We need to lock up Kellen Moore for as long as we possibly can

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it's a hypothetical discussion, and one that is certainly to be at it's strongest point come playoff time when the lousy teams will be on the look for young upstart coaches, and
we'll have 2 of them that will be likely pouched at season's end. (Moore, Richard)

with the excitement of the current offense, Cowboys Nation are gonna want to think of a way, the best ways - to keep Moore on and keep this explosive foundation roll going...
and since Garrett isn’t really the creative mastermind behind this offense, should Moore leave, the best bet is to promote the 2nd best creative mastermind that was behind Kellen,
- and I assume that would either be Brad Musseheimer (TE coach) or Jon Kitna ( QB coach)

and the same way Garrett & co., thought to bring Moore, Musseheimer and Jon Kitna, the staff will have to have other coaching candidates on board that share similar coaching mindset, tactics and schematics to what Moore has.
I understand. Kellen Moore has had a fantastic start and we are all righty excited. And success always breeds interest in your coaching staff. That’s a good thing IMO because it will signal we’ve won something.

But there are also a ton of assumptions being made now that just can’t be made yet. Young Kellen essentially hasn’t been tested by adversity yet. I’m not saying he won’t pass those tests with flying colors. I think he will, but teachers don’t give final grades in September for a reason.

Because there will come a game or two where some Defensive guru coordinator is going to have enough tape on Moore and his tendencies and make it extremely difficult to succeed. It’s in those moments when we find out what an OC is made of. I expect him to do well. But let’s see what he is like under adversity before we start crowning him or calling him HC material.

Sammy

Reaction score
Jason Garrett makes 6 mil per year IIRC. How much can they give Kellen to make him stay OC?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kellen Moore has been great through two whole real NFL games. I love what I’ve seen so far and kudos to him. Look I’m excited too but with 14 more games on the schedule, let’s hold off on administering the anointing oil just yet. Two games is...two games.
Two games is two games....10 years is 10 years....

Sammy

Reaction score
As much as Jerry wants. There’s no cap on what teams pay coaches.

No official cap, but what happens if Garrett feels undermined? I think a lot of the players are very salary-conscious. It could change the chemistry between them and the coaches one way or the other. And what if the DC feels slighted because he only makes 1/3 of Kellen's salary? It could cause a cancer to the morale around there.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No official cap, but what happens if Garrett feels undermined? I think a lot of the players are very salary-conscious. It could change the chemistry between them and the coaches one way or the other. And what if the DC feels slighted because he only makes 1/3 of Kellen's salary? It could cause a cancer to the morale around there.
Garrett IS always being undermined by this owner/GM. He’s already lived with being undermined a loooong time, lol.

quickccc

Reaction score
I understand. Kellen Moore has had a fantastic start and we are all righty excited. And success always breeds interest in your coaching staff. That’s a good thing IMO because it will signal we’ve won something.

But there are also a ton of assumptions being made now that just can’t be made yet. Young Kellen essentially hasn’t been tested by adversity yet. I’m not saying he won’t pass those tests with flying colors. I think he will, but teachers don’t give final grades in September for a reason.

Because there will come a game or two where some Defensive guru coordinator is going to have enough tape on Moore and his tendencies and make it extremely difficult to succeed. It’s in those moments when we find out what an OC is made of. I expect him to do well. But let’s see what he is like under adversity before we start crowning him or calling him HC material.

true, and those tough times will eventually come to this offense, ( could be vs eventually upcoming Pats game) though let it please happen in reg season vs playoffs !

but overall it has the looks that it could be more fair weather than stormy times
and it will continue to be a - and it won't be just Moore, .. it's also about an eventual rough game or two from Dak.- even the elite ones can/do have those from time to time.
it's gonna be the overall entirety of body work i'm looking at.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Jason Garrett had a pretty stellar first game as the new OC when he took over the job.