We Need Some Power at C

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And Biadasz/Farniok aren’t the answer. Neither are UDFA’s Lindstrom (296) and Empey (25 years old).

I have my eyes on 6-6/320 Joe Tippman from Wisconsin. Started for first time at C last year and was the 3rd ranked C in the country by PFF.

Biadasz has been on the team 3 years, if he hasn't gotten strong enough by now he's never going to.

Though if a middle rush is the issue why can't they roll out Dak more? Seems they hardly did that last year...

RonWashington

Reaction score
Hargrave for Philly drove him back and Cox recovered.

Your absolutely right thank you. The play gave Philly hope then the Cowboys crushed them which was very nice of them to do. Revamped Philly / Dallas this year should be great games.

The Realist

Reaction score
Biadasz has been on the team 3 years, if he hasn't gotten strong enough by now he's never going to.

Though if a middle rush is the issue why can't they roll out Dak more? Seems they hardly did that last year...

I agree on Biadasz. He’s the weak link on the OL behind UDFA Steele. If Frederick was still on the team they wouldn’t have gone after Lindstrom and Empey or had an interest in Jurgens.

If you roll out more you take away half the field and allow teams to dictate your play style.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
+1...........stated in another thread before the draft the FO was much higher on Biadasz than many fans/media. As for rebuild, with Tyron's contract expiring after the 2023 season, I'm guessing they'll revisit the LG position after moving Tyler Smith.
Outside of McGovern, they have several prospects this coaching staff drafted or signed. Biaz/Farn at the Center position, Ball, Steele at Tackle, heard both picks this yr, will be more left side players no matter if they are at Guard or Tackle, where Ball now is being moved to Right Tackle. Plenty of legitimate competition. Many fans have been spoiled with day 1 impact performers that team has drafted for the OL, 3 potential hall of fame players. That isn't the norm, look at the Giants they have been drafting lineman for years, with little results.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That would likely mean he'll develop into an ALL Pro (LG) or close to it.
People are going to be surprised on Smith. We discussed him throughout the process, he is a people mover. He already has all the physical attributes, just needs to learn better technique. After watching the interviews, he clearly has the want to be great.

The Realist

Reaction score
People are going to be surprised on Smith. We discussed him throughout the process, he is a people mover. He already has all the physical attributes, just needs to learn better technique. After watching the interviews, he clearly has the want to be great.

I love Smith at LG but not so much at LT. As far as our future LT goes all I can say is Waletzko is 6-7/312, runs 5.03 and did 28 reps with over 36 inch arms. I think he might surprise people.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I love Smith at LG but not so much at LT. As far as our future LT goes all I can say is Waletzko is 6-7/312, runs 5.03 and did 28 reps with over 36 inch arms. I think he might surprise people.
We just don't know at this juncture how it's going to shake. This yr, it is clear Smith will begin inside at LG.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If you roll out more you take away half the field and allow teams to dictate your play style.

Then why do teams do it?

Not saying he should roll out half the time, only more than they do, besides teams don't know, if you don't tip them off, that he's going to roll out.

Just need to have as many different styles of offense that you can....

The Realist

Reaction score
Then why do teams do it?

Not saying he should roll out half the time, only more than they do, besides teams don't know, if you don't tip them off, that he's going to roll out.

Just need to have as many different styles of offense that you can....

Two of the main reasons are 1) Helping a mediocre OL by not making your QB a stationary target in the pocket. 2) Helping QB’s who can’t read a defense by giving them 2 options hi/low.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Outside of McGovern, they have several prospects this coaching staff drafted or signed. Biaz/Farn at the Center position, Ball, Steele at Tackle, heard both picks this yr, will be more left side players no matter if they are at Guard or Tackle, where Ball now is being moved to Right Tackle. Plenty of legitimate competition. Many fans have been spoiled with day 1 impact performers that team has drafted for the OL, 3 potential hall of fame players. That isn't the norm, look at the Giants they have been drafting lineman for years, with little results.

