CFZ We need to be Patient with Mike McCarthy

jnday

Reaction score
I know there's a hunger for an improvement in a lot of areas on this team, including with the coaches. However, let's be realistic here. We have Jerry for an owner, and we had Jason Garrett in some coaching capacity for 10+ years. I think Mike deserves at least another year or two of patience from us. Now, I know some of you think I have sausage rolls for brains, but here are some big reasons to be patient with Mike.

1. Jimmy went 1-15 in his first year and 6-10 in his second year. It can take time for a coach to implement his style and mark into the team.
  2. Mike is having to implement his mentality into a team that had Jason Garrett as HC for approximately 9 years. So, it naturally will take longer for him to implement his mentality into the team. I think we can see that starting to develop, as I shall point out in the next point.
  3. Look at some of the games we won last year. Specifically, let's look at the Chargers game, the Patriots game, the Vikings game (in particular), the Saints game, and the first of two Washington games. In the Chargers game, we were playing a flashy young QB in Justin Herbert on the road in SoFi Stadium. I daresay that it'd have been a loss with Garrett, especially with the WRs the Chargers have. Yet, under Mike and Quinn, we won. The Patriots game would probably have likely been a humiliating loss. Let's face it, we hadn't beaten a Belichick coached team before that when he's the HC, and Garrett was never a match for Belichick. Then there's the Vikings game. Now, this was one that'd have the classic earmarks of a Garrett classic. Starting QB out, completely dismantled team, completely blown out to look like we have wet spaghetti for a team, and Jerry passes it off for missing the QB and extends Garrett for another year. Yet, we won that game with Cooper Rush. Then there's the Saints game. That was more Quinn as Mike was out, but Mike's mentality probably helped, and we won that game which, under Garrett, that'd be a loss. Finally, the first Washington game. We started collapsing towards the end. With Garrett, collapses always meant a loss. We won this time though. Let's assume we lose 4 of those. We'd have been 8-9 (likely a Garrett record). The Eagles, assuming their record held even, would've been the division champs at 9-8. We'd have been out of the playoffs entirely.
  4. We have Jerry Jones for an owner. Between him and how impatient as fans can be, there's a limit to how good of a coach we can get. Do you think Belichick is chomping at the bit to coach here? Nope. So, Mike is actually a very good coach for the owner we have.
I know the season didn't end how we wanted, but it was a great season. Mike's not perfect, and no coach is. However, as far as I'm concerned, I think Mike is doing a solid job. I like what I see in TC in terms of intensity. I think gone are the days of Camp Cupcake. The physicality seems much more intense. We got an OTA practice taken away both last year and this year because we were slightly overly physical (which is ridiculous, but ok). This team looks much more aggressive now. I think, if we are patient with Mike, this can be a very good team, and I like how he's developing this team. I wish Jerry would take a chance with a trade or a FA signings with player that can start and perform highly. I think that, like the Haley deal, might be all we need to go from playoff bound to contender. He'd pull out moves to save Garrett's job, why won't he take a chance or two to help Mike take this team to the mountain?
It’s blasphemy to even mention Dough Boy in the same post with Saint Jimmy. Shame on you.

Jarntt

Reaction score
He gets this year to prove himself and that’s it for me. That doesn’t mean he has to win a SB. He just needs to look like he is part of the solution and no longer part of the problem. His time management was disastrous. He didn’t inherit a team like what Jimmy did so that’s a poor point IMHO

Praxit

Reaction score
If Mike doesn't get it done and by that mean get past the WC round at a the very minimum, he should be fired as soon as the game ends and if it is an away game, he doesn't even get a ride back. Mike got to take over a team that was pretty well off as far as talent goes.. this is his 3rd year.. if this isn't his team by now, it never will be,, to this point, he hasn't provided any advantage over any coach that has been here since Parcells took over.. every single one of them Parcells, Phillips and Garrett have all done what Mike has done, won the division and lost lost games in the playoffs they should have won. It's not like he needed 2-3 years to rebuild the roster, the roster was ready to win when he was hired, he gets a little break due to QB 1 being injuried but last year we should have gone further than we did and if we exit early again this year, as i said, he should be gone.
...thats what i feel as well. This is mike's banner year. makes the playoffs, with a win. He's back next year. Anything less, he's out the door.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s going to matter much as long as Jethro’s dysfunctional ways undermines and meddles.

The closer we get to an Elite QB and defense the greater our chances are of overcoming the toxic culture.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He gets this year to prove himself and that’s it for me. That doesn’t mean he has to win a SB. He just needs to look like he is part of the solution and no longer part of the problem. His time management was disastrous. He didn’t inherit a team like what Jimmy did so that’s a poor point IMHO

The point of the Jimmy statement was to point out that it can take a couple years to assimilate a team to a coach. It's why I usually like to defend a coach at least for 3 years. Then, if the improvement isn't there, then I'll start wanting a replacement. In Mike's case, in with you to an extent. I think he needs to improve this year.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but Jimmy came here without ever coaching in the NFL. McCarthy has been a coach in the NFL for a long time now, and has won a Super Bowl. So, his timeline should be shorter than Jimmy's in regards to getting us to the Super Bowl. My patience is running thin. :D
your underestimating the mess and family mentality - i.e. everyone is safe here and they don't even take starters off the field non sense mike had to evolve the team from.... if JG was still here Micah may not even be our pick and we may as well have had Jaylon starting all of last season.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Mike's been here two years. The first year was impossible with the worst injury year in forever, including his starting QB. The second he went 12-5.

Yet people have less patience for him than they did for that fraud Garrett, who could only go 8-8 against a terrible division his first three years.

