We want Dak Prescott & Get it done with less

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I can understand not getting Daks contract done at this juncture. I can see the reasoning behind it, but what doesn’t make sense is they didn’t make any other moves to help the roster or free up cap space. They probably wouldn’t have done anything anyways if they did. But I am a bit perplexed by CeeDee not getting his extension, some might point to the playoff game, but I’d argue with his age, I’m not so sure his ceiling has even been reached, and he’s probably the safest bet of the 3 continuing to produce throughout the length of an extension at a high level.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What a front office pay 3 guys who failed come crunch time top market or market setting money then fill out your roster with jags and draft all pros so you can pay the the top 3 or 4 guys to choke yearly, what a brilliant way to build a team
Got a point there.

The one guy to keep is Micah. Play him as LB/Edge Rusher. Stop having him try to set the edge on run downs, as he's too small and seems much more interested in rushing from the edge than playing run support.

CeeDee is great, but the history on teams making the SB with an All Pro wr is poor. Just not the best place to invest.

ICP

Reaction score
Well it sure looks like he's gonna have to

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak=Road Kill.

Please wait till the AFC North gets their hands on him. :muttley:

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
The salary cap is not working. It's broken because the QBs are getting paid too much. No way can a team pay these QBs elite money when their not elite. It's not just Dak but it's Cousins, Watson, Jackson, Herbert. Just because it's next man up doesn't mean they deserve to be the highest paid. Until something is done
The only way to for a team to compete for a SB is to follow the 49ers blueprint. Build an elite team and draft young QBs on rookie contracts.
That doesn't make sense. The system ain't broken. When everyone operates under the same circumstances, it doesn't matter what the rules are. The one who manages those rules best, wins. Simple as that.

Jerry and Jerry alone drove us right into that pothole with Dak's contract. Out of fear, because he really believed in Dak, or because of the prospected jersey sales... who knows. But it was a stupid contract (NTC) and now the team is paying for it. But again, he held all the cards but blew it.

No matter the star status, the owners are the employers and the players are the employees. And right now the employees have too much leverage because the employers let them have it. It's in the owners hands to not overpay their QBs.

Flamma

Reaction score
This is a wildcard no one is considering. Jerry is going scorched earth by not paying anyone. Will this light a fire under their butts? It could be. I don't know.

Flamma

Reaction score
The salary cap is not working. It's broken because the QBs are getting paid too much. No way can a team pay these QBs elite money when their not elite. It's not just Dak but it's Cousins, Watson, Jackson, Herbert. Just because it's next man up doesn't mean they deserve to be the highest paid. Until something is done
The only way to for a team to compete for a SB is to follow the 49ers blueprint. Build an elite team and draft young QBs on rookie contracts.
The owners don't care. What they care about is their overall expense. That's where rookie contracts and the cap comes in. That keeps the cost in check. Teams can stop paying QBs that aren't elite at any time. Play them for 4-5 years and then draft another. But they won't do that. Owners have to say no, you're not worth it. Washington did that with Cousins and another team paid him a ton of money.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The one guy to keep is Micah. Play him as LB/Edge Rusher. Stop having him try to set the edge on run downs, as he's too small and seems much more interested in rushing from the edge than playing run support.
If Kneeland is a good run stopper, but limited bend in pass-rush, play him DE and swap him and Micah on 3rd downs.....give him a more 'direct approach' and allowing Micah to come mainly off the edge?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If Kneeland is a good run stopper, but limited bend in pass-rush, play him DE and swap him and Micah on 3rd downs.....give him a more 'direct approach' and allowing Micah to come mainly off the edge?
Micah on edge on 3rd downs and passing downs.

Doesn't seem like Zimmer, but maybe the usual 3-4 4-3 split, where the 3-4 DEs where the 3 are mainly there for run support. Micah is off the line, but is a designated option blitzer on 1st and 2nd down should the offense pass.

Trouble is, I don't see that 3 man run stuffing front. Osa would at least be a good fit as a 3 front DE.

We're just so nothing at true DT. I guess we play Mazi to develop him and hope.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry is so smart..... that was Daks problem...too much help.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It seems like jerry is going to wait till after the 24 season to sign any of the 3 and also MM.
That is the only way he could see improvement in playoffs.
If they sign him/them in august, it wont matter how they do in playoffs !

