We need to draft an Olineman from Hawaii

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1446617 said:
not really
But his differential is greater than .5. So does having a high differential tell us whether a player is quick?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1446618 said:
But his differential is greater than .5. So does having a high differential tell us whether a player is quick?

if that player's .5 differential is calibrated from a respected 40 and shuttle he is, and I just gave you an example

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1446621 said:
if that player's .5 differential is calibrated from a respected 40 and shuttle he is, and I just gave you an example
Does the differential, by itself, tell us whether a player is quick?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1446632 said:
nope.

but Upesera, Satele and Esera are quick, so...
Of the tackles for which I have enough data to calculate, I have Upesera ranked as the 10th "quickest." I don't have enough stats on Esera to rank him. I haven't run the numbers on guards and centers, so I don't know about Satele.

When I calculate overall athletic ability, however, Upesera ranks very highly.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1446651 said:
Of the tackles for which I have enough data to calculate, I have Upesera ranked as the 10th "quickest." I don't have enough stats on Esera to rank him. I haven't run the numbers on guards and centers, so I don't know about Satele.

When I calculate overall athletic ability, however, Upesera ranks very highly.

of all the OTs invited to the Combine, Upesera's short-shuttle ranks tied for 6th w/ Marshal Yanda

Satele's 4.29 short-shuttle is the best, Ryan Kalil was shortly after w/ a 4.32

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1446664 said:
of all the OTs invited to the Combine, Upesera's short-shuttle ranks tied for 6th w/ Marshal Yanda
That may be true, but I don't measure quickness based solely on the shuttle time.

Satele's 4.29 short-shuttle is the best by far
I'll probably work on the the guard and center numbers tonight.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1446667 said:
That may be true, but I don't measure quickness based solely on the shuttle time.

I'll probably work on the the guard and center numbers tonight.

I'd be interested to see your formula, do you just add the shuttle w/ the 3-cone or what?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1446680 said:
I'd be interested to see your formula, do you just add the shuttle w/ the 3-cone or what?
It's shuttle, cone, and 10 yard time.

"Quickness" = Weight / 25 + (15 - (Shuttle + Cone)) + ((5 - 10-yard time)*5)

I may change it up a little bit, because I'm not completely satisfied with the variance each variable has.

Edit: By the way, Doug Free is the 2nd rated OT in the quickness rating.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1446535 said:
his point is that you don't have to have a great 40 time, that you can make up for it w/ quickness and explosion, which the .5 differential represents

from the article:

A man who runs a 4.4 40 and a 4.4 short shuttle is really a guy with straight-line speed who may not play very fast because of a lack of quickness.

and if relative to their slow 40, that they are quick, what does that tell us?

That they're quick for a slow guy?? :D

So, if a guy runs a 5.35 short shuttle, and a 5.85 40, that means he's quick??

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Wow.....those are great numbers for sure and he deserves a solid look see

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;1446775 said:
That they're quick for a slow guy?? :D

So, if a guy runs a 5.35 short shuttle, and a 5.85 40, that means he's quick??

in relation to his 40, yes

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Satele is of course the best prospect of the three and most ready to play at this level. I think he'll make a nice pro. He also has a bit of a nasty streak.

Uperesa has really good measureables. He has the body, the "look" if you will. Pretty smart guy, went to Punahou, arguably the top high school academically in the state of Hawaii. He lacks the mean streak Satele has, though. He's never really been that way, even when we were kids. (He didn't need to be , of course, he was so goddammned bigger than everyone else.) I would take a look at him in the sixth/seventh round. He may develop into a nice prospect somewhere down the line. BTW, IIRC Uperesa is somehow linked with Mark Tuinei (Uncle or second cousin or something, a nice tidbit)

Esera's a nice college player, I'm not sure how well he'll be at the pro level, though.