We want Dak Prescott & Get it done with less

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In an interview Wednesday Jethro provided his insight to how they’re managing the Cap , what they’re waiting on to begin negotiations on Prescott and Lambs contracts and their lack of involvement in FA amongst the outpouring of criticism in offseason and speculation from no action in contract talks.

Jerry called CeeDee Lamb "one of the best players in the NFL" and was demonstrative that he wants Dak Prescott as his quarterback Tuesday afternoon. Now, it's time for the Cowboys to pay their own so that they can be proactive and better plan out their salary cap for 2025 and beyond. That would allow them to minimize the chance of having another "get it done with less" offseason.

One of the more telling remarks from the Dallas front office is what Stephen Jones admitted: "the elephant in the room is our playoff success." Rather their lack thereof, If the Cowboys had made the NFC Championship Game last season, there's a chance Prescott's extension may have been signed shortly after the Super Bowl concluded.

We feel like we can do it with this roster. ... We just feel strongly that because we have had success in the drafts. ... So our priorities have been historically because we've had success in the draft is to then pay your own. ... Now when you're talking about big contracts, like a Dak, like a CeeDee, like a Micah, those things don't happen overnight. ... When you're paying the type of money we ultimately will or would have to to keep them to a Dak, to a Micah, to a CeeDee, you want to make sure you get it right."

Prescott himself said on Friday that "real talks"have yet to happen in the negotiation process, something Jones doesn't think is a necessity to getting a deal done, essentially admitting that once the Cowboys become comfortable with the going rate for a top 12 NFL quarterback that they could get this contract done quickly.

Prescott and the Cowboys may end up getting a deal done before the start of the 2024 season simply because Jones says he is motivated to keep his three-time Pro Bowl quarterback long-term.

Surprisingly, the Jones family isn't worried Prescott's asking price could increase if other quarterbacks like the Packers' Jordan Love or the Lions' Jared Goff, also entering the final year of their current contracts, sign new deals first because of his knowledge of the NFL's financial situation.

Who in the world would think that we're not working on it?" Jerry said. "I work on it at two in the morning sometimes. What your actual question is why don't you have something done and negotiated and put in the drawer? We'd like to see some more leaves fall. We'd like to see some more action. .... "You may give money to somebody that you shouldn't have given it to. ... To say that you're not working on it or going is not the right answer. The difference is the style. It's on your mind. It'd be madness not to know that the contracts are ahead. .... You got trouble with what the timing is around here because I'm not ready to go."

Full story below..But basically Jethro is waiting it out to see “ where the leaves fall” with other Market Price deals coming up so he doesn’t over pay. All indications are still intent on resigning him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...vmEjFGudP4rJJNjDggxYNf_LT#lvgq0yvq0mm7pavaa42

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Nobody is fooled by Jerry, Dak will give Jerry a deadline, and he will give Dak a Major league baseball deal, 10 years 700 million lol

Brax

Reaction score
In an interview Wednesday Jethro provided his insight to how they’re managing the Cap , what they’re waiting on to begin negotiations on Prescott and Lambs contracts and their lack of involvement in FA amongst the outpouring of criticism in offseason and speculation from no action in contract talks.

Jerry called CeeDee Lamb "one of the best players in the NFL" and was demonstrative that he wants Dak Prescott as his quarterback Tuesday afternoon. Now, it's time for the Cowboys to pay their own so that they can be proactive and better plan out their salary cap for 2025 and beyond. That would allow them to minimize the chance of having another "get it done with less" offseason.

One of the more telling remarks from the Dallas front office is what Stephen Jones admitted: "the elephant in the room is our playoff success." Rather their lack thereof, If the Cowboys had made the NFC Championship Game last season, there's a chance Prescott's extension may have been signed shortly after the Super Bowl concluded.

We feel like we can do it with this roster. ... We just feel strongly that because we have had success in the drafts. ... So our priorities have been historically because we've had success in the draft is to then pay your own. ... Now when you're talking about big contracts, like a Dak, like a CeeDee, like a Micah, those things don't happen overnight. ... When you're paying the type of money we ultimately will or would have to to keep them to a Dak, to a Micah, to a CeeDee, you want to make sure you get it right."

