We need extra picks ( trade 2025 2nd for 2024 3rd)

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
My point is we need another 3rd rounder or at a min, that 4th rounder back. After our 3rd rounder this year, we don't pick again until the 5th round and for a team that needs to replace 4-5 starters and refuses to add any free agents, that's not good.
I agree with what you’re saying but even with an extra 3rd it’s unrealistic to replace that many starters via the draft.

I think the most important thing is to make sure you hit on that first rounder. If you have a first round grade on a player available you take them.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Honestly I’m expecting Jerry to trade down but in an attempt to grab more picks for 2025.
I can see something weird like that too, like for what reason, what about the current season?? He doesn't even know if he'll be alive or next season, none of us do in that matter

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
My point is we need another 3rd rounder or at a min, that 4th rounder back. After our 3rd rounder this year, we don't pick again until the 5th round and for a team that needs to replace 4-5 starters and refuses to add any free agents, that's not good.
I do mock drafts often, and that wait, is killing!!! Even just looking at our pick from the 3rd to the 5th man it makes me want to cry!!! Some will say "Lance" is our 4th round pick, yeah who cares, you can't play 2 qb's in the game. Get us someone that can play and not be holding a clipboard

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Honestly I’m expecting Jerry to trade down but in an attempt to grab more picks for 2025.
This from Dana ( we can find a possible starting Center in 3rd round)...........so for me, that extra can get us LT, RB, C and LBer or CB. All should compete for starting jobs.

Cowboys fans seem to like the idea of Dallas drafting Oregon center Jackson Powers-Johnson at Pick 24. What do you think of him and if he’s not there at 24, who are some centers to keep an eye on in the second or third rounds?

I’m a big fan of Powers-Johnson. He’s my top center. He plays light on his feet in pass protection. You see natural movement skills as a run blocker. He has stability at contact so he can torque-off defenders, he’s balanced. He rarely feels like he’s overwhelmed. He returns to his balance very, very well. Obviously what he sees on the defensive lines in the NFL is going to be a big jump compared to the defensive lines he faced in the Pac-12. Some of the inexperience shows on tape. He’s not the most technically sound at this point. That’s something that will come with experience. But I just love his blend of size, athleticism, toughness. He always feels like he has an answer, whether it’s that lateral quickness, really fierce hands, he can stay centered, he can turn or wall off defenders in the run game, he’s very alert to what kind of games that defensive fronts are playing — his response is very, very quick. And there’s just something to the mentality that he plays with, I think that really helps him. He has the mentality that a center needs. I think that would make a ton of sense if the Cowboys drafted him there.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
This from Dana ( we can find a possible starting Center in 3rd round)...........so for me, that extra can get us LT, RB, C and LBer or CB. All should compete for starting jobs.

Cowboys fans seem to like the idea of Dallas drafting Oregon center Jackson Powers-Johnson at Pick 24. What do you think of him and if he’s not there at 24, who are some centers to keep an eye on in the second or third rounds?

I’m a big fan of Powers-Johnson. He’s my top center. He plays light on his feet in pass protection. You see natural movement skills as a run blocker. He has stability at contact so he can torque-off defenders, he’s balanced. He rarely feels like he’s overwhelmed. He returns to his balance very, very well. Obviously what he sees on the defensive lines in the NFL is going to be a big jump compared to the defensive lines he faced in the Pac-12. Some of the inexperience shows on tape. He’s not the most technically sound at this point. That’s something that will come with experience. But I just love his blend of size, athleticism, toughness. He always feels like he has an answer, whether it’s that lateral quickness, really fierce hands, he can stay centered, he can turn or wall off defenders in the run game, he’s very alert to what kind of games that defensive fronts are playing — his response is very, very quick. And there’s just something to the mentality that he plays with, I think that really helps him. He has the mentality that a center needs. I think that would make a ton of sense if the Cowboys drafted him there.
if we can't get him, there's other options at C later in the draft, TRADE down, and don't look back. I for sure don't want us to take that OT that played 8 games

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I respect the thought process on that, don't get me wrong, but it's a total front office failure from the start to even be in that position. To go into a draft needing to land a day 1 starting caliber player in round 3 is setting your team up for failure. Most years over half of 3rd round picks are out of the league before they get 2nd contracts. Only about 15% of players selected resign with the team that drafted them. It's certainly not impossible to land a gem in round 3, but the odds are not in your favor.

