We need to stop overrating the offensive talent here

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
well bob, it isnt the fans that matter, it is the jones boys lol.
all that matters is how they rate the various players. And you can guess how that will go.
I have a question for you, lets say lambs production remains same or even drops lower, will jerry over rate him and give him a big contract ??
Will jerry give gregory a big contract ??
I think he gives both a big contract whether they deserve one or not.

I would argue that it's not so much the 'big' contract that kills it's more to do with our constant CAP crisis (and can kicking) which results in long contracts that look ok at the time (with little guaranteed money) but then get abused by deferments resulting in expensive/guaranteed contracts at the back end of the contract long after the player has become an asset.

Because of the weak East we have been able to kick the can and still be in with a chance of the playoffs. 2021 showed us that this strategy has serious flaws when it comes to competing with play-off caliber teams and that we may need to break the cycle, even if this means the roster in 2022.

Luckily we are in the position to reset in 2022 (resulting in a much stronger 2023) and starting with Jaylon's release I wonder if that was the start of things to come.

shabazz

Reaction score
The other thing to keep in mind is leading the league in penalties.....how many potential points were left on the field this season?

When we all saw how many games were decided by the slimmest of margins, this was a huge factor. Both players and coaches have to fix this next year because it hurt a potentially good season

Loso86

Reaction score
It has been said for far too long that the Cowboys have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. It’s especially been said by Jerry and Stephen. I’m not here to say that this team is not talented. We certainly have some talent.

But I’m of the opinion that talent should be measured by what it accomplishes for your team. Whatever level of talent we have had the last 5 years has translated into 1 wild card playoff win under two different coaching staffs. TALENT SHOULD BE MEASURED BY THE RESULTS IT GIVES. If all we get is an occasional divisional “title” is that great?

We fans love our team and our players. But sometimes we have to take off the fan glasses and see things as they really are.

To avoid having a super long post, here are just some examples on offense of overrated talent here:
  • WR’S and TE’s one of the best groups in the NFL? Let’s tap the brakes.
    • Amari Cooper- he’s certainly a talented receiver. And he’s paid like it. But the last 9 games of the season he avg about 45 yds per game. Why do we think paying Cooper all that money “is worth it”? What did it translate to? He’s good but he’s not consistent to pay him top dollar IMO.
    • Cedee Lamb had a statistically good year last year, but his drops are nearly league leading. He gets lazy at times and had several lapses in focus in the playoff game against the niners that cost us dearly. He needs to improve a lot to be called “great”.
    • Michael Gallup missed most of the season with an injury and was re-injured at the end of the season. I love Gallup, but he wasn’t there for most of the season. Probably gone anyway.
    • Dalton Schultz- a good but not great TE who will probably command more in FA than we can pay. Blake Jarwin? Unless we’re playing the giants, he’s a spare.
  • OL- too many TV people and PFF people act like this is a top 5 OL. It isn’t.
    • Tyron Smith- the once greatest player on this team has turned into a constant injury waiting to happen. He’s missed a whopping 32 games the last 5 seasons, and hasn’t played a full season since 2015. We need to stop pretending this is working.
    • Tyler Biadz- gets manhandled on a regular basis. Thankfully, Connor “Holding” Williams will be gone next year. But Biadz either needs more help if he’s going stay at C.
    • La’El Collins- like Smith has missed a ton of games- some to injury some to his own stupidity. But he’s not been that great at RT. Maybe he could play LG again as he did back in 2016. But he either needs to get better or we say adios.
    • Zack Martin is still great. But he alone doesn’t make this a great OL.
  • RB and QB-
    • Zeke Elliott- the highest paid RB in the league is killing the cap, barely producing any kind of reliable yardage and just looks old and slow. Tony Pollard should have had more snaps last year but the Jones family sees him as a family member not a football player on their team. He needs to be released.
    • Dak- I’m not a Dak “hater”. I still think he’s capable of leading this team to a SB. Lots of QBs with less talent have already done it. But he’s never going to be a “carry the team on his back” kind of QB.
Bottom line Cowboys fans: This offense’s talent is seriously overrated. We need to seriously upgrade the OL, shave some cap space off the WR and RB positions and draft some guys that can help immediately. Dak’s contract will be restructured.
Coming un to the year on paper they had the ability to be. We were all saying it the first 7 weeks of the year because they looked like it. Minus the Center and LG. If the team played like that in the later half of the season they would still be saying it. Would like to see what a real OC could do

