We need to stop overrating the offensive talent here

CCBoy

Reaction score
Translation please.
I don't think that Adam JT needs much translations for his works...do you really?

That is a grouping of pass receiving stats that indicate that at present, Ezekiel Elliott was one of the very worse receivers rated around. That have any relevance in changes to be developed in the soon to be after-action evaluations and directions for player changes?

Relevancy? No, I'm not a mumbling fool...

Maybe this is easier for YOU:

105 receivers targeted on 300+ passes since 2016 (regular and post season)

105th in EPA
105th in EPA per play
105th in Success Rate
105th in Total WPA
104th in WPA per play

(Uh, those are pass receiving types of stats) And they indicate that Elliott is actually a pretty bad receiver and hurts the team when he is counted upon to break pass pressures and blitzing against the Cowboys.

Missing receiving skills an important element in moving on with a declining Elliott as well? Could this be a projected straw that broke the camel's back in current projections?

...or does this need a geiger counter to detect radiation levels as well?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think that Adam JT needs much translations for his works...do you really?

That is a grouping of pass receiving stats that indicate that at present, Ezekiel Elliott was one of the very worse receivers rated around. That have any relevance in changes to be developed in the soon to be after-action evaluations and directions for player changes?

Relevancy? No, I'm not a mumbling fool...

Maybe this is easier for YOU:

105 receivers targeted on 300+ passes since 2016 (regular and post season)

105th in EPA
105th in EPA per play
105th in Success Rate
105th in Total WPA
104th in WPA per play

(Uh, those are pass receiving types of stats) And they indicate that Elliott is actually a pretty bad receiver and hurts the team when he is counted upon to break pass pressures and blitzing against the Cowboys.

Missing receiving skills an important element in moving on with a declining Elliott as well? Could this be a projected straw that broke the camel's back in current projections?

...or does this need a geiger counter to detect radiation levels as well?
Ok thanks. Just wasn’t sure what you were saying earlier. In short, Zeke is not a good receiver.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Just wasn’t sure what you were saying earlier. In short, Zeke is not a good receiver.
That's true, and right now would be a time to make a move and find a true bell cow that is an intense threat to mix with Tony Pollard. Somehow resign Cooper, Gallup, and Williams.

Draft a top defensive lineman at the Cowboys top of the draft, or a defensive end and defensive tackle top two,,,and things would look pretty up as to immediate directions.

Quite a bit of salary can be renegotiated to provide available salary cap to do just that. It would put a direction for the next three years, unless the current Head Coach can't handle the job for real.

I'm watching and at least interested to do so...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's true, and right now would be a time to make a move and find a true bell cow that is an intense threat to mix with Tony Pollard. Somehow resign Cooper, Gallup, and Williams.

Draft a top defensive lineman at the Cowboys top of the draft, or a defensive end and defensive tackle top two,,,and things would look pretty up as to immediate directions.

Quite a bit of salary can be renegotiated to provide available salary cap to do just that. It would put a direction for the next three years, unless the current Head Coach can't handle the job for real.

I'm watching and at least interested to do so...
I’m with you on drafting an OL at the top of our draft.

But regarding some other offensive players- I would definitely say goodbye to Connor Williams and his league leading holding skills. Cooper is already signed but IMO, he’s way too expensive for what this team gets in return. I would try to either restructure Coop’s deal or release him. I know he’s an excellent receiver, but he’s been here 3.5 years and we have one WC win to show for it. The last half of last season, he avg less than 45 yds per game. We can’t afford to keep Cooper and resign Gallup. It’s one or the other.

Regarding the running game, I would release Zeke. I know his contract would make for some cap weight but it’s time to cut our losses with him. Zeke is done. We could draft a decent RB in rounds 3-5 to pair with Pollard. I know Jerry will never allow this because he’s married to the idea that Zeke was a great investment with the 4th pick in the 2016 draft. Not true but when has JJ ever been able to admit that?

IMO- More than anything, this team needs major help in the trenches. Especially OL. If they release DLaw and or don’t resign Gregory, which is a possibility, drafting an edge rusher will be critical.

With 21 free agents coming up this off season, and the cap squeeze they are in, this team will look very different in 2022 than last year.

