We needed this loss.

Boysboy

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1905352 said:
What was last year?

Or the year before that, and the year before that?

In '03, we got our tails handed to us by the Eagles at The Linc, with the NFCE on the line.

In '04, the minute we got back into the WC race, we lost to the SAINTS at home, after spotting them 10-0 early.

In '05, we lost TWO BIG NFCE games to the Giants(which costed us the division), and the Skins(which costed us a playoff spot).

In '06, we lost to the Saints(which costed us the #2 seed) and the Eagles at home on xmas(which costed us the division).

This year, we almost hand the Packers HFA by losing to the lowly Eagles at home, but nonetheless hand it back to them by losing to yet another NFCE opponent.

Dude-I am TIRED of going through this ****e every single ******* year.:bang2:

Boysboy

Reaction score
otero1;1905505 said:
Shango's example was pretty good. How Denver was tearing it up in the regular season and Jacksonville came to Denver and beat em' in the Divisional Round. Terrell Davis said it fueled them for those back-2-back Super Bowls.

Tha true, but it's not like Denver went 10 years of late season meltdowns + early exits in playoffs like we are now.

And yes-I remember after that Jax loss, the entire national sports media all but wrote off Elway's window to win a SB as SEALED SHUT. Oh wait...wasn't TOM COUGHLIN coaching Jax that year?;)

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
When it comes to moral victories, i think its safe to say we have a dynasty on our hands.

Boysboy

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1905691 said:
When it comes to moral victories, i think its safe to say we have a dynasty on our hands.

Or here's the worst case scenerio-we become next year's Baltimore Ravens, who were 13-3 a year prior and made an early exit in the playoffs(the best case scenerio being the Colts who went from the #1 early exit to winning the SB as a WC).

Although I doubt the WCS myself.

GhettoxCowboy

Dem Boyz
Reaction score
otero1;1905344 said:
Enough about the coaching, etc. We needed this loss. A loss like this for a player will not break him. It will make him say "I never EVER want to feel that way again". That loss is going to bring us to a new level.

Why would any fan of a team say we needed the loss, don't get it.. :laugh2:

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
windward;1905502 said:
Nah, people never learn from mistakes, only when they succeed.

You can learn from mistakes, but losing in the playoffs is not "needed".

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
windward;1905348 said:
Be prepared to duck. Some people are going to read only the thread title and rip you for it.

Not me. I believe this loss, as bitter as it may be, could be a blessing in disguise.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Bach;1905882 said:
You can learn from mistakes, but losing in the playoffs is not "needed".
Never said it was. Doesn't mean we cannot learn anything from it.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
windward;1907190 said:
Never said it was. Doesn't mean we cannot learn anything from it.

But, I thought this thread was titled "we needed this loss", not "we can learn from this loss."

I disagree we needed it, I agree we can learn from it.

Asklesko

Reaction score
So, a loss that broke the hearts of millions of fans and turned the Cowboys into the laughingstock of the league was needed? Hmm...

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Bach;1907206 said:
But, I thought this thread was titled "we needed this loss", not "we can learn from this loss."

I disagree we needed it, I agree we can learn from it.
Well, I wasn't the OP.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
otero1;1905344 said:
Enough about the coaching, etc. We needed this loss. A loss like this for a player will not break him. It will make him say "I never EVER want to feel that way again". That loss is going to bring us to a new level.

I thought that's what last year's playoff loss was for...:confused:

This team had Super Bowl material...well almost.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Dallas could have won the game and still learned lessons about themselves. Whether as individual players, a team or management. They can win and still see which areas are weak and which are strong.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
joseephuss;1907355 said:
Dallas could have won the game and still learned lessons about themselves. Whether as individual players, a team or management. They can win and still see which areas are weak and which are strong.
I'm going to maintain that whie the loss was not "needed", per se,that we can use this opportunity to learn fro our screwups during this year's playoffs and end of season.

joseephuss

Reaction score
windward;1907361 said:
I'm going to maintain that whie the loss was not "needed", per se,that we can use this opportunity to learn fro our screwups during this year's playoffs and end of season.

That is a good way to put it.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Bach;1905358 said:
I guess we needed last years too?

I could buy maybe "needing" a loss like we had against Philly to wake us up. But a divisional playoff loss as the #1 seed, just to send the team a message is beyond ridiculous.

Very well put. We were 13-3. When you're that good over a season, you should win at least one freaking playoff game.:hammer:

Boysboy

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;1907928 said:
Very well put. We were 13-3. When you're that good over a season, you should win at least one freaking playoff game.:hammer:

Upon further review, we probably would have been the BEST matchup scenerio for the Pats...

1. Our nickel back, Jacques Reeves, makes Roy look like a shutdown corner. The Pats would have picked on him(as well as Roy) all game long.

2. While our pass rushing edges are outstanding(THIS would have given the Pats' vulnerable OTs fits), our inside pass rush IS soft(this is something that's given Brady the most fits, but again, we don't have it).

3. Our inside run D is also pretty soft, partly thanks to Fergy's injury, and partly thanks to Akin's liability.

4. Belichick would have picked up on our inconsistent OL play(that's happened in the last month of the season) like the Giants did in the 2nd half.

Also-Laurence Malroney and Richard Seymour didn't play in our Oct meeting. Sure, we didn't have a couple of key guys, but Seymour is their best player on D.

Not trying to sugar coat this, but at the same time, if Wade says he KNOWS what weaknesses we have et al like he did in his PC, I trust him, as we've seen some glaring ones.