Even if Biadasz loses the starting job, he was worth the 4th round pick because they didn't have anybody else to play that position for 2021.

The reason that they're saying Josh Ball is going to play RT is due to how McCarthy handles players with regards to motivation.
- McCarthy puts an extra emphasis on getting snaps for backups because he want them to stay ready and motivated.
- The Packers won the Super Bowl in a year when they had a record number of missed starts by expected starters.
- If Ball was only competing at LT, he has no chance to play unless Tyron is injured.
- At RT he has a chance to really compete with Steele.

Also, Ball's college experience is at LT.
- He'll need to get significant reps at RT if he is going to become the Swing Tackle.

On a side note, I'm still surprised that Waletzko was not more highly rated.
- If you evaluated players based only on the Senior Bowl 1-on-1 drills, Waletzko would be rated above Penning.
- Waletzko was better than Penning in those drills against the same defenders.

Can we nickname him Waldo? Then I don't have to check the spelling if I post about him...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm really surprised that Waldo was not more highly rated and not drafted earlier.

He looked really good in the Senior Bowl 1-on-1 drills.

His issue is the same as Tyler Smith's...technique...primarily hand usage.
- He showed good power for his build in game footage and his measurables obviously show excellent athletic ability.

If they can turn Steele into a starter, I don't see any reason that Waldo can't at least develop into a Steele caliber player.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is really well spoken for a 21 year old kid. Actually he was better in interviews than many veterans.

I would literally have him practice with something similar to handcuffs.
- If he just keeps his hands inside the defender, he won't have any problem starting at LG day 1.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree, have been saying so for awhile. I loved the Biadsz pick, but so far he hasn't been able to hold up against a power rush. Dak has to have that comfy feeling in front of his eyes in order to stay on the play long enough for it to develop. And Zeke needs a hole these days.
Which we all do.

The Realist

Reaction score
He is really well spoken for a 21 year old kid. Actually he was better in interviews than many veterans.

- If he just keeps his hands inside the defender, he won't have any problem starting at LG day 1.

There’s a basketball drill where you practice defensive slide with hands behind your back. Don’t reach, move your feet.

Plankton

Reaction score
+1...........stated in another thread before the draft the FO was much higher on Biadasz than many fans/media. As for rebuild, with Tyron's contract expiring after the 2023 season, I'm guessing they'll revisit the LG position after moving Tyler Smith.

Mike McCarthy is personally invested in Tyler Biadasz as a draft pick. In his time here, I have never heard him in a post-draft presser speak more about a player than he did Biadasz back in 2020, and he indicated that he politicked hard for him and for them to trade up. This will be a factor in anything that happens at center.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

We saw Tyron's feet were a mess when he started camp as a rookie, quickly learned how to use them and hit the ground running once the season started. It will be an easier transition for Smith starting inside.

How would you compare him with Collins coming out? I know he struggled with hand placement as well.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
And Biadasz/Farniok aren’t the answer. Neither are UDFA’s Lindstrom (296) and Empey (25 years old).

I have my eyes on 6-6/320 Joe Tippman from Wisconsin. Started for first time at C last year and was the 3rd ranked C in the country by PFF.
I think Dak got tired of Biadasz getting pushed back into his lap !

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Your absolutely right thank you. The play gave Philly hope then the Cowboys crushed them which was very nice of them to do. Revamped Philly / Dallas this year should be great games.

Hopefully, Biadasz does some serious work on his anchor so that he can handle players like Hargrave and Vea better (although they are tough to handle all game long by any offensive lineman). Centers get a lot of help, but they are often the weakest member of the line and defenses want to take advantage of that. One of the things that made our line so good with Frederick is that he was a very strong one-on-one player.

I look forward to the center competition. If Biadasz can't get the job done, then maybe Farniok can. If not, maybe Lindstrom. If not, maybe Empey. I'm glad we're throwing several bodies at it.