We Need Both Our First Round Picks!

Jin Rummy

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1903875 said:
If we can convince another team to sign Barber and/or Canty, we'll have three or four.
Trade Barber III? Did I read that right, or is there another Barber on the team I don't know about?

mmohican29

Reaction score
we need to draft the absolute best FS in the draft with the 1st pick and move Hamlin to SS. We then need to draft the best available CB with the second pick. Sign a WR of quality with complimentary speed for Owens and only bring back TG as a last resort.

A receiving core of T.O., Roy W and PC would be devastating especially with an emerged depth player or rookie standout.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Jin Rummy;1903967 said:
Trade Barber III? Did I read that right, or is there another Barber on the team I don't know about?

If you read "trade," then you didn't read it right.

If you read "sign," then you did. He's an RFA and will get tendered at either the first-round level or the first-and-third-round level. I'd take either one.

utrunner07

Reaction score
Jin Rummy;1903967 said:

Hey if I could trade Barber and Canty for two first round picks I would do it in a second! Four First round picks! Sure Not going to happen though!

Jin Rummy

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1904560 said:
If you read "trade," then you didn't read it right.

If you read "sign," then you did. He's an RFA and will get tendered at either the first-round level or the first-and-third-round level. I'd take either one.
Well, you said if you could convince "another" team to sign Barber. I wasn't thinking on the restricted free agency level. My mistake.

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score
btcutter;1903142 said:
It's true that you built your team via draft. However, do not overvalue your draft picks. History tell us that 1st rounders more often than not are busts. If Detroit will take our 1st pick for Roy William, I'll do it. At pick 28-30, you'll be hard press to find a NFL PROVEN WR.

Remember NE gave up a 2nd and 7th for Welker.

I'd love to see this high-powered, statistical analysis that's proven "1st rounders are more often than not busts". Still, I'd trade our #30 pick for Roy Williams in a heartbeat.

calicoastfan

Reaction score
I agree reeves needs to go! nowadays you need three solid corners. do we miss the old vet aaron?

btcutter

Reaction score
Shotgun Dave;1905283 said:
I'd love to see this high-powered, statistical analysis that's proven "1st rounders are more often than not busts". Still, I'd trade our #30 pick for Roy Williams in a heartbeat.

1. Houston David Carr QB Fresno State
2. Carolina Julius Peppers DE North Carolina
3. Detroit Joey Harrington QB Oregon
4. Buffalo Mike Williams OT Texas
5. San Diego Quentin Jammer CB Texas
6. Kansas City (from Dallas) Ryan Sims DT North Carolina
7. Minnesota Bryant McKinnie OT Miami (Fla)
8. Dallas (from Kansas City) Roy Williams SS Oklahoma
9. Jacksonville John Henderson DT Tennessee
10. Cincinnati Levi Jones OT Arizona State
11. Indianapolis Dwight Freeney DE Syracuse
12. Arizona Wendell Bryant DT Wisconsin
13. New Orleans Donte Stallworth WR Tennessee
14. NY Giants (from Tennessee) Jeremy Shockey TE Miami (Fla)
15. Tennessee (from NY Giants) Albert Haynesworth DT Tennessee
16. Cleveland William Green RB Boston College
17. Oakland (from Atlanta) Phillip Buchanon CB Miami (Fla)
18. Atlanta (from Washington through Oakland) T.J. Duckett RB Michigan State
19. Denver Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
20. Green Bay (from Seattle) Javon Walker WR Florida State
21. New England (from Tampa Bay through Oakland and Washington) Daniel Graham TE Colorado
22. NY Jets Bryan Thomas DE Alabama-Birmingham
23. Oakland Napolean Harris OLB Northwestern
24. Baltimore Edward Reed S Miami (FLA)
25. New Orleans (from Miami) Charles Grant DE Georgia
26. Philadelphia Lito Sheppard CB Florida
27. San Francisco Mike Rumph CB Miami (Fla)
28. Seattle (from Green Bay) Jerramy Stevens TE Washington
29. Chicago Marc Colombo OT Boston College
30. Pittsburgh Kendall Simmons OG Auburn
31. St. Louis Robert Thomas MLB UCLA
32. Washington (from New England) Patrick Ramsey QB Tulane

I randomly picked a yr. At least 5 yrs ago just to make sure I gave the players a chance. You can look at each yr and the results will vary about a few players because of the depth of the draft. But 30% chance your guy in the 1st will be the player you HOPE you got. Rest are decent, some roster fillers and some out of football completely.

Pepper
Henderson
Freeney
Shockey
Haynesworth
Walker
Reed
Shepard

8/32 worth their 1st round grades. Few decent players and quite a few no longer in the league.

I think I trade my 29 pick for Roy William WR.

sbark

Reaction score
Jerry's MO will be to take care of the obvious needs thru Free agency if at all possible......and he 's more than willing to work the phone on a trade...

He be more than willing to deal def. for WR Roy Williams-----Carp, Roy, Hatcher, Spears, even Ellis, Akin, another young DL (name at a loss)

Give Jerry a little credit.......when he decides to go a certain route.....he goes all the way, full effort, explores all avenues and options

proline

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;1903511 said:
... but i am sure arizona will frangize him,...

I think that's illegal in Arizona, and at least 39 other states.;)

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Jin Rummy;1905204 said:
Well, you said if you could convince "another" team to sign Barber. I wasn't thinking on the restricted free agency level. My mistake.

How would another team be able to sign Barber, if not through restricted free agency?

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
Screw the offense, we need a shutdown corner and a safety that can cover so we can rush more than four without too much worry of whats going on behind them..

The offense I believe can take care of themselves, but we can't stop anyone with our secondary.

AlterEgo

Reaction score
I truly believe this team needs to get a cb that is also a threat to return punts. Special teams hasn't been too special since the days of Kmart and Kevin Williams and Deion.

mmillman

Reaction score
utrunner07;1903118 said:
NO! you build a team through the draft! Never trade a first round draft pick unless it is for more first round picks or for future first round picks!!!! NEVER!

Yeah, that trade with Seattle for Dorsett really stunk. Elite players win in the NFL and if you have a guy you think is a difference maker you grab him when you can.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
AlterEgo;1905371 said:
I truly believe this team needs to get a cb that is also a threat to return punts. Special teams hasn't been too special since the days of Kmart and Kevin Williams and Deion.

I expect that the CB or RB we draft in the first will return kicks as well.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc;1905494 said:
I expect that the CB or RB we draft in the first will return kicks as well.
Punts, certainly, but not kicks.