CCBoy

Reaction score

But regarding some other offensive players- I would definitely say goodbye to Connor Williams and his league leading holding skills. Cooper is already signed but IMO, he’s way too expensive for what this team gets in return. I would try to either restructure Coop’s deal or release him. I know he’s an excellent receiver, but he’s been here 3.5 years and we have one WC win to show for it. The last half of last season, he avg less than 45 yds per game. We can’t afford to keep Cooper and resign Gallup. It’s one or the other.

Regarding the running game, I would release Zeke. I know his contract would make for some cap weight but it’s time to cut our losses with him. Zeke is done. We could draft a decent RB in rounds 3-5 to pair with Pollard. I know Jerry will never allow this because he’s married to the idea that Zeke was a great investment with the 4th pick in the 2016 draft. Not true but when has JJ ever been able to admit that?

IMO- More than anything, this team needs major help in the trenches. Especially OL. If they release DLaw and or don’t resign Gregory, which is a possibility, drafting an edge rusher will be critical.

With 21 free agents coming up this off season, and the cap squeeze they are in, this team will look very different in 2022 than last year.

Oh, I agree completely, that there is a ton and a half that can be worried about...but when all is said and done, there is much that can be done realisticly as well as practical applications involving training for discipline on the team.

First, there has to be commitment on the staff and under Jerry as well, that their team will both remain focused as well as disciplined. Bad habits creep into play if a harsh level of accountability is not maintained and demanded from the start of the off season. There should be no doubt with the start of off season practice and team activity, this year all is on the line and that will include complete focus that leaves no room for lax or mental inconsistencies...at all.

Movie star status only is allowed into the room come the Super Bowl week!

A soldier was trained at all times, as if it were a real war environment and a professional sports team should be so held accountable as well. Bill Parcells started that style of play, when he was the Head Coach for the US Air Force Academy. It has it's place and is seen in teams such as Tampa Bay, Kansas City, San Francisco, the Rams, as well as New England.

This season is fully committed on Jerry, coaching staff, and roster...now they can just own up and go all in. Push the total envelope in renegotiated salaries, resigned players, and this draft.

A third round running back might be pretty attractive as well.

kskboys

Reaction score
He used to be. In 2018 he had 77 catches. And then we stopped throwing him the ball.

The demise of Z has been very strange.

CCBoy

Reaction score
There once was a time, when there was no off time by football staffs throughout football...college and professional. Good staffs did the homework and commitment to fully analyze an opponent prior to building through each and every week against all opponents. Today, that takes an analysis group that does all the required film study and presents the breakdowns of direction and awareness prior to presenting it to the staff. This take a very talented group that is in tune with present Dallas personnel as well as scheme adaptability.

Dallas needs just such a team that does all film legwork as well as breakdowns to present to current staff. McCarthy and his staff, with state of the art and very good weekly guidelines, should well be able to attack an opponent with quality roster elements, and win games.

Add on to responsibilities by delegating some of the burden...but improve focus and then motivate the team and actually prepare the team to be able to meet change and demands for any opponent.

The pre season is also where clock management and disciplines are recognized and forged!

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It has been said for far too long that the Cowboys have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. It’s especially been said by Jerry and Stephen. I’m not here to say that this team is not talented. We certainly have some talent.

But I’m of the opinion that talent should be measured by what it accomplishes for your team. Whatever level of talent we have had the last 5 years has translated into 1 wild card playoff win under two different coaching staffs. TALENT SHOULD BE MEASURED BY THE RESULTS IT GIVES. If all we get is an occasional divisional “title” is that great?

We fans love our team and our players. But sometimes we have to take off the fan glasses and see things as they really are.

