We will 0 - Weeden

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Weeden had that inexplicable, bonehead interception that you can't make and throwing high for Witten in the second half that could've sustained a drive.

That INT changed the game. It was downhill from there even tho we scored after that.

Brandon Weeden didn't attempt many passes downfield; rate his performance
You can tell either Weeden or the coaches or both don't want him making any throws that would be regarded as medium or high levels of difficulty. He threw 26 passes and I remember (two long ones) -- the seam route to Jason Witten, that was a high pass and a slant to Terrance Williams. Otherwise everything was within five yards of the line of scrimmage, and the Falcons adjusted appropriately. Once that happened, the Cowboys had an offense that had zero explosiveness. They were going to have to run the football right down the Falcons throats, and the Falcons would not have that. They stacked the box and quieted that idea in the second half.

Should the Cowboys have thrown more downfield?
Yes. Oh yes. That was their only chance -- catch the Falcons not taking their passing game seriously. And the time to try that is first down. I am pretty sure they never passed on first and they were pretty clear with their gameplan, which was try to work with a quarterback who can't run an NFL offense very well. The more we think about it, we should have seen that last week when they traded for Matt Cassel. Not that Cassel can do magic tricks. They were pretty sure what Brandon Weeden could not do.

Is there QB controversy now?
I'm not sure it's a controversy as much as it's trying to survive and win a few games between now and Nov. 22 (when Tony Romo is slated to return). There certainly is some hesitancy to be running Weeden out there many more times. You just cant have a 21-7 lead and throw that interception, and you can't slide in the backfield when you're down to your last chance and try to avoid contact. That probably right there, that play where it's third down and short and he's sliding for self-preservation, that will leave the coaches looking quickly into alternatives.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...shows-brandon-weeden-is-out-of-his-league.ece

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I agree with most of the comments about Weeden.

With that being said, this all really isn't on him. Fellas this team is just too banged up to win. I was as confident as anybody going into this year but it's unbelievable how this team has been hit with injures. I don't think I have ever seen it take such a hold of a team on such a widespread level on both sides of the ball. Combine that with the suspensions and what did you expect to happen today?

We'll be lucky to be in it when Romo and Dez and the whole team is close to be intact and on the field together. It's not really Weeden's fault for what is about to happen.

MagicMan

Reaction score
I agree you can't put this all on Weeden since the coaches know what they have in him and how he limits their playbook, but still have him as Romo's backup. Whats up with that?

Blaming the rooster for waking you up in the morning is idiotic. Either get up earlier or get rid of the rooster. Maybe we can get a hen, may also panic under pressure, but at least provide us with some eggs for the huevos rancheros. :thumbup:

Daillest88

Reaction score
I still don't know how he threw that INT, it was like 5 yards above wittens hands. Pathetic throw

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Yup, if you thought the 2nd half was bad, just watch out! Once teams get more and more film on Weeden's flaws in this offense, there won't be a 1st-half outburst with the short passing game like today. Weeden is done

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
That was just knee jerk reactions and getting emotional after an pathetic loss.

This is more of being realistic. With whom we play, we could easily lose all the games Weeden starts, unless this defense gets much better and I don't see it happening. Seattle and New England are already losses. Hell we may have lost those even with Romo. You have to split these 2 games, seeing the Saints are pretty weak and don't even have Brees.

You have to take some shots down field, even if just to put the thought in the defense's head. It's way too easy to defend what we were doing on offense. It may work for a few quarters but not the whole game.

Yeah. Last time was just knee jerk reactions. But this time we're really serious!

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Yeah. Last time was just knee jerk reactions. But this time we're really serious!

Are you being purposely obtuse? Can you really not distinguish between knee jerk, emotional takes and these?

We absolutely can lose every single one of these games. Weeden has shown zero that he can win us a game.

khiladi

Reaction score
Wasn't Weeden a first round draft pick? The idea that he should suffice as a bus driver throwing the ball five yards downfield is just dumb. You can get a bunch of guys that can challenge the secondary with some decency at the pro level.

If your going to lose, than lose playing like a pro.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Are you being purposely obtuse? Can you really not distinguish between knee jerk, emotional takes and these?

We absolutely can lose every single one of these games. Weeden has shown zero that he can win us a game.

We can lose every single one, but we probably won't. It stupid knee jerk reactionism just like it is every time you and your ilk complain and moan after every loss.

Yeah this one is different blah blah blah....I'm obtuse blah blah blah.

khiladi

Reaction score
He can throw the ball 80 yards, he has a cannon but not throwing deep must have been a coaching decision. Hardly any attempts to recievers has me thinking they wanted Weeden to keep it short

Annoys me to no end... This is a pro game and you only expect your players to throw five yards downfield as a bus driver for hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
It's not all Weeden's fault, but Atlanta decided at halftime that if they were going to lose , Weeden would have to beat them. And of course, Garret has no confidence in Weeden to let him throw some NFL caliber passes down the field. Had Weeden been able to convert 4 more first downs in the second half, it may have stopped the hemorrhaging. But Atlanta properly calculated that Weeden couldn't make a play, and Garrett wouldn't let him. Expect much more of this, as long as Weeden is playing QB. Now every team knows that Weeden can not make play to save his life.

Obviously, when Romo went down, Garret knew Weeden couldn't handle the job, so they went out and got Cassel. If he felt this way about Weeden, why not pick up Cassel when Buffalo cut him before the season?

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yup, if you thought the 2nd half was bad, just watch out! Once teams get more and more film on Weeden's flaws in this offense, there won't be a 1st-half outburst with the short passing game like today. Weeden is done

They've got several years of film on his flaws. Like most non-starting caliber QBs, he can't deal with pressure and can't be overloaded with too many defensive looks. Fortunately, we can at least mitigate the pressure side of the equation and let him focus on low-risk passing plays. Beyond that, the team has to buckle down this week in the film room/on the practice field and figure out why 28 points wasn't enough to keep us competitive in this game. By and large, it was because of a lack in pass rush against a lethal Matty Ice/Julio combo with the surprise RB attack. The Falcons aren't a great team but it's asking a lot of your defense to muster up a pass defense against a vaunted QB/WR combo without the help of Hardy, Gregory and Mincey all the while looking like they couldn't hedge their losses and at least stop Freeman from going AP on them. I'm not saying give the team a "pass" for laying an egg in the second half, but goodness gracious, by all accounts, on paper, we were not even supposed to be on the same field with them today.

We are at our weakest point right now in regards to our pass defense and high scoring offense. We could have done well to have a Jets, Bills, Panthers, or any other low-scoring run-based team to match up with, but unfortunately, we drew a pass-heavy team like the Falcons that exploited us to the fullest. Bad timing. 3-0 would have been nice, and we would have had it with Romo/Dez or Hardy/Gregory, but not without both. Bottom line, this was an "L" that is hard to swallow, but probably more so for the fact that we got false confidence in the first half. Had this been a blow-out loss, we'd probably be talking more about the guys on the bench than the guys on the active roster.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
I still don't know how he threw that INT, it was like 5 yards above wittens hands. Pathetic throw

I didn't get a chance to see the game, but maybe when you don't get a chance to find a rhythm with throws downfield, whether in practice or the game, the only time you throw it, you'll underestimate or overestimate the route and make a dumb pass..

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
12038875_618130451661414_2803399688609507327_o.jpg