Prescott himself said on Friday that "real talks"have yet to happen in the negotiation process, something Jones doesn't think is a necessity to getting a deal done, essentially admitting that once the Cowboys become comfortable with the going rate for a top 12 NFL quarterback that they could get this contract done quickly.

Prescott and the Cowboys may end up getting a deal done before the start of the 2024 season simply because Jones says he is motivated to keep his three-time Pro Bowl quarterback long-term.

Surprisingly, the Jones family isn't worried Prescott's asking price could increase if other quarterbacks like the Packers' Jordan Love or the Lions' Jared Goff, also entering the final year of their current contracts, sign new deals first because of his knowledge of the NFL's financial situation.

Who in the world would think that we're not working on it?" Jerry said. "I work on it at two in the morning sometimes. What your actual question is why don't you have something done and negotiated and put in the drawer? We'd like to see some more leaves fall. We'd like to see some more action. .... "You may give money to somebody that you shouldn't have given it to. ... To say that you're not working on it or going is not the right answer. The difference is the style. It's on your mind. It'd be madness not to know that the contracts are ahead. .... You got trouble with what the timing is around here because I'm not ready to go."

Full story below..But basically Jethro is waiting it out to see “ where the leaves fall” with other Market Price deals coming up so he doesn’t over pay. All indications are still intent on resigning him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...vmEjFGudP4rJJNjDggxYNf_LT#lvgq0yvq0mm7pavaa42
What a front office pay 3 guys who failed come crunch time top market or market setting money then fill out your roster with jags and draft all pros so you can pay the the top 3 or 4 guys to choke yearly, what a brilliant way to build a team

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
What a front office pay 3 guys who failed come crunch time top market or market setting money then fill out your roster with jags and draft all pros so you can pay the the top 3 or 4 guys to choke yearly, what a brilliant way to build a team
honestly i think Dak might be your hero in this...I believe Jerry when he says he wants Dak...I'm starting to think Dak may not want Jerry anymore...

Verdict

Reaction score
honestly i think Dak might be your hero in this...I believe Jerry when he says he wants Dak...I'm starting to think Dak may not want Jerry anymore...
I am not necessarily anti-Dak, but I am leaning more towards I hope we move on from Dak.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

I don't think Dak deserves a market breaking deal.
His lack of success against the better teams and in the playoffs
is the reason why.

CWR

Reaction score
He also says going rate for "top 12 qb." That doesn't sound like someone who really wants Dak. He won't be taking less than top 5 money on a new deal, and probably even more.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He also says going rate for "top 12 qb." That doesn't sound like someone who really wants Dak. He won't be taking less than top 5 money on a new deal, and probably even more.
Yea, I thought “ top 12 qb” reference was key. But that could include top 5.

Reactions: CWR

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You certainly didn't complain when it was being done the same way during the previous QB's and his handful of core teammates' years.

Brax

Reaction score
You certainly didn't complain when it was being done the same way during the previous QB's and his handful of core teammates' years.
Your wrong I was against TR second extension because of the playoffs failures just like Dak, and TR was a better QB than Dak but neither has the big games gene.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score

He already looks like a bafoon for “waiting it out” with Lamb. First the St Brown signing then the AJ Brown signing both set the market price.

Instead of signing Cee Dee and getting a jump he now has to react and you can bet Lamb wants more than both of tbem. NFL Network estimates it’ll cost us 15-20M over the life of his contract.

jgboys1

Reaction score
The fact that that roster was completely outplayed by the Packers in the playoffs, in all phases, says a lot. To keep the ensuing big 3 contracts on the team is not a recipe for success.
I agree. It wouldn’t bother me if all 3 of them were off our team after next season. Those 3 guys, if they are still going to be on the Cowboys after next season, will only hurt more than help us because of the crazy money those 3 will demand and eventually end up getting.