We only drafted backups!!

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
masomenos85;2055651 said:
I think Branden Albert could have come in and started at LG. And that's it. He's the only player that was drafted close to 22 who could have started for us and made an impact on an every down basis.

Agreed LG is pretty much the only spot not definitely entrenched

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
BigDFan5;2055645 said:
Truth is some people would have complained if we got DMac and DRC

Considering it'd probably take our entire draft to do that, I'm not sure I'd be too happy either. :laugh2:

superpunk

Reaction score
BigDFan5;2055655 said:
Phillips no, Schmitt yes but we would have had even more complainers taking him that high lol

Phillips would probably start. Or at least really compete for the position, given how nondescript Roy has been for the last 24 or so games. He could play FS, and Hamlin could move to strong, or vice versa.

Our two first rounders were fine. They'll compete for big playing time.

But there's no excuse for the process that led up to the Bennet pick.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
superpunk;2055680 said:
Phillips would probably start. Or at least really compete for the position, given how nondescript Roy has been for the last 24 or so games. He could play FS, and Hamlin could move to strong, or vice versa.

Our two first rounders were fine. They'll compete for big playing time.

But there's no excuse for the process that led up to the Bennet pick.

As I said in other places, I didnt care to pick a TE but he was BPA, and people always say they want BPA lol

Also Mickey and Norm on the ticket were saying we traded Fasano because we felt Curtis had passed him, this was BEFORE we took a TE so they were not trying to justify the pick

As for Phillips I disagree he would be a nickel safety this year IMO

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Plus, most who are griping about drafting a backup (Felix) aren't really complaining about Jenkins (who is not going to start either).

Now, if they move Henry to FS, then Jenkins will be the third corner and Jerry did call that a starter... but still, he won't be one of our top 2 CB's either way and I think Jenkins was a HELL of a pickup at 25.

With Newman, Henry, Pacman and Jenkins... say goodbye to the matchup problems we had last year. :)

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
So many people have complaints but no names? I am shocked

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BigDFan5;2055809 said:
So many people have complaints but no names? I am shocked
Don't hold your breath waiting on a valid list of names. You'll turn blue. ;)

EndGame

Reaction score
So we drafted a backup runningback. So what? Our runningback went to the Pro Bowl last year!!

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
DallasEast;2055818 said:
Don't hold your breath waiting on a valid list of names. You'll turn blue. ;)

With all the *****ing I was sure this thread would blow up man, really I was LOL

cnhnyy

Reaction score
Devon Thomas could be a starter from day 1. Our WRs need serious upgrades.

Mike Jenkins could be a starter in the mid season.

J Charles would have filled the role of 'Backup" as good as F Jones, with a much less price tag.

We could have all three today. Instead, we have Felix "Sherman Williams" Jones, M "Fasano II" Bennett and Jenkins who we had to trade up to get.

Jenkins (#22), Thomas (#28), and Charles (#61) would have been great and we would still have our fifth round pick.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
cnhnyy;2055872 said:
Devon Thomas could be a starter from day 1. Our WRs need serious upgrades.
So Devin Thomas who fell all the way to the second would beat out Glenn or Crayton out of training camp his rookie year? Knowing that Wrs take 3 years to blossom you believe this?

Mike Jenkins could be a starter in the mid season.

Maybe, but with the 3 in front of him I doubt it
J Charles would have filled the role of 'Backup" as good as F Jones, with a much less price tag.

Nowhere near as good as Felix thats ridiculous

sago1

Reaction score
My problem is we so often use the excuse that any rookie we start won't be a starter; result, we don't draft a WR. Heck, same thing applies to a QB; very few QBs are immediate starters so why don't all NFL teams stop drafting QBs. Most teams realize you gotta draft a WR or a QB at some point and give them time to develop. TO will be 40 before Jerry gets off his butt and finally pushes the button to draft a WR; he'd rather pay big money for a vet WR but what happens if he can't get the other team to trade that player to him.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
sago1;2055891 said:
My problem is we so often use the excuse that any rookie we start won't be a starter; result, we don't draft a WR. Heck, same thing applies to a QB; very few QBs are immediate starters so why don't all NFL teams stop drafting QBs. Most teams realize you gotta draft a WR or a QB at some point and give them time to develop. TO will be 40 before Jerry gets off his butt and finally pushes the button to draft a WR; he'd rather pay big money for a vet WR but what happens if he can't get the other team to trade that player to him.

We will have Roy Williams next season when he is a FA so I am not worried about it.

I have no problem with those wanting a WR, My thing is the ones freaking oiut in the 2nd round about taking backups as if Earl Bennett or Early Doucet would be immediate starters

jjktkk

Reaction score
theebs;2055575 said:
I wonder if they are complaining like this on the packers board....not saying you are complaining.....just the overall tone of the board tonight.

The strength of their team is the wr and its depth and they took another one.

How does he help their horrendous safeties and nickel corner.

FYI, the Packers drafted Auburn cb Patrick Lee for their nickel corner.

cnhnyy

Reaction score
Even though they might not be starters right away, CB/WR/LB/DEs tend to open up space quickly and they can become starters in a year or two.

However, when you have YOUNG pro-bowler at RB/TE, it is hard for the rookies to get the fchance to start. If we sign MBIII (26 years old), he is going to start for next five years and we just spent a No.1 on a career backup then. Witten is also locked for four more year and our new No.2 is destined to be backup, at least as a cowboy.

That is exactly startegy we used to draft Sherman Williams and all these career backups to our pro-bowlers in mid 90's.

wileedog

Reaction score
BigDFan5;2055888 said:
So Devin Thomas who fell all the way to the second would beat out Glenn or Crayton out of training camp his rookie year? Knowing that Wrs take 3 years to blossom you believe this?

In fairness, I think they are being asinine to count on Glenn for anything this year considering his age and knee condition. If they passed on ANYONE because of Glenn then yes, I think they screwed up.

Crayton is what he is, but I think he may have hit his ceiling last years as a good #3. He's not a 2.

MONT17

Reaction score
Drafting starters does not mean they will be starting next week... drafting players who can become starters is what drafting is all about!

In the early 90s after Jimmy built a team by drafting guys who could start... guys like Leon Lett and Darren Woodson didnt start as rooks but forced their way into the starting lineup!

Felix Jones is a parttime RB and always will be! No, Mendenhal cant beat out MB3 but if we lost MB3 via contract or injury Ill bet everything I own that Mendenhal would be a better starter over Felix.

Bennett may b a starter but he is a project (another second round project) TEs are a dime a dozen and 10 to 12 come out every year... Gates was undrafted and Witten was a day 2 pick whats the rush to draft a TE there!

Jenkins has the potenial to start with or without Pacman and no matter what happens w Newmans contract... Thats drafting a starter!

I think people r up in arms because of Bennett... I like the Bennett pick but not with a second round pick! I wish we could have moved up to get a WR Glenn is oft injured and old.... Crayton is zero threat and the rest of the guys r just as bad!

Devin Thomas and Sweed and other WRs taken in the second round would have had a chance to Start on this team...

Oh well, its Jerrys team... if he wants to draft backups like he did in the mid 90s then let him! I will still buy Tix!!!