To avoid having a super long post, here are just some examples on offense of overrated talent here:
  • WR’S and TE’s one of the best groups in the NFL? Let’s tap the brakes.
    • Amari Cooper- he’s certainly a talented receiver. And he’s paid like it. But the last 9 games of the season he avg about 45 yds per game. Why do we think paying Cooper all that money “is worth it”? What did it translate to? He’s good but he’s not consistent to pay him top dollar IMO.
    • Cedee Lamb had a statistically good year last year, but his drops are nearly league leading. He gets lazy at times and had several lapses in focus in the playoff game against the niners that cost us dearly. He needs to improve a lot to be called “great”.
    • Michael Gallup missed most of the season with an injury and was re-injured at the end of the season. I love Gallup, but he wasn’t there for most of the season. Probably gone anyway.
    • Dalton Schultz- a good but not great TE who will probably command more in FA than we can pay. Blake Jarwin? Unless we’re playing the giants, he’s a spare.
  • OL- too many TV people and PFF people act like this is a top 5 OL. It isn’t.
    • Tyron Smith- the once greatest player on this team has turned into a constant injury waiting to happen. He’s missed a whopping 32 games the last 5 seasons, and hasn’t played a full season since 2015. We need to stop pretending this is working.
    • Tyler Biadz- gets manhandled on a regular basis. Thankfully, Connor “Holding” Williams will be gone next year. But Biadz either needs more help if he’s going stay at C.
    • La’El Collins- like Smith has missed a ton of games- some to injury some to his own stupidity. But he’s not been that great at RT. Maybe he could play LG again as he did back in 2016. But he either needs to get better or we say adios.
    • Zack Martin is still great. But he alone doesn’t make this a great OL.
  • RB and QB-
    • Zeke Elliott- the highest paid RB in the league is killing the cap, barely producing any kind of reliable yardage and just looks old and slow. Tony Pollard should have had more snaps last year but the Jones family sees him as a family member not a football player on their team. He needs to be released.
    • Dak- I’m not a Dak “hater”. I still think he’s capable of leading this team to a SB. Lots of QBs with less talent have already done it. But he’s never going to be a “carry the team on his back” kind of QB.
Bottom line Cowboys fans: This offense’s talent is seriously overrated. We need to seriously upgrade the OL, shave some cap space off the WR and RB positions and draft some guys that can help immediately. Dak’s contract will be restructured.

Let me play devils advocate. Seems you are picking on the offense that lead the NFL in points and yards.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It has been said for far too long that the Cowboys have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. It’s especially been said by Jerry and Stephen. I’m not here to say that this team is not talented. We certainly have some talent.

But I’m of the opinion that talent should be measured by what it accomplishes for your team. Whatever level of talent we have had the last 5 years has translated into 1 wild card playoff win under two different coaching staffs. TALENT SHOULD BE MEASURED BY THE RESULTS IT GIVES. If all we get is an occasional divisional “title” is that great?

We fans love our team and our players. But sometimes we have to take off the fan glasses and see things as they really are.

To avoid having a super long post, here are just some examples on offense of overrated talent here:
    • Amari Cooper- he’s certainly a talented receiver. And he’s paid like it. But the last 9 games of the season he avg about 45 yds per game. Why do we think paying Cooper all that money “is worth it”? What did it translate to? He’s good but he’s not consistent to pay him top dollar IMO.
    • Cedee Lamb had a statistically good year last year, but his drops are nearly league leading. He gets lazy at times and had several lapses in focus in the playoff game against the niners that cost us dearly. He needs to improve a lot to be called “great”.
    • Michael Gallup missed most of the season with an injury and was re-injured at the end of the season. I love Gallup, but he wasn’t there for most of the season. Probably gone anyway.
    • Dalton Schultz- a good but not great TE who will probably command more in FA than we can pay. Blake Jarwin? Unless we’re playing the giants, he’s a spare.
    • Tyron Smith- the once greatest player on this team has turned into a constant injury waiting to happen. He’s missed a whopping 32 games the last 5 seasons, and hasn’t played a full season since 2015. We need to stop pretending this is working.
    • Tyler Biadz- gets manhandled on a regular basis. Thankfully, Connor “Holding” Williams will be gone next year. But Biadz either needs more help if he’s going stay at C.
    • La’El Collins- like Smith has missed a ton of games- some to injury some to his own stupidity. But he’s not been that great at RT. Maybe he could play LG again as he did back in 2016. But he either needs to get better or we say adios.
  • RB and QB-
    • Zeke Elliott- the highest paid RB in the league is killing the cap, barely producing any kind of reliable yardage and just looks old and slow. Tony Pollard should have had more snaps last year but the Jones family sees him as a family member not a football player on their team. He needs to be released.
    • Dak- I’m not a Dak “hater”. I still think he’s capable of leading this team to a SB. Lots of QBs with less talent have already done it. But he’s never going to be a “carry the team on his back” kind of QB.
Bottom line Cowboys fans: This offense’s talent is seriously overrated. We need to seriously upgrade the OL, shave some cap space off the WR and RB positions and draft some guys that can help immediately. Dak’s contract will be restructured.

so we believe you over all the tv analysts and third-party ranking companies? Hmm ok

DandyDon52

Reaction score

• RB and QB-
well bob, it isnt the fans that matter, it is the jones boys lol.
all that matters is how they rate the various players. And you can guess how that will go.
I have a question for you, lets say lambs production remains same or even drops lower, will jerry over rate him and give him a big contract ??
Will jerry give gregory a big contract ??
I think he gives both a big contract whether they deserve one or not.