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Use weapons resources as trade bait with the goal being to batten down the O-line.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
I don't think our offense as a whole is overrated. There really is a lot of talent there. Injuries to Smith and Zeke Gallup Cooper hurt a lot. Moore's inexperience and McCarthy unwilling to step in or help gameplan on offense hurt. Dak getting injured and it messing with his head hurt. Mistakes hurt.

Correctable stuff, upgrades still to be made.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would argue that it's not so much the 'big' contract that kills it's more to do with our constant CAP crisis (and can kicking) which results in long contracts that look ok at the time (with little guaranteed money) but then get abused by deferments resulting in expensive/guaranteed contracts at the back end of the contract long after the player has become an asset.

Because of the weak East we have been able to kick the can and still be in with a chance of the playoffs. 2021 showed us that this strategy has serious flaws when it comes to competing with play-off caliber teams and that we may need to break the cycle, even if this means the roster in 2022.

Luckily we are in the position to reset in 2022 (resulting in a much stronger 2023) and starting with Jaylon's release I wonder if that was the start of things to come.
Yesssss

I've been saying the same thing. Take a year and dump salaries and get everything corrected. It would make us much, much better in 23.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The situation with this offense is situational. If they get good yardage on 1st down, as they were in the first part of the season, they are a different offense than when they get backed up.

The Raiders led the league in penalties every year they won a ring but they could overcome that. The Cowboys cannot overcome that because of the OL and the ability of the DC's to bring pressure with 4.

The Cowboys are like the Browns, Cards and Niners. As long as the threat of the run is there, they are a very good offense but once that is removed, the warts show up.

Stats are a losing comeback. What were those stats against the better defenses and teams and in the losses?

Mannix

Reaction score
I agree with this entire post; especially about the receivers. Lamb has the talent to be the #1 target but his indifferent route running and concentration lapses are troubling. It also needs to be recalled that Dak threw for 375 yards on Thanksgiving with both Lamb and Cooper out. The drop off from them to Cedrick Wilson, Gallup, and Noah Brown may not be as steep as we think.
Noah Brown couldn't start for Iowa....and that is saying something!!!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Even first career game starter Cooper Rush hung 325 and 2 tds on the Vikings, that were better than the worst of teams.....

The Cowboys scored 20 points, 5 fewer than the Vikings allowed on average.

Defense won that game.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yes...probably overrated.
....which is the norm in Dallas....

but in a salary cap era, Dallas' overall offensive group surrounding Dak IS one the better groups in the league.

It is all relative to other teams.

Just go team to team and look at the full combo of WR/TEs, Oline, and RB tandems. The full combination.
Then get back to me.

Dallas isnt #1 in any of those three categories, but is in the top 5-10 range in all of them.

shabazz

Reaction score
The Cowboys scored 20 points, 5 fewer than the Vikings allowed on average.

Defense won that game.

Over 450 yards of offense and contributions from special teams as well......I would say all 3 phases performed nicely...although the defense was spectacular in holding Cook to under 80 yards and Cousins to under 200 yards

A complete team win

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yes...probably overrated.
....which is the norm in Dallas....

but in a salary cap era, Dallas' overall offensive group surrounding Dak IS one the better groups in the league.

It is all relative to other teams.

Just go team to team and look at the full combo of WR/TEs, Oline, and RB tandems. The full combination.
Then get back to me.

Dallas isnt #1 in any of those three categories, but is in the top 5-10 range in all of them.
I think you're right.

But they also lead the league in look good on paper types who don't really want to win bad enough.

Up to the coach, who is never anyone to be afraid of, to somehow overcome.

Wonder why it doesn't add up when it counts.

Every year they are in contention, they get beat by a team that wants it more.

Think McCarthy changes that? Hahaha.

Already proven.