CFZ We need more out of The Free Safety and DC

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Yes, it looks like Bland got "exposed". And yes, it looks like Gilmore has lost a step (and yes, he actually has).

But when looking at the defensive gameplan for the Seattle game, and in a few other games this year, Quinn has not been good at offering more over-the-top safety support for the CBs. Usually a Cowboys Free Safety (FS) is in the middle of the field, and even from the middle, I hardly ever see a Cowboys safety making a play on a deep ball. Hec, I rarely see them on a deep pass within the frame of the play, it's just a DB back there fending for themselves. And if the Cowboys were constantly blitzing 6+ people, then I'd understand. But the Cowboys don't blitz all that often, especially early in games. So why aren't the safeties making more plays on deep balls?

We need more out of the safeties (especially the FS) in the passing game...more passes defended and such. Yes, they're all pretty good tacklers, but we need a FS who can roam around, make an occasional play and offer more deep pass support.

And Quinn needs to call a few more plays that offer safety support outside the hashes as well. Else, Bland and Gilmore will both have some rough games ahead when the pressure isn't dominant. Quinn left the DBs wayyy too exposed, needlessly, on too many plays, like right before the half.

I haven't looked at the All-22s, but for those that have, are you seeing safeties in decent positions to make plays?

links18

Reaction score
Too many guys running free in the secondary period. Easy pitch and catch. It looks like when Monte Kiffen was the DC. I get it, the goal is to make the offense drive the field and eventually force a mistake. That's great when it works against hapless teams, not so much when you have a competent offense out there.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
It’s a bit of an overreaction.

However, our 3 safeties seem to have dropped off and took a step back this season.

Kearse looks slow (bad back), Wilson still nursing an injury and Hooker seems a bit slow over top
Thank you, and yes, I agree, I know I'm overreacting a bit. But I do think we need a bit more out of the FS position and more overall help for the outside CBs, especially if you see them struggling. Either blitz a bit more so they don't have to cover as long, or provide over the top safety support shading the hashes. It's not rocket science. But Quinn didn't seem to adjust too well during the game, we kept seeing the same ineffective defenses. Sheesh!

jrumann59

Reaction score
Rough game, but talk about an overraction
:facepalm:
Seattle is a team fighting for its playoff lives. They have a talented group of receivers and their OC called a great game. Their DC called a game as well their DL was eating up the middle of the Dallas OL. Its the NFL there are games like this every weekend.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Hooker, Kearse and Wilson have all been slightly disappointing this season. If it wasn’t for Bland, I think we’d be calling the secondary a team weakness rn.

Carson

Reaction score
Thank you, and yes, I agree, I know I'm overreacting a bit. But I do think we need a bit more out of the FS position and more overall help for the outside CBs, especially if you see them struggling. Either blitz a bit more so they don't have to cover as long, or provide over the top safety support shading the hashes. It's not rocket science. But Quinn didn't seem to adjust too well during the game, we kept seeing the same ineffective defenses. Sheesh!
IMO its more scheme than players.

Quinn had too much trust in Bland and did not give him any help.

On DK’s first TD why is Wilson under cutting that so bad? That should be an easy pick

DKs second big catch, we are in single high and Hooker is shaded to the opposite side.

A lot is scheme. A lot of single high.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
They haven't had a safety since Roy Williams, fans didn't even like Roy. I'd focus on the passrush so we don't really need safeties. I hope they are thinking DL and LB / OL for next year.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
They haven't had a safety since Roy Williams, fans didn't even like Roy. I'd focus on the passrush so we don't really need safeties. I hope they are thinking DL and LB / OL for next year.
We HAVE the pass rush already, right? No?

aikemirv

Reaction score
Rough game, but talk about an overraction
:facepalm:
It is not an overeaction. Bland was exposed against Washington as well. He will be a huge target for the rest of the year. He is great seeing the ball so he will get a pick here and there but he is a liability

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yes, it looks like Bland got "exposed". And yes, it looks like Gilmore has lost a step (and yes, he actually has).

But when looking at the defensive gameplan for the Seattle game, and in a few other games this year, Quinn has not been good at offering more over-the-top safety support for the CBs. Usually a Cowboys Free Safety (FS) is in the middle of the field, and even from the middle, I hardly ever see a Cowboys safety making a play on a deep ball. Hec, I rarely see them on a deep pass within the frame of the play, it's just a DB back there fending for themselves. And if the Cowboys were constantly blitzing 6+ people, then I'd understand. But the Cowboys don't blitz all that often, especially early in games. So why aren't the safeties making more plays on deep balls?

We need more out of the safeties (especially the FS) in the passing game...more passes defended and such. Yes, they're all pretty good tacklers, but we need a FS who can roam around, make an occasional play and offer more deep pass support.

And Quinn needs to call a few more plays that offer safety support outside the hashes as well. Else, Bland and Gilmore will both have some rough games ahead when the pressure isn't dominant. Quinn left the DBs wayyy too exposed, needlessly, on too many plays, like right before the half.

I haven't looked at the All-22s, but for those that have, are you seeing safeties in decent positions to make plays?
yes, saftey play has dropped significantly. they are all in suck category right now. our defense is predicated on pass rush and when the pass rush struggles, then passing game struggles. with that said, Seattle has nice set of WRs and couple of really good TEs. not sure if anybody else can have that much recieving depth.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread. To me it looked like the team was out there with 8 defenders. The line, the 3 CB's and Bell.

I just barely saw the two safeties and Clark, particularly in coverage. Every pass looked like an empty backfield full blitz . . . except it wasn't.

Overall I think Quinn has been great but last night was not a good game. It seemed like it was both player issues and tactics.

JayFord

Reaction score
It's not a legacy issue

The defense was never gonna play 17 great games, some teams come out swinging and punch you right in the nuts

How do you respond ? And they responded well by shutting it down when it mattered old cowboys teams would've folded

Sometimes you just survive a game