News: We owe the Cowboys defense an apology

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am still in wait and see mode.

I think we have shown we can be better than expected, we have also shown we can still be better than expected but not great.

Want to see how we do with some other players coming back. I have already said I don't think they will make much difference and in some cases (spencer) doubt it will last long but still want to see how it works out over a few more games.

I think the best thing for this defense so far has been the offense and it's running game.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

I think we have shown we can be better than expected, we have also shown we can still be better than expected but not great.

Want to see how we do with some other players coming back. I have already said I don't think they will make much difference and in some cases (spencer) doubt it will last long but still want to see how it works out over a few more games.

I think the best thing for this defense so far has been the offense and it's running game.

Yes. As for apologizing to this defense . . . ah mean they are doing an adequate job, what they are getting paid for.

Let us canonize these mens at the END of the season, not after 1/4 of the season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know this does not mean much. But what QB's are coming up should we fear. Yes, a teams, OL, RB, WR still comes into it. But a Brees type QB?

Fitzpatrick is good or bad, but not great, but capable of getting it done at times.
Wilson is a good QB but yet to show he can carry the team by himself. I fear him more though than fitzpatrick. mostly becaue they have a complete team, and are the champs.
Eli...will need to see how he continues to improve with new offense, but he's not a bum either at times.
Cousins, showing he's not all that, but still can have a good game, just because of the rest of the offensiveive weapons. Or will RG3 be back by then.
Palmer, if he's back, but he has some weapons too.
Bortles, a rookie with a bad team.
Again, eli
Foles. he's back to earth a bit with a bad OL, but this game is too far away to say.
Cutler, he's been looking awful at times
Foles again
Luck, now that will be a problem
then Cousins or RG3 again.

So really no one, except Luck. Unless one of those QB's really gets hot more than anyone expects.
But also our defense should continue to improve too.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's a long season. And we looked ok defensively at this point last year, too. Taking the ball away, but giving up yards. But, hey, all we can do is appreciate it while it lasts and hope that the fact that we're younger and not as dependent on any particular defensive players works in our favor over the long haul.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes. As for apologizing to this defense . . . ah mean they are doing an adequate job, what they are getting paid for.

Let us canonize these mens at the END of the season, not after 1/4 of the season.

what? you wrote them off from the get go. I don't think anyone needs to apologize but come on, lets not canonize them not let wait? where was the wait when you were blasting them claiming they would be the worse defense? lol Yeah I thought so

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's a long season. And we looked ok defensively at this point last year, too. Taking the ball away, but giving up yards. But, hey, all we can do is appreciate it while it lasts and hope that the fact that we're younger and not as dependent on any particular defensive players works in our favor over the long haul.

True, I expect this group to have it's ups and down but I also expect to see them learn and improve as the season continues. A game like the NO just helps build confidence in themselves and in Rod defensive system. Lot easier to work when you believe in what you are doing and seeing results

Lonestar94

Reaction score

I think we are around average. One thing we got going for us right now is that we probably have the best 4-3 MLB in the game right now.

DiResta

Reaction score

before we hand out the awards let me link you to another article that suggest we should prepare for heartache sooner or later.

I'll give some spoilers, this time last year the worst defense in history, our defense was better than this years defense especially on 3rd down. scary. there are no guarantee and this team is different but the defense is already sliding badly in stats, 32nd now in yards allowed per play and others are in 20s.

it is way to early to know what the team can do but the defense will be the weakness until they can pressure qb. thats why as happy as that game made me feel I try to chill and not get to carried away. beat Houston and Seattle and it will be huge for my confidence.

MathewSK81

Reaction score
They are playing better than expected. However, I think a big part of it is the running game. We're eating up a lot of clock on offense which has done 2 things: 1 - it's harder for the other team's offense to get in rhythm while sitting for long stretches on the sideline, 2 - it allows our defense to play rested.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
before we hand out the awards let me link you to another article that suggest we should prepare for heartache sooner or later.

I'll give some spoilers, this time last year the worst defense in history, our defense was better than this years defense especially on 3rd down. scary. there are no guarantee and this team is different but the defense is already sliding badly in stats, 32nd now in yards allowed per play and others are in 20s.

it is way to early to know what the team can do but the defense will be the weakness until they can pressure qb. thats why as happy as that game made me feel I try to chill and not get to carried away. beat Houston and Seattle and it will be huge for my confidence.

Yes give up yards they are also 10th in points allowed. Now would I would take fewer points allowed than yards any day of the week and twice on sunday. No doubt this is not a dominating top ranked defense at this stage but they are winning important battles and they are making plays to help this team win games.

Proximo

Reaction score
Regardless of the run game, O line, time of possession, etc, I think after 4 games it's safe to say this defense has exceeded expectations. There were "analysts" who said we'd not only have the worst defense in the league this year, but likely the worst defense ever. So far not even close.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
It's still a small sample, but what really helped our defense against the Saints was getting that big first half lead. Many games last year we were behind in the first half and the offense had to play catch up in the second half. Say what you will, I think defenses have a definite advantage when playing with a lead than not. This is the formula used in the 90's to great success.

Of course the ground game and new play action success off of that ground game can help us get those first half leads.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
People act like the Cowboys have never had a solid defense the first couple of weeks of the season just for it to play terrible towards the end. Let's take a wait and see approach. It wasn't long ago where Austin Davis just lit us up for 300+ yards. I will say though its exceeding my expectations as is the team as a whole. But after 4 games? A bit early. If the Texans torch them than what? We need to take our apology back lol?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Lots of football left and we haven't hit the tougher part of the schedule. A pat on the back is all they get from me so far.

DiResta

Reaction score
Yes give up yards they are also 10th in points allowed. Now would I would take fewer points allowed than yards any day of the week and twice on sunday. No doubt this is not a dominating top ranked defense at this stage but they are winning important battles and they are making plays to help this team win games.

the point is, they were better October 1st of last year and that defense was the worst ever with Ware and Hatcher AND Lee. so maybe we should wait more than 4 games to give apology. as for fight and effort I love the defense players they are all heart but it might take more than heart to win.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's still a small sample, but what really helped our defense against the Saints was getting that big first half lead. Many games last year we were behind in the first half and the offense had to play catch up in the second half. Say what you will, I think defenses have a definite advantage when playing with a lead than not. This is the formula used in the 90's to great success.

Of course the ground game and new play action success off of that ground game can help us get those first half leads.

True but defense still had to go out there and stop the Saints and they did the got an int deep in saints end of the field and offense scores 2 plays later. This was an offense that many claimed Dallas had no chance of stopping and they did. NO put up 14 in the 4th outside of that Dallas stopped them.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Lots of football left and we haven't hit the tougher part of the schedule. A pat on the back is all they get from me so far.

Well i'll say this. Initially when I saw our 1st six games were going to include the Aint's, 9ers, Rams and Seahawks....I thought this could get ugly out of the gate.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score

Exactly how I feel.

They've been better than I thought they would but I'm not sold completely yet that they'll continue to be at least average. We need a pass rush on a consistent basis which we don't seem to be able to get even close to doing.