CFZ We need to be Patient with Mike McCarthy

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If Mike doesn't get it done and by that mean get past the WC round at a the very minimum, he should be fired as soon as the game ends and if it is an away game, he doesn't even get a ride back. Mike got to take over a team that was pretty well off as far as talent goes.. this is his 3rd year.. if this isn't his team by now, it never will be,, to this point, he hasn't provided any advantage over any coach that has been here since Parcells took over.. every single one of them Parcells, Phillips and Garrett have all done what Mike has done, won the division and lost lost games in the playoffs they should have won. It's not like he needed 2-3 years to rebuild the roster, the roster was ready to win when he was hired, he gets a little break due to QB 1 being injuried but last year we should have gone further than we did and if we exit early again this year, as i said, he should be gone.

Parcells didn't win a playoff game with us. I'm just saying, with Mike, we need to have some more patience

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Ok, Mrs. McCarthy's message was received, and just so you know our owner Mr.Jones thinks your husband is an excellent front/Yes man for the team!!

First off, I'm a stallion. Secondly, I'm just stating, rather than being completely negative and wanting a new coach, let's be patient with him. He had a nearly impossible task in his first season. This past seasons was very encouraging compared to Garrett. Finally, it's not like we are probably going to get that much better a coach with Jerry. I just choose to not be perpetually negative.

Big_D

Reaction score
If you dont' understand the difference in what Garrett started with vs what Mike started with, no point in discussing football at all. The bottom line is this, Garrett didn't get it done but he did build a pretty talented team. Big Mike was brought in to get the team over the hump, the hump that Garrett couldn't get over, even with good teams and good regular season results, they always faltered in the playoffs.. if Mike can't get us over the hump and start building on success, last year was a disappointment with the WC round exit, to keep his job, he needs to do better, it's a talented team and a weak conference this year. If they don't get the NFCCG I will consider it a total failure of a season but at least get to the divisional round, if he can't get this team (baring any major injuries) to at least the Divisional round, what's the point, might as well just kept Garrett.

Like Garrett wasn’t there the 4 years prior? He was just as much a reason for the joke they became in 2010. Jerry’s boy toy and future HC had the GMs ear from day 1 in 2007. Specially since he was hired before Phillips.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Parcells didn't win a playoff game with us. I'm just saying, with Mike, we need to have some more patience

Either has Mike. I want him to be successful, I want him to win a SB. History tells us he will not win a SB in Dallas. Maybe he will be the first in history to do so.. but so far, I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that he is any better at being an NFL coach than any one that has been here since Parcells.. horrible clock management, stupid in game decisions, slow starts, high penalities, early exit in the playoffs.. what exactley has he done tha warrants any patience what so ever.. I get it that Garrett had several years as a HC but I dont' think because a poor decision was made before, I have to make a poor decision now.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Like Garrett wasn’t there the 4 years prior? He was just as much a reason for the joke they became in 2010. Jerry’s boy toy and future HC had the GMs ear from day 1 in 2007. Specially since he was hired before Phillips.

Any proof to that or just your hatered skewing it to fit your agenda?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Either has Mike. I want him to be successful, I want him to win a SB. History tells us he will not win a SB in Dallas. Maybe he will be the first in history to do so.. but so far, I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that he is any better at being an NFL coach than any one that has been here since Parcells.. horrible clock management, stupid in game decisions, slow starts, high penalities, early exit in the playoffs.. what exactley has he done tha warrants any patience what so ever.. I get it that Garrett had several years as a HC but I dont' think because a poor decision was made before, I have to make a poor decision now.

My personal rule is I like to give the coach 2-3 years of patience before I start calling for their head, and it increases if they show improvement, unlike Garrett with his constant 8-8s early on. To me, Mike's first season is a mulligan. His second season was actually good, and I see a much improved mentality. I don't know if he will win us a SB, but I can see him taking us to the NFCC before he leaves here. And let's face it, especially with Jerry, there aren't exactly any other Parcells growing on trees.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Mikes first year was a total washout with the pandemic crappola....he gets a big mulligan on that one...then 12-5 and stumbles in first round and we know who lost that game and it wasn’t the coach. Is he a perfect coach... absolutely not but I just don’t get the hate...

