We only drafted backups!!

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
sago1;2055891 said:
My problem is we so often use the excuse that any rookie we start won't be a starter; result, we don't draft a WR. Heck, same thing applies to a QB; very few QBs are immediate starters so why don't all NFL teams stop drafting QBs. Most teams realize you gotta draft a WR or a QB at some point and give them time to develop. TO will be 40 before Jerry gets off his butt and finally pushes the button to draft a WR; he'd rather pay big money for a vet WR but what happens if he can't get the other team to trade that player to him.

Teams that are set to "win now" dont draft QB's.

If we were in a different situation, and wanted to take time to develop a WR, we would take one. But we're in a win now situation and have the luxury with a talented team of being picky with our draft picks and taking players that will help out immediately.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Well I hope no one thought we were drafting starters in the first place. Where would they have started in the first place?

We drafted for what we needed. And with Bennett, Hawkins, Doucett, and Manningham still on the board we still have a shot to get a real nice WR in the third round.

COfWaBnOY

Reaction score
BigDFan5;2055567 said:
I keep seeing this repeaterd over and over, the only problem is nobody says who we could have gotten that could have started. Mendenhall? Nope Barber is our starter there, and WR in round 2? Nope not gonna beat out Glenn or Crayton. So please tell us all who we could have gotten at our draft spots that would be starting, need 3 names, one for each pick we made.

Facts are we needed backups because our starting positions are locked up.

When you've got 13 Pro-Bowlers out of 22 starters on your team (that's 9 left) ..... that will happen .... :rolleyes:

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
COfWaBnOY;2056139 said:
When you've got 13 Pro-Bowlers out of 22 starters on your team (that's 9 left) ..... that will happen .... :rolleyes:

that was kinda BigD's point.

ReturnToGlory

Reaction score
MONT17;2055983 said:
Drafting starters does not mean they will be starting next week... drafting players who can become starters is what drafting is all about!

In the early 90s after Jimmy built a team by drafting guys who could start... guys like Leon Lett and Darren Woodson didnt start as rooks but forced their way into the starting lineup!

Felix Jones is a parttime RB and always will be! No, Mendenhal cant beat out MB3 but if we lost MB3 via contract or injury Ill bet everything I own that Mendenhal would be a better starter over Felix.

Bennett may b a starter but he is a project (another second round project) TEs are a dime a dozen and 10 to 12 come out every year... Gates was undrafted and Witten was a day 2 pick whats the rush to draft a TE there!

Jenkins has the potenial to start with or without Pacman and no matter what happens w Newmans contract... Thats drafting a starter!

I think people r up in arms because of Bennett... I like the Bennett pick but not with a second round pick! I wish we could have moved up to get a WR Glenn is oft injured and old.... Crayton is zero threat and the rest of the guys r just as bad!

Devin Thomas and Sweed and other WRs taken in the second round would have had a chance to Start on this team...

Oh well, its Jerrys team... if he wants to draft backups like he did in the mid 90s then let him! I will still buy Tix!!!

Can't agree with you more! When Jerry started to sign the likes of Crayton to a long term deal, I was getting worried that he was satisfied with our roster and will start drafting backups not potential starters in the draft. Jerry should understand that our starters won't play forever. And this is the salary cap era. You can't keep them all.

This happened in the mid 90's after Jimmy left. Remember Sherman Williams! I am hoping history doesn't repeat itself.

The frickin' steelers did exactly what we should have done. Mendenhall and Sweed on the first day. Made me sick when they drafted Mendenhall.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
This draft reminds me of the drafts in the mid-90's...you remember those Sherman Williams, Shante Carver, David LaFleur, Kenny Wheaton....the drafts when Jerrah got a little cute instead of drafting the best available player.

He will rue the day he past on Rashard Mendenhall for Felix Jones, I will bet my left testical on it!!

ReturnToGlory

Reaction score
remember Kendall Watkins in the second round after we drafted Sherman Williams. And followed by Shane Hannah in the second round. Three 2nd round picks just thrown away.
:bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

jbsg02

Reaction score
Mike Jenkins could very well develop into a starter, maybe as early as 09. Felix Jones pick kinda reminds me of the Sherman Williams pick, even though I was pretty young then. That whole year was drafting for backups if I remember correctly

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
jjktkk;2055923 said:
FYI, the Packers drafted Auburn cb Patrick Lee for their nickel corner.

