We will collapse if we don't fix the Defense

JohnnyMac

Benched
Reaction score
Tony Ro can only carry us so far - like a power hitting team in baseball - sooner or later good pitching will beat them and in our case that's bad news - real bad news.

We don't have the pillar of strength defense to rely on - heck we're not even the bend but don't break variety of the 90's ..we just break after we give up chunk after chunk after chunk.

Have you ever seen a softer 2ndary? have you? it's a joke - how many 14-15 yard bullets did we just give up , not even bump at the line?

If I'm Aaron Rodgers - I can't sleep , I'm salivating to play Dallas - I'm watching film and trying to control my smile - this kid is gonna light us up - he's Big , mobile and an excellent intermediate route QB - I can easily see him at 22 of 29 for 315ish easily. He won't miss WR's like McNabb did and he has a better set of weapons on the outside.

Something drastic needs to change and soon.

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
The Eagles are really good and McNabb made some great plays. We held them to 7 in the second half.

superpunk

Reaction score
You're a joke coming back this morning just to stir **** up again after Hostile mercifully locked your last thread where you got 'debacled'.

We allowed 7.0 yards per attempt. That isn't great. But it's not terrible either. We allowed 3.4 yards per rush. Contemplate the performance more fully and pull your head out of your *** and stop aggravating people.

quaigs

Reaction score
Did you even watch the second half? The D held them to 111 total yards want more do you want?

links18

Reaction score
The defense actually had more sacks than the Eagles and pressured the QB more effectively than the vaunted Jim Johnson defense, especially in the 2nd half. I asked at halftime, were they going to make adjustments? I don't know what they did, but it worked, because we held them to 7 points in the 2nd half and started to get to McNabb. In reality, we probably should have had some more sacks that McNabb was just able to skirt away from. Give him credit, he is good at what he does.

That said: yes the pass defense is terrible. No improvement from last year at all so far. Seems more scheme than players though. Also, the defense needs to bring the heat consistently all game, not just in crunch time. Good that they were able to bring it in crunch time though! Still, I just don't understand the pass defense scheme. It doesn't seem to fit our personnel.

gazmc_06

Reaction score
For sake, stop with the complaints. We played a great team and won....take some time to enjoy it and stop being negative all the time.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
superpunk;2263138 said:
You're a joke coming back this morning just to stir **** up again after Hostile mercifully locked your last thread where you got 'debacled'.

We allowed 7.0 yards per attempt. That isn't great. But it's not terrible either. We allowed 3.4 yards per rush. Contemplate the performance more fully and pull your head out of your *** and stop aggravating people.

Agreed. THe defense played well when they had to and they held Philly to 7 points in the second half. Were there some problems? Sure, but they made adjustments and created some challenges for McNabb and Company. The Eagles are a very good team and our guys found a way to beat them, despite the mistakes. The coaches will have some fun with Tony in the film room, and you'll see continued improvement.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I was much more impressed w/ our defense in the second half. I saw 1 play where we rushed 3 and every one of them beat their man to the QB. McNabb is just a great scrambler.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Everyone is happy about the offense and the win last night. And surprisingly the special teams unit came through for us....a rare and very welcome sight.

But our defense, well it looked like the old 5-11 team defenses with far less talent. The second half was much better, but the first half performance is what 1-15 seasons are built on....unacceptable.

ZB9

Reaction score
defense has a long way to go, but it was good to see them get better as the game progressed. I guess they made a lot of adjustments because the Eagles only scored 7 in the second half.

They were especially money at the end.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
quaigs;2263160 said:
Did you even watch the second half? The D held them to 111 total yards want more do you want?

Some want complete, total, and utter dominance the likes of which only a handfull of defenses have ever seen.

I can't even begin to imagine how some people functioned from 2000-2003 when they REALLY had something to be upset about.

khiladi

Reaction score
links18;2263166 said:
I asked at halftime, were they going to make adjustments? I don't know what they did, but it worked, because we held them to 7 points in the 2nd half and started to get to McNabb.

We are lucky that McNabb fumbled, because the Eagles had just gotten the first down on twp plays that garnered 6 yards each. The drive before that, they put up a six minute drive beginning in the third quarter that started at their own 26 and went for a TD.

After that TD, our offense then took up 4 minutes to score again. When Philly got the ball back, the Eagles had a ten yard penalty that put them back.

Our defense did nothing spectatular even in the second half.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
its not how you start its how you finish.

Funny how that only applies to us being soft at the end of the season and playoffs, but it doesn't at all apply to individual games.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
dmq;2263187 said:
I was much more impressed w/ our defense in the second half. I saw 1 play where we rushed 3 and every one of them beat their man to the QB. McNabb is just a great scrambler.

Good point. Sometimes we don't give enough credit to the opposition. The Eagles played well and they have plenty of talent. Our defense made plays when they needed them. McNabb has impressive athletic skills and the media has been viewing him as an elite guy right through the early part of this year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The defense was not terrible last night. We only gave up 259 total passing yards to the top ranked Offense in the NFL after week one. We only gave up 78 yards rushing and 20 of those were of scrambles. Our problem is penalties, turnovers and special teams. Yep, special teams, again.

10 accepted penalties for 108 yards. According to NFL Game Book, the Eagles average gain per play was only 5.3 yards. That's not too bad. Two TOs that basically gave the Eagles 14 points, A terrible PI on our D that hurt, the fumble that really wasn't a fumble, I mean, the D did not play poorly IMO. Especially when you consider the opponent. Heck, we gave up a FG on the first kick off by kicking it out of bounds. We also gave up a critical kick off return at the very end of the game that could have seriously hurt us.

We registered 4 Sacks and numerous other pressures that really should have been Sacks. I give credit to McNappie. There were probably another 4 pressures that he escaped on just superior talent. We held that team to 7 points in the second half. That's pretty good IMO.

However, if we don't get our stuff together, we are going to suffer the same fate we did last year. NY was not better then we were. They were a better team. They beat us by not making the costly penalty or the TO or dropping the critical pass. We beat the Best team in the NFL, after week one, from a statistical standpoint. We commited 10 penalties, 2 very costly TOs and played very poorly on our Kick Off Coverages and we still beat a very good team in Philly. Imagine what we could be if we just played like we had a brain in our collective heads?

Trendnet

Reaction score
Didn't this exact same thread come up last thanksgiving...

about how Brett Favre was going to rip our defense to shreds?

How many yards did Favre get again?