CFZ We need more out of The Free Safety and DC

Gambit

Reaction score
At this point, I agree.

Thomas and Muk could use some reps and be a spark for the playoffs.
Izzy was active I thought yesterday, I thought he'd get some snaps on Metcalf in 2nd half.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm not that down on Gilmore. Yeah, he is on the backside of his career, but I still think he holds it down. He has that savvy veteran presence.

I'll definitely give you the safeties though. They've been underwhelming for sure.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Most Cowboy fans

A" player makes one good player

Fans: HES THE BEST PUT HIM IN THE HOF.

Player A misses an assignment

Also fans: WE NEED MORE OUT OF HIM WHAT IS HE DOING THIS DOESNT HAPPEN IN MADDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Everyone on the team cannot be the best in the NFL. No team can afford that.
The problem is that Dallas just paid Wilson and Hooker to basically be MIA all year. They are basically having zero impact in coverage.

The CB group has been good this season across the board, but safety play has been pretty atrocious honestly.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Everyone’s out of position because of Layton Vander, being out

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes, it looks like Bland got "exposed". And yes, it looks like Gilmore has lost a step (and yes, he actually has).

But when looking at the defensive gameplan for the Seattle game, and in a few other games this year, Quinn has not been good at offering more over-the-top safety support for the CBs. Usually a Cowboys Free Safety (FS) is in the middle of the field, and even from the middle, I hardly ever see a Cowboys safety making a play on a deep ball. Hec, I rarely see them on a deep pass within the frame of the play, it's just a DB back there fending for themselves. And if the Cowboys were constantly blitzing 6+ people, then I'd understand. But the Cowboys don't blitz all that often, especially early in games. So why aren't the safeties making more plays on deep balls?

We need more out of the safeties (especially the FS) in the passing game...more passes defended and such. Yes, they're all pretty good tacklers, but we need a FS who can roam around, make an occasional play and offer more deep pass support.

And Quinn needs to call a few more plays that offer safety support outside the hashes as well. Else, Bland and Gilmore will both have some rough games ahead when the pressure isn't dominant. Quinn left the DBs wayyy too exposed, needlessly, on too many plays, like right before the half.

I haven't looked at the All-22s, but for those that have, are you seeing safeties in decent positions to make plays?
When you have 2 aggressive corners with Diggs and Bland, you need safety help or they will give up big plays on occasion.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
The problem is that Dallas just paid Wilson and Hooker to basically be MIA all year. They are basically having zero impact in coverage.

The CB group has been good this season across the board, but safety play has been pretty atrocious honestly.
True, but realistically who were we going to get that was equal? There was an expectation based on past performance, sometimes it doesn't get met.

The Natural

Reaction score
They haven't had a safety since Roy Williams, fans didn't even like Roy. I'd focus on the passrush so we don't really need safeties. I hope they are thinking DL and LB / OL for next year.
We had arguably the best safety room in the league last year. They've tapered off this year.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
True, but realistically who were we going to get that was equal? There was an expectation based on past performance, sometimes it doesn't get met.
Oh yeah, I am not saying there were better options. The safeties were awesome last year. They were flying around and making plays. This year, for whatever reason they all seem to have regressed.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It’s a bit of an overreaction.

However, our 3 safeties seem to have dropped off and took a step back this season.

Kearse looks slow (bad back), Wilson still nursing an injury and Hooker seems a bit slow over top
We gave up 35 points in 23.5 minutes on Defense. We had +13 minutes on offense with zero turnovers. Penalties were part of the problem, but that is a red flag. Hopefully a one-off.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread. To me it looked like the team was out there with 8 defenders. The line, the 3 CB's and Bell.

I just barely saw the two safeties and Clark, particularly in coverage. Every pass looked like an empty backfield full blitz . . . except it wasn't.

Overall I think Quinn has been great but last night was not a good game. It seemed like it was both player issues and tactics.
Clark is a bust and needs to be drafted over. We need someone like Matt Milano.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I don't think we will get much more out of Quinn, this is probably who he is. A younger version of Marinelli

jrumann59

Reaction score
We HAVE the pass rush already, right? No?
to many rush equals sacks, no sacks no pass rush. I know its weird but many here use stats to prop up this or that. To your point we have pass rush but Seattle pretty much broke most of their tendencies up to this point in the season, these are the things middling teams do from time to time when on a skid.

CCBoy

Reaction score
While the Seattle offense scored touchdowns on five of their first seven drives to take an eight-point lead in the fourth quarter, the Dallas defense stood tall in the latter stages of the game and forced a turnover on downs on the Seahawks' final three possessions to come away with the six-point victory. "It was a big adjustment coming off how it came off with shots and big explosive plays, [pass interferences]," he said. "We just got to the point where we had to keep everything in front of us and make them earn it. We made some big stops towards the end."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/micah-parsons-credits-geno-smith-seahawks-for-big-game

And ending the game, they did. While Seattle was able to move the ball to midfield, the Seahawks stalled behind a pair of solid coverage plays from Jourdan Lewis and a fourth down pressure from Micah Parsons that never gave Smith a chance to make an informed decision.

"This film lets us get a lot of film for what we will need next week," he said. "There are a lot of similar players and play styles. You can compare Tyler Lockett to Devonta Smith and DK Metcalf to AJ Brown. There's levels to it, but they're very similar. It allows us to get that adversity of a 12-round boxing match, get the weekend off and get ready to play next week."

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't think we will get much more out of Quinn, this is probably who he is. A younger version of Marinelli
Doubter, on a good team making adjustments and always a part of momentum. Happens through an entire season and to all teams...49'ers and Eagles as well.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It’s a bit of an overreaction.

However, our 3 safeties seem to have dropped off and took a step back this season.

Kearse looks slow (bad back), Wilson still nursing an injury and Hooker seems a bit slow over top
Dan Quinn needs to stop favoring the veterans so much. Yes, they have experience but have become slow and beatable. He needs to alternate the younger and faster Safeties like Israel Mukuamu, Markquese Bell and Juanyeh Thomas.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Pressure from Parsons – Micah Parsons extended his league lead in pressures (78) to double-figures after seven total pressures on Thursday Night Football, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. He entered the week with the with 71, where the next closest pass rusher is Nick Bosa with 66 pressures.

Dallas' Defensive Woes? – Thursday marked the first game that Dallas has won while a Dan Quinn defense allowed 35-points or more. It was just the fourth time that a Quinn led defense in Dallas has allowed 35-points during his three seasons with the team. The other games were 42 points against San Francisco this season, 40 points to Jacksonville last season, and 36 allowed on Thanksgiving in 2021 against Las Vegas.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/big-facts-no-punts-again-40-burgers-more

This is when a common folk fan starts rooting for his team...