EJK24

Reaction score
@Hawkeye0202 I think if you look at this season coming up and think by adding a few pieces you will improve substantially and give yourself a real shot in the post season, you trade picks and spend in free agency to get over the hump.

I don't think they view this upcoming draft as a way to get where we wanna be instantly so I wouldn't anticipate trading up and trying to get enough picks to fix all positions of need. I think it's more about seasons ahead and not getting everything fixed right now. I think we will probably treat this draft like others and not with a sense of desperation to fill every weak spot asap.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
@Hawkeye0202 I think if you look at this season coming up and think by adding a few pieces you will improve substantially and give yourself a real shot in the post season, you trade picks and spend in free agency to get over the hump.

I don't think they view this upcoming draft as a way to get where we wanna be instantly so I wouldn't anticipate trading up and trying to get enough picks to fix all positions of need. I think it's more about seasons ahead and not getting everything fixed right now. I think we will probably treat this draft like others and not with a sense of desperation to fill every weak spot asap.
You are probably right .........I guess I'm still struggling with our situation, and FO appears to have no sense of urgency.

EJK24

Reaction score
@Hawkeye0202 It's the only way I can make sense of it. If they thought we're really close to getting over the hump, they would have extended Dak and probably brought in a few pieces to compensate for lack of draft picks. Just my opinion of course

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
@Hawkeye0202 It's the only way I can make sense of it. If they thought we're really close to getting over the hump, they would have extended Dak and probably brought in a few pieces to compensate for lack of draft picks. Just my opinion of course
That's the only thing that really makes sense in my mind. I think this current group either pulls off a miracle or Jerry gets the green light to overhaul the coaching staff and the roster next offseason. He's positioning himself to have the picks and cap flex to do whatever he wants after 2024.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That's the only thing that really makes sense in my mind. I think this current group either pulls off a miracle or Jerry gets the green light to overhaul the coaching staff and the roster next offseason. He's positioning himself to have the picks and cap flex to do whatever he wants after 2024.
It is hard to believe MM is going alone with this coz his a___ is as good as gone UNLESS he has a handshake agreement with Jerry for an extension regardless of what happens with this season.

EJK24

Reaction score
This is exactly how I feel about it. It's a sink or swim year for alot of coaches and players.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I do mock drafts often, and that wait, is killing!!! Even just looking at our pick from the 3rd to the 5th man it makes me want to cry!!! Some will say "Lance" is our 4th round pick, yeah who cares, you can't play 2 qb's in the game. Get us someone that can play and not be holding a clipboard
Now Lance is getting in his mental reps while holding that clipboard so he is earning his bag...lol

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t like the idea of trading a future 2nd for a current 3rd. Mostly because of historical draft success rates by round. I don’t remember the exact numbers, but someone did a research project on success rate of draft picks by round… I think 2nd contract info was used to determine success… something like that. Only about 50% of 1st round picks were deemed a “success”. It dropped to around 40% in the 2nd, and mid 20% range by the 3rd. Down from there. I know there is an unwritten rule that future picks are round value -1, but I don’t like it at higher rounds.
I’m not opposed to adding picks, just not at that price. Just my opinion.
If you take a closer look, the success rate is way lower than 40% in the second round. I don’t mean just our debacles but overall. Same in the third at 20.

Part of why their plan doesn’t work. Take a look at who they have taken in the last few drafts after the first round then consider how much they actually contribute.

That’s why they are in the position they are currently in. Too many holes. You’d figure they’d recognize that and make up for it in free agency but try telling billionaire narcissists that they are wrong.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys got 2 starters from the 5th and 6th round last year.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is exactly how I feel about it. It's a sink or swim year for alot of coaches and players.
I see what you are saying but that's crazy. How can they blame players and coaches for a disappointing season after doing little or nothing to improve the overall roster?