CCBoy

Reaction score
With all that could be done and was done when Jerry first got ownership of the franchise, was to go out and pay his way to a Championship team. Since then, and the rebuild from the dynasty period, Stephen has grasped controls of the finances overall. That has affected how the team responds and limits top shelf abilities that would push the team to the very top rungs. That's the plain facts, folks.

Jerry needs to here and now, take his own preferences in hand, and spend for the now of the his team.

This is a major problem for the Cowboys. Stephen Jones is the main architect of the approach to the salary cap. And he approaches it as a profit and loss spreadsheet, not as a way to build the best roster for success on the field. He is a bean counter at heart.

Heere and now, Jerry should take the GM duties in hand and set his team straight and work this roster to maximize the current Cowboys team. The team is already drafting to maintain the rebuilding aspects.

Now, get to being a Champion again, Jerry!

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is the further tendencies indicated if Jerry doesn't take hold to his team...

The way a roster should be built is for the coaches to put together who they want to fit their plans. Then the GM, or in the unique structure in Dallas, Jones should figure out how to give them as much as possible while making the cap work. Things are done pretty much the opposite at the Star, where Jones figures out how to spend his family’s money and then lets the coaches try and kluge everything together on the field. Aggravating things is that Jones, despite his self-image of a tough negotiator, repeatedly gets backed down or just makes puzzling commitments like the Jaylon Smith second contract.

bloggingtheboys.com/2022/2/5/22918538/dallas-cowboys-salary-cap-decisions-free-agents-stephen-jones-amari-cooper-demarcus-lawrence

Jerry better forge directions for his franchise right here and now, or the shortly arriving new GM, Stephen, will continue to direct second place finishes...unless the team actually finds gold at the end of a rainbow.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Now, this is interesting...

Michael Gehlken
@GehlkenNFL

Transaction not formally processed yet, but Cowboys are signing kicker Chris Naggar (nuh-GAR) to a Reserve/Future contract, source said. Competition for Greg Zuerlein. Naggar impressed at SMU pro day last year with two FGs of 60-plus yards. Arlington native also punted in college

CCBoy

Reaction score

This is the focus of why you made your comment about the offensive line position...

In the first eight games Prescott got pressured 91 times and sacked 11 times, according to PFF. In the last 10 games: 131 pressures and 24 sacks, including a season-high 25 pressures and five sacks by San Francisco.

dallascowboys.com/news/year-in-review-overall-takeaway-from-2021

Cebrin

Reaction score
I agree with this entire post; especially about the receivers. Lamb has the talent to be the #1 target but his indifferent route running and concentration lapses are troubling. It also needs to be recalled that Dak threw for 375 yards on Thanksgiving with both Lamb and Cooper out. The drop off from them to Cedrick Wilson, Gallup, and Noah Brown may not be as steep as we think.
Agreed, and not. Definitely fine with shaking it up, but the Raiders were a bottom of the league defense, and we still lost. Mostly because we can't run the ball.

Is it Zeke? Is it the OL? Is it Moore? McCarthy?

Dak threw 45 passes that game. That shouldn't happen unless you have a top 5 QB. Dak is good, but he's not sniffing that territory, and I don't think he ever will.

We definitely need to shake the roster, but I understand that for coaching, and owners that is scary. They'd then either be genius, or exposed. I hope it's the former, but I fear it's the latter.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This was a team that refused to learn from its mistakes all season long. With a bit more adaptability, it's easy to imagine them putting a more impressive run together. Instead, we're sitting here wondering what it'll take to get back to that point.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/year-in-review-overall-takeaway-from-2021

Learning now has to reach, during this season's after action review...all the way back up to Jerry, himself.

CCBoy

Reaction score
They can beat and even dominate the below average teams and even handle the decent ones. But the good teams were just too good for the Cowboys. They're close. Close to beating all of those teams this, but close isn't good enough. And especially not good enough for this fan base who has waited too long for great success.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/year-in-review-overall-takeaway-from-2021

This is exactly why Stephen's mode for decisions has to be broken enough to arrive at the very tops of the NFL, and not just financial business success. Jerry and Stephen have to truly lead their team to the best in the NFL, AND pay for this journey right now!