I'll never understand it.
we won more games than we would have ever won with JG being a coach when the QB is down for the season and we've actually seen that take place.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
your underestimating the mess and family mentality - i.e. everyone is safe here and they don't even take starters off the field non sense mike had to evolve the team from.... if JG was still here Micah may not even be our pick and we may as well have had Jaylon starting all of last season.

Not only would Micah not be here, but we'd probably have picked some TE round one and a suspended or injured LB round 2.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
we won more games than we would have ever won with JG being a coach when the QB is down for the season and we've actually seen that take place.

Exactly, and we also beat the Vikings on prime time with a backup QB. More reasons to be patient with Mike.

RS12

Reaction score
I am not a MM fan, have said it from the minute he was hired. Unfortunately it would not matter who was hired, Sean McVay wouldnt win here because you have to overcome the road block that is ownership to win. Never mind the questionable roster decisions, Jerry will undermine any coaching hire because he just cant help himself, unfortunately for us fans. This franchise is the epitome of dysfunctional.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I am not a MM fan, have said it from the minute he was hired. Unfortunately it would not matter who was hired, Sean McVay wouldnt win here because you have to overcome the road block that is ownership to win. Never mind the questionable roster decisions, Jerry will undermine any coaching hire because he just cant help himself, unfortunately for us fans. This franchise is the epitome of dysfunctional.

Plus, I wonder how many coaches after this would agree to HC here. Especially with how Mike's been getting sniped in the media this offseason. This is why we can't have quality HCs.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I know there's a hunger for an improvement in a lot of areas on this team, including with the coaches. However, let's be realistic here. We have Jerry for an owner, and we had Jason Garrett in some coaching capacity for 10+ years. I think Mike deserves at least another year or two of patience from us. Now, I know some of you think I have sausage rolls for brains, but here are some big reasons to be patient with Mike.

1. Jimmy went 1-15 in his first year and 6-10 in his second year. It can take time for a coach to implement his style and mark into the team.
  2. Mike is having to implement his mentality into a team that had Jason Garrett as HC for approximately 9 years. So, it naturally will take longer for him to implement his mentality into the team. I think we can see that starting to develop, as I shall point out in the next point.
  3. Look at some of the games we won last year. Specifically, let's look at the Chargers game, the Patriots game, the Vikings game (in particular), the Saints game, and the first of two Washington games. In the Chargers game, we were playing a flashy young QB in Justin Herbert on the road in SoFi Stadium. I daresay that it'd have been a loss with Garrett, especially with the WRs the Chargers have. Yet, under Mike and Quinn, we won. The Patriots game would probably have likely been a humiliating loss. Let's face it, we hadn't beaten a Belichick coached team before that when he's the HC, and Garrett was never a match for Belichick. Then there's the Vikings game. Now, this was one that'd have the classic earmarks of a Garrett classic. Starting QB out, completely dismantled team, completely blown out to look like we have wet spaghetti for a team, and Jerry passes it off for missing the QB and extends Garrett for another year. Yet, we won that game with Cooper Rush. Then there's the Saints game. That was more Quinn as Mike was out, but Mike's mentality probably helped, and we won that game which, under Garrett, that'd be a loss. Finally, the first Washington game. We started collapsing towards the end. With Garrett, collapses always meant a loss. We won this time though. Let's assume we lose 4 of those. We'd have been 8-9 (likely a Garrett record). The Eagles, assuming their record held even, would've been the division champs at 9-8. We'd have been out of the playoffs entirely.
  4. We have Jerry Jones for an owner. Between him and how impatient as fans can be, there's a limit to how good of a coach we can get. Do you think Belichick is chomping at the bit to coach here? Nope. So, Mike is actually a very good coach for the owner we have.
I know the season didn't end how we wanted, but it was a great season. Mike's not perfect, and no coach is. However, as far as I'm concerned, I think Mike is doing a solid job. I like what I see in TC in terms of intensity. I think gone are the days of Camp Cupcake. The physicality seems much more intense. We got an OTA practice taken away both last year and this year because we were slightly overly physical (which is ridiculous, but ok). This team looks much more aggressive now. I think, if we are patient with Mike, this can be a very good team, and I like how he's developing this team. I wish Jerry would take a chance with a trade or a FA signings with player that can start and perform highly. I think that, like the Haley deal, might be all we need to go from playoff bound to contender. He'd pull out moves to save Garrett's job, why won't he take a chance or two to help Mike take this team to the mountain?

big Mike talked Jerry into hiring Nolan and Philbin.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Remember he was hired for his experience/success in the post-season. In other words, Jerry and Stephen's thinking is/were we can make the playoffs with Garrett but that was his ceiling. We wanted a coach that could get us over the hump in the post-season. So in a sense, MM's floor is NFCCG. Notices Jerry just recently said if he didn't think MM could get us to the Super Bowl, he wouldn't be here.

Having said that, he's out of time IMO. He needs a deep playoff run to survive.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Just wish Mac would install his own offense here.
That's his calling card.
He has given to much power and control to Moore
Which I find very frustrating

I agree, and Moore needs to learn from Mike. I wonder if Moore might've forced Jerry's hand though saying that he'd coach college if he can't call plays. If that's the case, Jerry should have said have at it. That said, Moore should learn from Mike. Mike only has about 30 years of experience as a coach. Not like he could teach Moore something.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I agree, and Moore needs to learn from Mike. I wonder if Moore might've forced Jerry's hand though saying that he'd coach college if he can't call plays. If that's the case, Jerry should have said have at it. That said, Moore should learn from Mike. Mike only has about 30 years of experience as a coach. Not like he could teach Moore something.
Yes sir
Too much was given to Moore too soon.