We need to draft an Olineman from Hawaii

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Samson Satele, 4.29 short-shuttle, the differential between that and his 40 time is .90, that shows great quickness as .50 is considered quick, plus he's played OT, OG and C, and projects to both C and OG in the pros, many rate him as the #2 C, is a mean son of a gun to boot

other numbers:

1.75 10-yard dash
7.47 3-cone drill
25 benches

OT Dane Uperesa-6'5" 309:

5.3 40
4.58 short shuttle- .72 differential
1.76 10-yard dash
28 bench presses
33 1/2" vertical-best among Olinemen
9'6" long-jump-2nd best
7.66 3-cone drill

that is one explosive player

OT Tale Esera-6'3" 310:

5.33 40
4.72 short-shuttle- .61 differential
28 bench presses
32 1/2" vert
8'9" long-jump

quick and explosive as well, the best thing is that none of them have weight issues

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
We need to draft Doug Free. Among OTs he ranked:

Vert. Jump: 8th
Broad Jump: 2nd
Cone Drill: 1st
Shuttle: 5th

40-time for linemen is meaningless.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1446240 said:
40-time for linemen is meaningless.

really?!! OMG:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

wait, where did I pimp any 40 times?

btw, a 9'3" long-jump is shorter than 9'6", Dale Uperesa has the 2nd best long-jump

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1446329 said:
really?!! OMG:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

wait, where did I pimp any 40 times?

btw, a 9'3" long-jump is shorter than 9'6", Dale Uperesa has the 2nd best long-jump
You kept going on about the differential betwen 40-time and shuttle.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1446336 said:
You kept going on about the differential betwen 40-time and shuttle.

yeah, to show QUICKNESS

big difference, and which is much more important than straight-line speed for olinemen

btw, I like Free too, just bringing up some explosive linemen prospects that not many people are talking about

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Hawaii OLman are a little like Texas Tech OLman. They throw the ball so darn much it's hard to tell what you have and how their talent will translates to the pros.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1446382 said:
Hawaii OLman are a little like Texas Tech OLman. They throw the ball so darn much it's hard to tell what you have and how their talent will translates to the pros.

true, but at least they are prepared to play in space and these guys have the talent to do it well

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1446386 said:
true, but at least they are prepared to play in space and these guys have the talent to do it well

I'm just wondering, under Garrett, will we go with big maulers like we did under Jimmy/Norv? We'd bring in guys like Ray Donaldson who were dominant run blockers and draft guys like Big E and LA etc...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1446406 said:
I'm just wondering, under Garrett, will we go with big maulers like we did under Jimmy/Norv? We'd bring in guys like Ray Donaldson who were dominant run blockers and draft guys like Big E and LA etc...

most say we're going to maulers, but I'm not so sure

I don't think we're going to mauling OTs

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1446344 said:
yeah, to show QUICKNESS

big difference, and which is much more important than straight-line speed for olinemen

btw, I like Free too, just bringing up some explosive linemen prospects that not many people are talking about
If you're looking to measure explosiveness, or "quickness," I wouldn't include the 40 time at all.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
The guys at nfldraftscout like Satele. Comparing him to Bently is pretty high praise

Compares To: LeCharles Bentley, Cleveland Browns; Like Bentley, Satele plays with true aggression and knows how to use his strong hand punch to dominate blocking in-line; He keeps his pad level down and has the short-area power base to face up and sustain; He can land and explode on defenders in closed quarters, but is inconsistent maintaining his balance when asked to block on the move.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1446108 said:
Samson Satele, 4.29 short-shuttle, the differential between that and his 40 time is .90, that shows great quickness as .50 is considered quick, plus he's played OT, OG and C, and projects to both C and OG in the pros, many rate him as the #2 C, is a mean son of a gun to boot

other numbers:

1.75 10-yard dash
7.47 3-cone drill
25 benches

OT Dane Uperesa-6'5" 309:

5.3 40
4.58 short shuttle- .72 differential
1.76 10-yard dash
28 bench presses
33 1/2" vertical-best among Olinemen
9'6" long-jump-2nd best
7.66 3-cone drill

that is one explosive player

OT Tale Esera-6'3" 310:

5.33 40
4.72 short-shuttle- .61 differential
28 bench presses
32 1/2" vert
8'9" long-jump

quick and explosive as well, the best thing is that none of them have weight issues
Been pimping for Esera & Uperesa in my mocks. I think they'll be available w/ our multiple later round picks.....AND it's "Tala" not "Tale" Esera..... :D

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1446429 said:
If you're looking to measure explosiveness, or "quickness," I wouldn't include the 40 time at all.

:bang2:

to measure how quick a player is, you subtract his short-shuttle time by his 40 time, any differential .50 and above is considered pretty quick, that is the formula I got a couple of years ago from a Pat Kirwan, NFL.com article, and which is best applied to linemen

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1446459 said:
:bang2:

to measure how quick a player is, you subtract his short-shuttle time by his 40 time, any differential .50 and above is considered pretty quick, that is the formula I got a couple of years ago from a Pat Kirwan, NFL.com article, and which is best applied to linemen
Kirwan's point was that the differential showed how much a player's quickness varied from his 40 time. His point was that if you're going to measure quickness, you should not include 40 time.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1446466 said:
Kirwan's point was that the differential showed how much a player's quickness varied from his 40 time. His point was that if you're going to measure quickness, you should not include 40 time.

his formula was subtracting the short-shuttle from the 40 time and the differential is what you're looking at because that shows if a player is quick, or if he's fast, anything .50 and over is considered more quick than fast

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1446382 said:

:hammer:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1446469 said:
his formula was subtracting the short-shuttle from the 40 time and the differential is what you're looking at because that shows if a player is quick, or if he's fast, anything .50 and over is considered more quick than fast
His point was to show that just because a player has a bad 40 time doesn't mean he isn't quick.

For example

Player A has a 5.00 40-time and a 4.5 shuttle time, giving him a differential of .50.

Player B has a 4.5 40-time and a 4.01 shuttle time, giving him a differential of .51.

Which player is quicker? Obviously Player B, who has a larger differential is quicker. The problem is that 40-time and shuttle times are not perfectly proportional.

I've got the article. His overall point was to show that some players are "quick" even though they have a slow 40. In other words, when you want to determine whether a player is "quick" don't look at his 40 time.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1446478 said:
when you want to determine whether a player is "quick" don't look at his 40 time.

I'm not looking at his 40 time!! I'm looking at the differential