YEARS it would be smarter to draft a back IMO.

:star:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
utrunner07;1903864 said:
I think we need 3 or 4 first round picks actually.

If we can convince another team to sign Barber and/or Canty, we'll have three or four.