So I am not going to play along with jerrys games,I will just wait and see what happens.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
honestly i think Dak might be your hero in this...I believe Jerry when he says he wants Dak...I'm starting to think Dak may not want Jerry anymore...
Who's to say that Micah and CeeDee are going to want to stay either? Playing for the Cowboys doesn't have the same prestige that it once had, the notoriety now is coming as much or more because of the team's failures and drama generated than on field success. The Cowboys aren't the only team paying big money and this day and age of social media and marketing, they can continue building their brand just about anywhere, especially if they're playing for legit contenders.

Jerry has provided 3 decades of evidence of what this team has accomplished under his leadership and at some point one of them may decide that they want to make money and have a better chance of winning some playoff games.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
The Jones keep bringing up playoff success when asked about Daks contract. I feel like that's very telling, especially the comment that Stephen made about how Dak has had plenty of help.

Right or wrong, or no matter what I think, all that matters is what the Jones say.

Chasing6

Reaction score
In an interview Wednesday Jethro provided his insight to how they’re managing the Cap , what they’re waiting on to begin negotiations on Prescott and Lambs contracts and their lack of involvement in FA amongst the outpouring of criticism in offseason and speculation from no action in contract talks.

Jerry called CeeDee Lamb "one of the best players in the NFL" and was demonstrative that he wants Dak Prescott as his quarterback Tuesday afternoon. Now, it's time for the Cowboys to pay their own so that they can be proactive and better plan out their salary cap for 2025 and beyond. That would allow them to minimize the chance of having another "get it done with less" offseason.

One of the more telling remarks from the Dallas front office is what Stephen Jones admitted: "the elephant in the room is our playoff success." Rather their lack thereof, If the Cowboys had made the NFC Championship Game last season, there's a chance Prescott's extension may have been signed shortly after the Super Bowl concluded.

We feel like we can do it with this roster. ... We just feel strongly that because we have had success in the drafts. ... So our priorities have been historically because we've had success in the draft is to then pay your own. ... Now when you're talking about big contracts, like a Dak, like a CeeDee, like a Micah, those things don't happen overnight. ... When you're paying the type of money we ultimately will or would have to to keep them to a Dak, to a Micah, to a CeeDee, you want to make sure you get it right."

Prescott himself said on Friday that "real talks"have yet to happen in the negotiation process, something Jones doesn't think is a necessity to getting a deal done, essentially admitting that once the Cowboys become comfortable with the going rate for a top 12 NFL quarterback that they could get this contract done quickly.

Prescott and the Cowboys may end up getting a deal done before the start of the 2024 season simply because Jones says he is motivated to keep his three-time Pro Bowl quarterback long-term.

Surprisingly, the Jones family isn't worried Prescott's asking price could increase if other quarterbacks like the Packers' Jordan Love or the Lions' Jared Goff, also entering the final year of their current contracts, sign new deals first because of his knowledge of the NFL's financial situation.

Who in the world would think that we're not working on it?" Jerry said. "I work on it at two in the morning sometimes. What your actual question is why don't you have something done and negotiated and put in the drawer? We'd like to see some more leaves fall. We'd like to see some more action. .... "You may give money to somebody that you shouldn't have given it to. ... To say that you're not working on it or going is not the right answer. The difference is the style. It's on your mind. It'd be madness not to know that the contracts are ahead. .... You got trouble with what the timing is around here because I'm not ready to go."

Full story below..But basically Jethro is waiting it out to see “ where the leaves fall” with other Market Price deals coming up so he doesn’t over pay. All indications are still intent on resigning him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...vmEjFGudP4rJJNjDggxYNf_LT#lvgq0yvq0mm7pavaa42
No one is buying this crap. How is GM Jethro working on it by himself at 2 in the morning?

Just because he is having nightmares and can't sleep, that does not equal, he is working on it.

Everyone knows he is not working on it. Until he sits down with Dak's agent and has serious conversations, no one is buying this crap.

If GM Jethro believes he understands where the market is going, then why in the hell is he always over paying or being caught with his pants down, like with Zach Martin.

We drafted Beebe for a reason this year. I am sure Martin got the message. We should have drafted O'Cyrus last year. So it is obvious that GM Jethro can't read the tea leaves.