Big_D

Reaction score
Any proof to that or just your hatered skewing it to fit your agenda?

You need proof that Jerry hired his prized OC and future coach before the actual HC? Every action that followed for Garrett’s 13 years here isn’t enough for you? That’s the value Jerry was hoping for but never panned out. There’s no doubt he should’ve been gone in 2010 as well.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Sean Payton's resume is identical to MM's resume. (both won one Superbowl w/a hall of Famer quarterback) Yet many want him as the new HC. o_O
Payton called his own plays I'll take the guy who will tell kellen to sit down

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You need proof that Jerry hired his prized OC and future coach before the actual HC? Every action that followed for Garrett’s 13 years here isn’t enough for you? That’s the value Jerry was hoping for but never panned out. There’s no doubt he should’ve been gone in 2010 as well.

Especially since it seems apparent that he sabotaged Wade, who was doing a very good job before 2010.

Motorola

Reaction score
That was implied lol.
It still had to be stated, given the long association with the franchise:
1) Garrett's father Jim being a team scout since the last couple of seasons Landry's career
2) Jason being the backup QB during the 90's dynasty
3) His fast-track ascendacy to OC- Assistant HC - before Wade Phillips was named HC.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It still had to be stated, given the long association with the franchise:
1) Garrett's father Jim being a team scout since the last couple of seasons Landry's career
2) Jason being the backup QB during the 90's dynasty
3) His fast-track ascendacy to OC- Assistant HC - before Wade Phillips was named HC.

Yup, exactly, which shows the overreach by Jerry. It took an obvious loss of the team for Jerry to sack him.

fredp22

Reaction score
I know there's a hunger for an improvement in a lot of areas on this team, including with the coaches. However, let's be realistic here. We have Jerry for an owner, and we had Jason Garrett in some coaching capacity for 10+ years. I think Mike deserves at least another year or two of patience from us. Now, I know some of you think I have sausage rolls for brains, but here are some big reasons to be patient with Mike.

1. Jimmy went 1-15 in his first year and 6-10 in his second year. It can take time for a coach to implement his style and mark into the team.
  2. Mike is having to implement his mentality into a team that had Jason Garrett as HC for approximately 9 years. So, it naturally will take longer for him to implement his mentality into the team. I think we can see that starting to develop, as I shall point out in the next point.
  3. Look at some of the games we won last year. Specifically, let's look at the Chargers game, the Patriots game, the Vikings game (in particular), the Saints game, and the first of two Washington games. In the Chargers game, we were playing a flashy young QB in Justin Herbert on the road in SoFi Stadium. I daresay that it'd have been a loss with Garrett, especially with the WRs the Chargers have. Yet, under Mike and Quinn, we won. The Patriots game would probably have likely been a humiliating loss. Let's face it, we hadn't beaten a Belichick coached team before that when he's the HC, and Garrett was never a match for Belichick. Then there's the Vikings game. Now, this was one that'd have the classic earmarks of a Garrett classic. Starting QB out, completely dismantled team, completely blown out to look like we have wet spaghetti for a team, and Jerry passes it off for missing the QB and extends Garrett for another year. Yet, we won that game with Cooper Rush. Then there's the Saints game. That was more Quinn as Mike was out, but Mike's mentality probably helped, and we won that game which, under Garrett, that'd be a loss. Finally, the first Washington game. We started collapsing towards the end. With Garrett, collapses always meant a loss. We won this time though. Let's assume we lose 4 of those. We'd have been 8-9 (likely a Garrett record). The Eagles, assuming their record held even, would've been the division champs at 9-8. We'd have been out of the playoffs entirely.
  4. We have Jerry Jones for an owner. Between him and how impatient as fans can be, there's a limit to how good of a coach we can get. Do you think Belichick is chomping at the bit to coach here? Nope. So, Mike is actually a very good coach for the owner we have.
I know the season didn't end how we wanted, but it was a great season. Mike's not perfect, and no coach is. However, as far as I'm concerned, I think Mike is doing a solid job. I like what I see in TC in terms of intensity. I think gone are the days of Camp Cupcake. The physicality seems much more intense. We got an OTA practice taken away both last year and this year because we were slightly overly physical (which is ridiculous, but ok). This team looks much more aggressive now. I think, if we are patient with Mike, this can be a very good team, and I like how he's developing this team. I wish Jerry would take a chance with a trade or a FA signings with player that can start and perform highly. I think that, like the Haley deal, might be all we need to go from playoff bound to contender. He'd pull out moves to save Garrett's job, why won't he take a chance or two to help Mike take this team to the mountain?
1)- MM really didnt have a good year. Many people see 12-5 but we were 6-5 over the last 11 games, were laughed at by everyone but us Cowboy fans for the playoffs and MM came through for us with a horrible game (thanks Mike!)