Yeah I know that. But not with any of their first picks. That is there most pressing need and they took jordy nelson after trading down, then brohm.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Nice BigD

Not one person has come up with anything but silly excuses.

ZB9

Reaction score
name any player in this draft that would probably be a starter on this team. who? where? i dont see any

and dont mention any WR, because that position usually takes a couple of years of adjustment in the NFL. The young WRs already on the ranch have just as good a chance of being a factor as any rookie WR in this draft would. It is not a deep WR draft.

teams end up having bad drafts when they draft strictly for need. Besides getting the obvious need of all-purpose back/kick returner...the Cowboys seem to have a best player available strategy in this draft, and that usually leads to succesful drafts. It is cool that this team has a talented enough roster that they can go the BPA route.

ndanger

Reaction score
cnhnyy;2055872 said:
Devon Thomas could be a starter from day 1. Our WRs need serious upgrades.

Mike Jenkins could be a starter in the mid season.

J Charles would have filled the role of 'Backup" as good as F Jones, with a much less price tag.

We could have all three today. Instead, we have Felix "Sherman Williams" Jones, M "Fasano II" Bennett and Jenkins who we had to trade up to get.

Jenkins (#22), Thomas (#28), and Charles (#61) would have been great and we would still have our fifth round pick.

An added bonus to drafting Charles would be leading the league in fumbles.yea fumbles.

captahab

Reaction score
I dont see a upgrade at any position with these three picks.Im still nauseated by the whole thing.Its a sad day for the organization.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
captahab;2056644 said:
I dont see a upgrade at any position with these three picks.Im still nauseated by the whole thing.Its a sad day for the organization.

You don't think Felix Jones is better than Alonzo Coleman, who's never played a down in the NFL?

You don't think Mike Jenkins is better than Alan Ball, who's barely seen the field?

You don't think Martellus Bennett is better than Tony Curtis, who's caught 3 passes for 18 yards in his entire career?

NinePointOh

Reaction score
cnhnyy;2055872 said:
Devon Thomas could be a starter from day 1. Our WRs need serious upgrades.

Jerry and the Cowboys' scouts said there wasn't a receiver in the draft who could have started. The fact that nobody took a receiver in the first round, and the fact that Thomas in particular fell so far leads me to believe them over you.

J Charles would have filled the role of 'Backup" as good as F Jones, with a much less price tag.

Not every "fast" runningback is identical. Charles is a straight-line runner who goes down easily, doesn't block well, and doesn't get involved in the passing game. There's a reason one had a first round grade and the other is going to be a day 2 pick.

We could have all three today. Instead, we have Felix "Sherman Williams" Jones, M "Fasano II" Bennett and Jenkins who we had to trade up to get.

Yes, because every player we draft is destined to be only as successful as the last guy we took at that position in a similar round. That's exactly how we should determine our draft strategy.

Boysboy

Reaction score
theebs;2055575 said:
I wonder if they are complaining like this on the packers board....not saying you are complaining.....just the overall tone of the board tonight.

The strength of their team is the wr and its depth and they took another one.

How does he help their horrendous safeties and nickel corner.

If I were an Eagles fan-I would be pulling my hair out in outrage.

Seriously-drafting a DT when you have Patterson/Bunkley set for LIFE?? Thinking some 5"9 receiver who STRUGGLED in his SENIOR year will be your life-line??

And worst of all-they're STILL stuck with (a disgruntled)Lito Shepperd. HAHAHA-they think he'll act cohesively with another corner whom they gave $$$$$$$$$$ to??

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
BigDFan5;2055567 said:
I keep seeing this repeaterd over and over, the only problem is nobody says who we could have gotten that could have started. Mendenhall? Nope Barber is our starter there, and WR in round 2? Nope not gonna beat out Glenn or Crayton. So please tell us all who we could have gotten at our draft spots that would be starting, need 3 names, one for each pick we made.

Facts are we needed backups because our starting positions are locked up.

I have some problems with the picks but I still agree with you. The starting spots are all locked up. Conceiveably Jenkins could start in the forseeable future under a couple of different scenarios, but basically there's no positions open.