2) -What has MM done to improve the team for this year? Jimmy improved and built each year. Quinn seems busy and doing a good job but what has MM done?

3) I've never seen a coach that refuses to help one of their co-coordinators when they are suffering or inexperienced (KM). What other coach in the NFL treats their co-ord like that? For anyone that manages they know you cant u win if you dont work as a group with your leaders.

4) MM is 29-31 in his last 4 years with 0 playoff wins. Thats with Aaron Rogers and Dak as his qb's.

I really dont agree with this lets give him another few years talk. We gone over 26 years of that. If he continues to suck (as I think he will) I think hes gone and will welcome it.

75boyz

Reaction score
Do you not think Mike would if not for Jerry? Mike called his own plays in Green Bay.

This is the "root" of it ALL.

WHY take the job then? Publicly stating at his last coaching job that he would never give up playcalling again.

No clue at his previous job about defense, especially playoff defense excluding one year.

So he hires on with a 2 yr OC whom he's never met and hires a failed DC buddy whom he had coached with as a favor.

Does that make any sense?
It doesn't to me.

Unless there were some non-published major bankruptcy or divorce going on with his finances, this entire sleepover hiring still has all of these unanswered questions imo.

OR, he's looking to be the yes man walk around HC who is padding his retirement portfolio.

I still am not sure exactly what gamed day advantage he presents over any opponent based on not being offensively or defensively involved.

Not a fan.

Motorola

Reaction score
1)- MM really didnt have a good year. Many people see 12-5 but we were 6-5 over the last 11 games, were laughed at by everyone but us Cowboy fans for the playoffs and MM came through for us with a horrible game (thanks Mike!)

2) -What has MM done to improve the team for this year? Jimmy improved and built each year. Quinn seems busy and doing a good job but what has MM done?

3) I've never seen a coach that refuses to help one of their co-coordinators when they are suffering or inexperienced (KM). What other coach in the NFL treats their co-ord like that? For anyone that manages they know you cant u win if you dont work as a group with your leaders.

4) MM is 29-31 in his last 4 years with 0 playoff wins. Thats with Aaron Rogers and Dak as his qb's.

I really dont agree with this lets give him another few years talk. We gone over 26 years of that. If he continues to suck (as I think he will) I think hes gone and will welcome it.
'fredp22' ---- 30 days from tonight, McCarthy's trial by fire in season three begins.
Team rebounded from Prescott's and many of his teammates' injuries during 2020...but the home wilcard fiasco set the table for a make it-or-break it deep postseason run.

Big_D

Reaction score
Especially since it seems apparent that he sabotaged Wade, who was doing a very good job before 2010.

Jerry’s intentions were clear from day 1. Phillips was nothing more than a temporary HC. The fact that in 2010 they tried to pass Wade off as the problem and Garrett the answer was one of Jerry’s more ridiculous decisions. And that’s really saying something considering he’s compiled an extremely long list of poor decisions. The 13 year Garrett experiment is on top.